ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Music Rush VS. Pink Floyd Vs. Queensryche (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=263549)

Deberg_1990 09-12-2012 09:13 AM

Rush VS. Pink Floyd Vs. Queensryche

Who ya got? Whos your "Go To" band when you need a Prog Rock fix?

mcaj22 09-12-2012 09:13 AM

slappppppppppppppppppppppppin da bass man

htismaqe 09-12-2012 09:15 AM

WTF?

One of these bands is not like the other.

Pink Floyd is in it a different class from the other bands...

KCUnited 09-12-2012 09:17 AM

I'll have to mullet over and then decide.

Deberg_1990 09-12-2012 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8903717)

Not according to this list

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/page...tistsprog.html

htismaqe 09-12-2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8903726)

OK, when Pink Floyd is FIFTH on a list that goes, 1-4:

Yes
King Crimson
Genesis
Emerson Lake & Palmer

You have a problem.

You wanna talk 70's prog rock? Great, let's talk about Rush and Yes, ELP and Kansas.

Leave Floyd out of it. It's insulting to them to put them on such a list.

On a similarly funny side note, check out #26. :D

Ace Gunner 09-12-2012 09:24 AM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oJf5ZbumlgY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Deberg_1990 09-12-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8903730)

Yes
King Crimson
Genesis
Emerson Lake & Palmer

You have a problem.

You wanna talk 70's prog rock? Great, let's talk about Rush and Yes, ELP and Kansas.

heh.....oh....I found another list. I guess Rolling Stone readers made this and voted Floyd and Rush #1 and #2 for Prog Rock bands. Take it for what its worth.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/...ml?no_takeover

Ace Gunner 09-12-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Yes
King Crimson
Genesis
Emerson Lake & Palmer

You have a problem.

agreed. and of that list, Yes & ELP are tops for me.

HemiEd 09-12-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Yes
King Crimson
Genesis
Emerson Lake & Palmer

You have a problem.

This

Ace Gunner 09-12-2012 09:26 AM

the floyd is "space rock" imo.

listopencil 09-12-2012 09:26 AM

If Pink Floyd is Prog, then they are the best Prog band of all time.

cosmo20002 09-12-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8903712)

So Prog Rock = a theme/concept often running through the album, too many keyboards, and perhaps a flute makes an appearance

Rush is probably the best of this mostly-forgettable genre.
I don't really think of Pink Floyd as Prog, but I suppose they are kinda sorta on the edge of it.

Dr. Johnny Fever 09-12-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8903712)

Of those 3 my answer would be Pink Floyd...... but my choice would be Alan Parsons Project.

BoneKrusher 09-12-2012 09:30 AM

RUSH works for me altho i like Floyd a lot as well.

htismaqe 09-12-2012 09:31 AM

I think a lot of people forget that Pink Floyd was really 2 bands, 2 really different bands.

Their sound in the late 60's with Syd was very different from how they evolved with Waters in charge and Gilmour playing guitar.

MOhillbilly 09-12-2012 09:31 AM

Floyd

cosmo20002 09-12-2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

WTF?

The Beatles are #52. Many things wrong with that.

BoneKrusher 09-12-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8903761)

Their sound in the late 60's with Syd was very different from how they evolved with Waters in charge and Gilmour playing guitar.

one of my Fav songs from the 60's version of Floyd is See Emily Play.

Lzen 09-12-2012 09:34 AM

My go to prog rock band would be Dream Theater. But I like those other bands, as well. Surprised Porcupine Tree is all the way down at #49. :hmmm:

On a related note, I believe Geoffe (sp?) Tate was kicked out of Queensryche recently. I haven't really listened to them much in recent years. They were at their peak when they released Operation Mindcrime. Also loved Rage For Order and The Warning.

Lzen 09-12-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 8903764)
The Beatles are #52. Many things wrong with that.

WTH? :shake:

htismaqe 09-12-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoneKrusher (Post 8903768)
one of my Fav songs from the 60's version of Floyd is See Emily Play.

I picked up the European-only release of "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" while living in Germany. It's a solid album from front to back and is actually my favorite Pink Floyd album. I'm kind of partial to the quirkiness of Syd's songwriting.

