ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Relocation to Omaha (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=171899)

Molitoth 10-09-2007 07:09 AM

The Upstream Brewery in the old market should be a regular hangout.

ClearmontChief 10-09-2007 07:22 AM

I re-read some of your specific questions. North Omaha is horrible. Lots of crime, drive bys, and murders. Not a good area in the slightest. I don't know what that compares to, but I would NEVER go there.

The Qwest Center is nice. I'd say getting tickets to major events in no different that Sprint...it's a Ticketmaster outlet. UNO Hockey is pretty big.

There's also minor-league Hockey being played in the Mid-America Center in Council Bluffs. Lots of concerts there too.

Bass-Pro shop in Council Bluffs, Cabellas in LaVista. If you're into hunting/fishing, it's a nice area too.

Bearcat 10-09-2007 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClearmontChief
My biggest problem with Omaha is the tax base. Especially those areas you've mentioned. LaVista, Papillion, Bellevue. They all have high property taxes...compared to living across the Missouri River in Iowa. I have a new cabin, 3 story - nice place, on 5 acres in the Loess Hills south of Glenwood, Iowa. My house is approximately valued around 240,000. I pay 2750 per year in taxes. My co-worker has a brand new home in Omaha, worth about 125,000...he pays more property tax than I do, 2800! My boss's house is worth about 330,000 in Tregaron (an up-scale area in Bellevue) he pays over 6,000 and closer to 7,000!!!

Omaha has a wheel tax that everyone in city limits has to pay. Also, vehicle registration. In Iowa if a pickup is brand new, or 40 years old, it costs 65.00 to register each year...with no annual, bi-annual or whatever safety inspection. A new car starts around 250, and goes down each year until it only costs 35.00 per year when it's 7 years old. In Nebraska, it's several hundred...year after year after year.

Thanks for the info.. I read a little about that, and have read that it's almost better to rent. I thought a benefit of Papillion was lower property taxes, but I guess I misread something.

The wheel tax is only like $30, but tags will probably be at least a few hundred for my car every year, which is beyond ridiculous. With that kind of money, I hope the roads are flawless STFU

Phobia 10-09-2007 07:25 AM

They have a nice zoo, dude.

Simplex3 10-09-2007 07:26 AM

The Niobrara is a fantastic lazy canoe trip. Sand bottom, so it should even be good in a tube.

Bearcat 10-09-2007 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia
They have a nice zoo, dude.

You would have been #1000 if it wasn't for the homeless guy who told me the same thing this morning.

Dr. Johnny Fever 10-09-2007 08:24 AM

Congrats Bearcat!

rtuimauga 10-09-2007 08:50 AM

Okay I lurk here more than I post but I moved to Omaha just shy of a year ago from Kansas City and so I might be able to chime in with my 2 cents. Omaha is ............OMAHA. I came here for work which involves buying and selling investment properties (residential, commercial etc,etc) for a firm out in CA and so I have had to educate myself about all the pro's and con's of this place. I don't go out much but the old market seems like a pretty cool place, kind of a like westport. I live out on the westisde where all the growth is happening right now and I am still only 25 minutes from Downtown. I lived in the northland by Zona Rosa before the move and where I am now is very similar. My biggest beef with this place is taxes. Property taxes are downright ridiculous. The mill levy here is 2.3%-3% vs 1.25% in K.C. This equates to around $3,750 a year or $312.50 a month in taxes on a $150k house. I travel back to K.C every other week and the more I come back there the more I miss it. Gas is usually 5-10 cents more but other than that it is not that bad. They are as crazy about there Huskers here as we are with the Chiefs. Same vibe, same hospitality. Before I moved here I used to joke that the best thing to do in Omaha was Leave! It's not that bad and like you I travel to CA, UT and ID alot so it's o.k. If you need help with a place to stay, let me know. Rent or buy I can help you out. Good Luck and I hope it works out for you.

Bugeater 10-09-2007 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat
Thanks for the info.. I read a little about that, and have read that it's almost better to rent. I thought a benefit of Papillion was lower property taxes, but I guess I misread something.

