ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Had to put our dog down today:( (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=145750)

hawkchief 08-16-2006 10:32 PM

Had to put our dog down today:(

Jake - 12 year old lab. Hips were shot and had diabetes. What a great friend and teddy bear for our entire family. Fantastic pet - dogs have to be one of God's finest creations.

morphius 08-16-2006 10:36 PM

Sorry about that man, sounds like it was a good time to put that dog down, not much worse then watching a dog suffer through that.

ChiefFan31 08-16-2006 10:38 PM

Thats too bad man.

Went through that with the Family dog a few years back. He was my buddy :)

CosmicPal 08-16-2006 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkchief
dogs have to be one of God's finest creations.

Totally agree.

My heart goes out to you though- it's always a tough loss.

ChiTown 08-16-2006 10:56 PM

I hate hearing that. My condolences for your families loss.

Chi
~fellow dog lover

listopencil 08-16-2006 11:05 PM

Sorry to hear that. We had to put our Black Lab/Pitt Bull to sleep a few years ago. He was 14.

Phobia 08-16-2006 11:07 PM

Sorry to hear it. Contrary to what lots of people say, get a puppy right away. A puppy can bury the grief pretty quickly.

hawkchief 08-16-2006 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia
Sorry to hear it. Contrary to what lots of people say, get a puppy right away. A puppy can bury the grief pretty quickly.

Thanks for the kind thoughts and suggestion, everyone

Actually, my wife and I took a preemptive measure a few months ago and bought of all things, a Westie, her and my 7 & 9 year old daughters' dream dog. I have surprisingly grown to like the little guy (I'm really a lab lover), and I think he actually added some joy to Jake's life. I suspect he will cushion the blow a bit for my girls, and probably me.

Hammock Parties 08-16-2006 11:17 PM

I hope you took lots of photos. I have hundreds of photos of my current dog because I know someday she will be gone.

Mosbonian 08-16-2006 11:21 PM

My condolences to you.....I am not looking forward to the day we have to do the same with our Shitzu-Pekingnese....he's only 7 years old but he has already gotten that gray beard look around his mouth.

Plus he's gotten crankier a lot lately.

mmaddog

hawkchief 08-16-2006 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoChiefs
I hope you took lots of photos. I have hundreds of photos of my current dog because I know someday she will be gone.

Funny you should bring that up. We opened up photo albums of our kids tonight to see what pictures we had of him. Turns out he managed to get most of his 110lbs. in the majority of our photos! Like most labs, he liked to be part of our family 'pile" as we called it, and was never more than a few feet away from someone, regardless of the time of day or night.

Phobia 08-16-2006 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoChiefs

She's hoping you'll be gone someday as well - both the dog and your mother.

hawkchief 08-16-2006 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmaddog
My condolences to you.....I am not looking forward to the day we have to do the same with our Shitzu-Pekingnese....he's only 7 years old but he has already gotten that gray beard look around his mouth.

Plus he's gotten crankier a lot lately.

mmaddog

Thanks. Hopefully you've got another 7 to go.!

I did realize more clearly tonight that I'd spent the past 3 years or so in quite a bit of anguish watching the old boy grow old and essentially die a slow death. As much joy as they bring you when they are young and virile, it's a challenge to essentially spend their last few years dreading the trip to the vet and experience we had today. I guess that's the bad that comes with the good and perhaps it's a reminder that we are all aging, more rapidly than we might care to admit.

SBK 08-16-2006 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia

We had a lab die when we took him in to get neutered. ( I can't say as I blame him ROFL), and we got a lab puppy within a week or two. I can't say how quickly the pain went away, it was crazy.

Our new lab turns 3 around Thanksgiving, so he's just now getting out of his puppy stage. (Thank goodness)

greg63 08-16-2006 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkchief
Jake - 12 year old lab. Hips were shot and had diabetes. What a great friend and teddy bear for our entire family. Fantastic pet - dogs have to be one of God's finest creations.

Agreed; sorry to it.