Start Croyle 09-12-2012 09:37 AM

Queensryche? Very cheesy 80s band!

Pink Floyd? They are responsible for some of the most bland, uninteresting, boring music ever produced!

I am not really a Rush fan, but I can say I like them way more than the other two!

Honestly, none of these three are what I would consider 'progressive rock!'

htismaqe 09-12-2012 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 8903771)
My go to prog rock band would be Dream Theater. But I like those other bands, as well. Surprised Porcupine Tree is all the way down at #49. :hmmm:

On a related note, I believe Geoffe (sp?) Tate was kicked out of Queensryche recently. I haven't really listened to them much in recent years. They were at their peak when they released Operation Mindcrime. Also loved Rage For Order and The Warning.

Did you see #26 by chance?

I'm still waiting to see if somebody "gets it".

lcarus 09-12-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Johnny Fever (Post 8903756)
Of those 3 my answer would be Pink Floyd...... but my choice would be Alan Parsons Project.

I like Alan Parsons Project. I need to hear more of their stuff. Any suggestions? I've only really heard their hits.

As far as the topic, Pink Floyd is #1 for me without hesitating. I think I like Queensryche more than Rush, but I like them both a lot. Queensryche is another band I need to look into more of their "deep cuts". I've heard most Rush albums all the way through. 2112 is a masterpiece.

siberian khatru 09-12-2012 09:42 AM

My top-tier favorite bands of all time (and yes, there's a bit of a cheat in counting):

1a. Yes
1b. Genesis
2. King Crimson
3. The Who
4. Porcupine Tree
5. Pink Floyd
6. Led Zeppelin
7. Rush
8. ELP
9. Moody Blues

There's even strands of prog in The Who and Zep.

Edit: I went ahead and expanded the list to 10 bands ... although the more I think the harder it is to cut it off.

Deberg_1990 09-12-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8903781)

I dont get it?

beach tribe 09-12-2012 09:44 AM

You really just inserted them in this debate?

siberian khatru 09-12-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Hawkwind isn't prog?

They're more psychedelic stoner space metal.

Reerun_KC 09-12-2012 09:46 AM

Everyone needs their Tom Sawyer fix....

:facepalm:

Fish 09-12-2012 09:50 AM

Pink Floyd, and it's not even close.

It still amazes me how Rush can have the fans they do. It's just awful awful prepubescent high school crap. Never understood that...

htismaqe 09-12-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8903800)
I dont get it?

Well, they're not really "progressive". But that's not it...

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 8903806)
Hawkwind isn't prog?

Hawkwind was Lemmy's first band. :D

frankotank 09-12-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

very nice on the APP. I have a cool APP hat from a concert from years ago. still wear it.
Floyd is by far the better of the three.

by the way...I saw Yes last year at starlight open for Styx. I was very excited to see them....then they sucked.....
just saying.....

siberian khatru 09-12-2012 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8903827)
Well, they're not really "progressive". But that's not it...

Hawkwind was Lemmy's first band. :D

I remember that. But when did Lemmy or Motorhead enter this discussion? :p

Frazod 09-12-2012 10:06 AM

1. Floyd
2. Queensryche
Distant 3rd. Rush

Chief Pote 09-12-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

I think a lot of people forget that Pink Floyd was really 2 bands, 2 really different bands.

Syd Barrett could have been the poster child for "a brain is a terrible thing to waste".

Ace Gunner 09-12-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Ya, most folks have no idea what ummagumma is yet they call themselves PF fans.

Changing one member can make a huge difference.

Rush is another band that had two different sounds. The first album with "working man" is completely garage grunge from the day compared with 2112 et al because the drummer was replaced with Neal Peart.

Lzen 09-12-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Start Croyle (Post 8903777)
Queensryche? Very cheesy 80s band!

Pink Floyd? They are responsible for some of the most bland, uninteresting, boring music ever produced!

I am not really a Rush fan, but I can say I like them way more than the other two!

Honestly, none of these three are what I would consider 'progressive rock!'

Queensryche a cheesy 80s band? You are dumb.