The wheel tax is only like $30, but tags will probably be at least a few hundred for my car every year, which is beyond ridiculous. With that kind of money, I hope the roads are flawless STFU

I'm not sure you'll save much on property tax in Papillion, they're bad across the board in NE because of our low population base. I pay $2700/yr on a house valued at $120K. You'll also pay 5% sales tax in Sarpy County (Papillion, LaVista, Bellevue) as opposed to 7% in the city of Omaha. No sales tax on food (except prepared foods) anywhere.

Not sure what you drive, but for an example our '98 Camry was around $120 to renew this year including the wheel tax and my '94 Caravan was around $90. Oh and our roads suck and are constantly under construction.

JazzzLovr 10-09-2007 04:10 PM

Quote:

You would have been #1000 if it wasn't for the homeless guy who told me the same thing this morning.

Bob Dole isn't really homeless, he just looks that way. ;)

Congrats on the new job! I hope you enjoy it!

Bugeater 10-09-2007 04:14 PM

Quote:

I re-read some of your specific questions. North Omaha is horrible. Lots of crime, drive bys, and murders. Not a good area in the slightest. I don't know what that compares to, but I would NEVER go there.

LOL it's not THAT bad. It's not south central LA, there's nowhere in this city that you will get in trouble just by being there.

ClearmontChief 10-09-2007 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater
LOL it's not THAT bad. It's not south central LA, there's nowhere in this city that you will get in trouble just by being there.

I suppose that's a matter of opinion. I was there ONCE. Drove through to go look at a used pickup truck further North. My PG wife had to pee...stopped at a McDonalds. As we were leaving, we suddenly were surrounded and backed our way to the car. And, yes, I saw a blade. Only thing we did was stop to pee while being white.

Bugeater 10-09-2007 04:42 PM

Quote:

I suppose that's a matter of opinion. I was there ONCE. Drove through to go look at a used pickup truck further North. My PG wife had to pee...stopped at a McDonalds. As we were leaving, we suddenly were surrounded and backed our way to the car. And, yes, I saw a blade. Only thing we did was stop to pee while being white.

Huh, I haven't heard too many stories like that over the years. I used to work for a slumlord who owned properties up that way and I never had any problems, never even felt intimidated. I'm sure things happen on occasions though, it's certainly not a desirable place to be.

Rain Man 10-09-2007 05:11 PM

Quote:

The title is Technology Consultant, but it's not really what I'd think of as a consultant... hardware/software installs, testing, programming/customization. I really like the current company I work for, but sometimes I feel like technology isn't even on their radar. It'll be nice to finally get the experience I've been looking for while working in a culture that feeds my workaholism :)

Cool. I guess. Truthfully, I don't really know anything about this stuff.

But...workaholic? We have room in my company for workaholics.

Bearcat 10-09-2007 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtuimauga
I live out on the westisde where all the growth is happening right now and I am still only 25 minutes from Downtown. I lived in the northland by Zona Rosa before the move and where I am now is very similar.

Rent or buy I can help you out. Good Luck and I hope it works out for you.

I live a couple of miles from Zona Rosa at the moment, and really like living north of the river. I don't have a lot of time to spend in Omaha, so I'm trying to narrow down my visits as much as possible... most of the places I have an interest in are south of I-80 and west of 72nd, and there are a few northwest of that.

The area isn't real far from downtown, and unlike Kansas City, it looks as if it's just as easy to get around without needing to jump on a highway (I'd much prefer getting somewhere fast, but when it comes to traffic, I'd rather keep moving).

Thanks, I'll be renting for now. I've seen a few good deals... saw one last night that is in the middle of a golf course, which would be kind of cool... besides, you know, the flying golf balls.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater
I'm not sure you'll save much on property tax in Papillion, they're bad across the board in NE because of our low population base. I pay $2700/yr on a house valued at $120K. You'll also pay 5% sales tax in Sarpy County (Papillion, LaVista, Bellevue) as opposed to 7% in the city of Omaha. No sales tax on food (except prepared foods) anywhere.

Not sure what you drive, but for an example our '98 Camry was around $120 to renew this year including the wheel tax and my '94 Caravan was around $90. Oh and our roads suck and are constantly under construction.

Ew... at least I won't have to worry about major property taxes for a little while. My car's a 2006, which I already pay too much for, so what's a few hundred more :banghead: But, I guess for every $50 a week in food, I'll end up saving $120 a year.