Lzen 09-12-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

I saw that you mentioned that one. I don't know who/what is Hawkwind.

htismaqe 09-12-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 8903852)
I remember that. But when did Lemmy or Motorhead enter this discussion? :p

I just think Lemmy might want to punch whoever made this list in the face. I can't imagine he likes being on a list with Yes. ROFL

Dr. Johnny Fever 09-12-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 8903785)
I like Alan Parsons Project. I need to hear more of their stuff. Any suggestions? I've only really heard their hits.

As far as the topic, Pink Floyd is #1 for me without hesitating. I think I like Queensryche more than Rush, but I like them both a lot. Queensryche is another band I need to look into more of their "deep cuts". I've heard most Rush albums all the way through. 2112 is a masterpiece.

The "Gaudi" album is my favorite. "Tales of Mystery & Imagination" (the works of Edgar Allen Poe) is awesome, "Ammonia Avenue," "Eye In The Sky," "The Turn Of A Friendly Card," and "Stereotomy" albums are my favorites pretty much in order. All the others are good too imo and worth listening to as well... depends on which style you like the most.

APP wasn't actually a touring band (much). They were/are just what the name says... Producer Alan Parsons' Project. He (Alan) did play a lot but almost never sings. There were guys who appeared on most albums and singer Eric Woolfson (amazingly smooth) was always along as kind of a partner and consistant sound, but a lot of other guest vocalists and musicians came and went.

MahiMike 09-12-2012 10:14 AM

Pink Floyd=NFL

Rush=College

Queensryche=High school flunkies

siberian khatru 09-12-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8903881)
I just think Lemmy might want to punch whoever made this list in the face. I can't imagine he likes being on a list with Yes. ROFL

LMAO :thumb:

htismaqe 09-12-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefPote (Post 8903865)
Syd Barrett could have been the poster child for "a brain is a terrible thing to waste".

You should read the book "A Saucerful of Secrets". Syd tried to quit doing acid but the other band members suspect members of his entourage continued to dose him because they thought he needed it. He suffered from some kind of mental illness and it was horribly aggravated by LSD.

In fact, there's a story in there about how a bald fat man, kind of homeless-looking, sat in the studio for part of the recording of "Wish You Were Here" which was of course about Syd. The band didn't realize until after the man left that it actually WAS the once stereotypical "sexy frontman" Syd Barrett. He had declined that much in just about 6 years.

htismaqe 09-12-2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 8903880)
I saw that you mentioned that one. I don't know who/what is Hawkwind.

The band Lemmy quit to form Motorhead.

Ace Gunner 09-12-2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefPote (Post 8903865)

The music Sid made was not for everyone, but his contribution to humanity was hardly a waste. He is considered a pioneer in his art.

threebag 09-12-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 8903763)
Floyd

this

Ace Gunner 09-12-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8903891)
You should read the book "A Saucerful of Secrets". Syd tried to quit doing acid but the other band members suspect members of his entourage continued to dose him because they thought he needed it. He suffered from some kind of mental illness and it was horribly aggravated by LSD.

In fact, there's a story in there about how a bald fat man, kind of homeless-looking, sat in the studio for part of the recording of "Wish You Were Here" which was of course about Syd. The band didn't realize until after the man left that it actually WAS the once stereotypical "sexy frontman" Syd Barrett. He had declined that much in just about 6 years.

Schizophrenia. And that disease has other precursor diseases, like bipolar disorder etc.

This set of diseases are most often aggravated when psychotropic drugs such as LSD are introduced, but anything can trigger episodes at any point in a person's life. For example, poor nourishment can trigger these diseases and often does;

"BIPOLAR DISORDER

Individuals with bipolar or manic-depressive disorder often have an underlying imbalance of slow oxidation and often copper imbalance. In addition, they often have a four highs pattern on a hair test or others indicating extreme stress. The combination of these two traits leads to the common pattern of days of high energy followed by a period of very low energy and depression. This can be corrected in most cases with nutritional balancing science in a relatively short time of months, usually, and with relatively little difficulty if one is willing to follow the program carefully.

SCHIZOPHRENIA

Copper imbalance, mercury toxicity, manganese toxicity, cadmium toxicity and other imbalances are associated with schizophrenias. Most respond beautifully to balancing the body chemistry. Results can be fast, but may take longer if a person is far out of balance.

Copper and Schizophrenia. Joan, age 18, was a patient in Scottsdale Camelback Hospital with a diagnosis of schizophrenia. She responded poorly to medication and psychotherapy. Tissue mineral testing revealed a copper level of 40 mg%, about 15 times normal. Joan was placed on a diet and nutritional supplements to reduce tissue copper.

Her condition improved so radically she was released from all psychiatric care within six months, and returned to high school the following September. Excess tissue copper stimulates the biogenic amines, neurotransmitters associated with depression, anxiety, mood swings and schizophrenia. Copper imbalance is quite common but goes undiagnosed because the tissue mineral test is not often done. "

http://www.drlwilson.com/articles/em...d_behavior.htm

Stewie 09-12-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

We know Alan Parsons was a huge contributor to Dark Side of the Moon. I believe he was credited as "engineer" but from what I've read he was doing alot of the producing due to the new and innovative "sounds" that he brought to the table. He carried that skill on to his own band. Always a front-runner.

Dr. Johnny Fever 09-12-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 8903978)
We know Alan Parsons was a huge contributor to Dark Side of the Moon. I believe he was credited as "engineer" but from what I've read he was doing alot of the producing due to the new and innovative "sounds" that he brought to the table. He carried that skill on to his own band. Always a front-runner.

He produced/co-produced Abbey Road and Let It Be for The Beatles too.

KC_Lee 09-12-2012 10:57 AM

Rush is my prog rock go to band, burnt out of Floyd. Don't get me wrong, they are an amazing band and are responsible for some of the greatest music ever I just can't hear it anymore.

Love Queensryche, saw them last year (or what's left of the band) live here in Nashville.

Reaper16 09-12-2012 11:00 AM

I'm not clicking on that link because I think it'd piss me off even more than a lot of the posts in this thread have.

Pink Floyd is my favorite of the three prog bands in the thread title, fwiw.

BoneKrusher 09-12-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 8903806)
Hawkwind isn't prog?

Lemmy from Motorhead was in Hawkwind, wasnt he?
edit*i see it's already mentioned*

vailpass 09-12-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

WTF?

Absolutely. In more ways than one.

kc rush 09-12-2012 11:07 AM

I don't know. I'll have to think about this for a...

Rush.

ChiefRocka 09-12-2012 11:09 AM

"Hush now don't ya cry..."

BoneKrusher 09-12-2012 11:10 AM

mother

Frosty 09-12-2012 11:18 AM

Rush was my first concert (my sophomore year in HS). It was the Permanent Waves tour and I really liked that album (and still do). I wasn't a huge Rush fan though and only owned PW and 2112. I didn't like Tom Sawyer when it came out and fell away from listening to them after that.

My 18 year old son has really gotten into classic rock and I bought him 2112 and Rush's latest greatest hits CD to give him a taste of what they are like. I like hearing the songs again but I still probably wouldn't seek them out.

Pink Floyd's The Wall came out my soph year and I loved that album and about wore out my record. I still love that album though Wish You Were Here is my favorite PF album. I call myself a Pink Floyd fan but in reality I basically just like Meddle, Animals, Wish, The Wall and Dark Side. The Final Cut sucked, the post Waters stuff is okay but not great and I'm not enough of a prog fan to get into their early stuff (though I know most of the songs).

I didn't like Queensryche when they came out and haven't heard anything to change my mind.

I am not a big prog rock fan (never liked Yes or ELP) but I still have some records of some of the bands on that top 100 list like Uriah Heap and Eloy. Eloy is okay but I mostly bought the record because I liked the album art (the artist did a lot of metal album cover art in the 80's) and it was clear vinyl. :D

Ace Gunner 09-12-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 8903978)

Alan Parsons was a staff engineer at Abbey Road Studios and worked on the Beatles' albums before DSOTM. He was already an accomplished pro and he brought plenty of skills to that PF album. The work was done at AR Studios.

There is some good video footage documenting that whole session. From the "crazy guy" vocal capture of the staff RM to the woman that, without tabs or any real musical guidance, nailed the maternal yet haunting female vocal during "the great gig in the sky". More here;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Side_of_the_Moon

Video;

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GLqkwGfwajs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

htismaqe 09-12-2012 11:25 AM

The early Floyd stuff isn't prog, it's psychedelia.

Ace Gunner 09-12-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8904092)
The early Floyd stuff isn't prog, it's psychedelia.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wbIMx2MYNXk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

htismaqe 09-12-2012 11:41 AM

I think the distinction, at least in my mind, is in the METHOD.

Prog rock produces increasingly complex and interesting ideas through application of musical theory and technique.

Syd Barret produced increasingly complex and interesting ideas in a completely random, non-technical way, much like other psychedelic songwriters at the time.

Rausch 09-12-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8904159)

Syd Barret produced increasingly complex and interesting ideas in a completely random, non-technical way, much like other psychedelic songwriters at the time.

The rest of the Floyd though were very technical and got their hands on any and every piece of technology they could.

Black Bob 09-12-2012 11:43 AM

Pink Floyd for sure. I am Rushed out...

Reaper16 09-12-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8904159)
I think the distinction, at least in my mind, is in the METHOD.

Prog rock produces increasingly complex and interesting ideas through application of musical theory and technique.

It's easy to see why Pink Floyd transitioned to being a progressive rock band, though. Psychedelia could basically be considered proto-prog much in the same way that Led Zepplin plays a sort of proto-metal.

htismaqe 09-12-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 8904167)
The rest of the Floyd though were very technical and got their hands on any and every piece of technology they could.

That's why I specifically said the EARLY Floyd stuff really can't be considered prog...

htismaqe 09-12-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8904185)
It's easy to see why Pink Floyd transitioned to being a progressive rock band, though. Psychedelia could basically be considered proto-prog much in the same way that Led Zepplin plays a sort of proto-metal.

I can agree with that.

You just have to be careful with strict definitions, otherwise someone gets the impression that Boston is "progressive rock". :D

Bugeater 09-12-2012 12:16 PM

How is Queensryche even in the conversation?

Frazod 09-12-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 8904332)

They're better than ****ing Rush.

Frosty 09-12-2012 12:24 PM

That top 100 list has Styx and Primus on it. I'm not enough into arguing over what is and isn't prog rock to know for sure but those two wouldn't have been the first to spring to mind (the Beatles either).

Reaper16 09-12-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 8904332)

I dunno. They aren't as legendary or as popular.

That said, they have two albums that are quite good (The Warning and Empire), a self-titled EP that is GREAT, and their album Operation: Mindcrime might just be the very best rock album of the 1980's.

htismaqe 09-12-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8904376)
their album Operation: Mindcrime might just be the very best rock album of the 1980's.

Whoa, whoa, whoa...hold up...

Reaper16 09-12-2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8904384)
Whoa, whoa, whoa...hold up...

It's absolutely in the conversation, IMO. It's a near-flawless album.

Pablo 09-12-2012 12:47 PM

Pink Floyd by a lot.

tooge 09-12-2012 12:53 PM

three totally different bands with three totally different sounds. Sitting around a campfire after midnight is Pink Floyd time. Cruisin to a fishin trip is Rush time, workin out is Queensryche time.

KCUnited 09-12-2012 12:55 PM

Silent Lucidity makes me want to pitchfork embryos.

Reaper16 09-12-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 8904480)

To be fair to brutality, so should a lot of the death metal and grindcore you usually listen to.

Frazod 09-12-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 8904480)

Dare I even ask what kind of vile shit you listen to? Never mind, I'm sure I don't want to know. :shake:

KCUnited 09-12-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8904519)
To be fair to brutality, so should a lot of the death metal and grindcore you usually listen to.

That actually creates a zen-like effect and in regards to Silent Lucidity, it wasn't so much the song as the exposure it got. You couldn't wipe the bbq sauce off your Zubaz in the early 1990's without hearing it.

Reaper16 09-12-2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 8904542)
That actually creates a zen-like effect and in regards to Silent Lucidity, it wasn't so much the song as the exposure it got. You couldn't wipe the bbq sauce off your Zubaz in the early 1990's without hearing it.

I wasn't talking about quality, but about literal inspiration.