ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Need vehicle opinions - Jeep Grand Cherokee (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270706)

Bugeater 03-04-2013 10:23 AM

Need vehicle opinions - Jeep Grand Cherokee

So I'm thinking about breaking my streak of buying minivans at 5, and am considering a small SUV. I like the style of the 99-02 years, and they're in my price range.

Anyone have experiences with these? There seems to be a lot of them out there. I'm leaning towards one with the IL 6 cyl since it probably does better on gas and the V8 is really crammed in there and likely a bitch to work on.

Thoughts?

stonedstooge 03-04-2013 10:28 AM

This one looks good

http://static.cargurus.com/images/si...pic-20068.jpeg

gblowfish 03-04-2013 10:29 AM

I have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 225,000 miles. I have the 4.0 liter straight six engine.

All the old beat to shit Jeeps you see on the road (even the old square body Cherokees) have that straight six engine. That engine design goes all the was back to the original Hudson Hornet automobile. Except now, they're fuel injected.

Jeeps are hard on batteries, brakes and are prone to electrical issues. I've replaced three of the four power window motors, had problems with the instrument cluster for windows and mirrors on the driver door, had to put in a new seat -the power seat frame is notorious for breaking, bad welds. But the power train has been great, and haven't had any spots on the body rust through.

Gas mileage on a six is actually just a couple miles better than a V8, but the engine is much more reliable and easier to work on.

Unless you plan to tow something, you really don't need the V8.

Bugeater 03-04-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonedstooge (Post 9462743)

Dude, you have no idea how much I wish I was buying that instead.

gblowfish 03-04-2013 10:31 AM

Oh, I had to rebuild the rear axle on mine twice. Once at 80,000 miles, and again at 200,000 miles. This last time it cost about $700.

Bugeater 03-04-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 9462746)
I have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 225,000 miles. I have the 4.0 liter straight six engine.

All the old beat to shit Jeeps you see on the road (even the old square body Cherokees) have that straight six engine. That engine design goes all the was back to the original Hudson Hornet automobile. Except now, they're fuel injected.

Jeeps are hard on batteries, brakes and are prone to electrical issues. I've replaced three of the four power window motors, had problems with the instrument cluster for windows and mirrors on the driver door, had to put in a new seat -the power seat frame is notorious for breaking, bad welds. But the power train has been great, and haven't had any spots on the body rust through.

Gas mileage on a six is actually just a couple miles better than a V8, but the engine is much more reliable and easier to work on.

Unless you plan to tow something, you really don't need the V8.

225k and no transmission issues? That's what really scares me with any Chrysler product.

The electrical gremlins can be frustrating too, I've fought them with my latest Caravan. The must be a ChryCo thing as well.

gblowfish 03-04-2013 10:35 AM

Luckily, my transmission has been OK. I've had it serviced a couple times by Certified, but just as routine maintenance.

I had a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee before the 2002 I own now. It got a motor mount broken, and I had to get that fixed. I sold it with about 150,000 miles on it. The guy who bought it in 2002 is still driving it. I see it every once in awhile out here in my home town.

Exoter175 03-04-2013 11:29 AM

Stay away from the V8 in any Jeep, and if you must buy a jeep, buy a 4 liter inline 6 and nothing else.

Plan to fix the following:
-Radiator hoses
-Anything electrical

Plan to replace/change frequently:
-Spark Plugs
-Front/Rear Diff fluids

Enjoy the following:
-Driving in Snow
-Driving on Ice
-Driving through a creek
-Rock Crawling
-Your new assortment of Tow Chains, Hooks, and Ropes
-Your friends loving you in snow season for free pull outs
-Lots of hi-fives for owning a 4 liter inline 6 jeep

What you wont' enjoy:
-Gas Mileage
-Squeaks and rattles
-Having friends call you all the time to pull them out

Bugeater 03-04-2013 11:37 AM

Ugh. How bad of gas mileage are we talking here?

Buehler445 03-04-2013 11:41 AM

My biggest problem with Jeeps is they never have enough room to cram my big ass in them. I've never once ridden in a Jeep with adequate leg room. IIRC, you're not that much shorter than I am. Make sure you drive one good and far before you cut the check.

Deberg_1990 03-04-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9462880)

Jeeps have never been known for their good gas mileage.

gblowfish 03-04-2013 11:43 AM

On my 2002, I usually get about 18 city, about 21 highway. Mine is leaking a little bit of oil now, lose about 1/2 quart every 5,000 miles. No biggie.

Brock 03-04-2013 11:43 AM

They're solid. As others have said, the inline six is the way to go.

burt 03-04-2013 11:46 AM

All great and valid advice! PLUS on a Jeep...a little damage only gives it character!!

Frosty 03-04-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9462754)
225k and no transmission issues? That's what really scares me with any Chrysler product.

On the regular Cherokees, the auto tranny is an Aisin transmission and is really solid (also used in some Toyota pickups of that vintage). Don't know if that's the case with the Grand Cherokees with the 4.0L, though.

Bugeater 03-04-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9462887)
My biggest problem with Jeeps is they never have enough room to cram my big ass in them. I've never once ridden in a Jeep with adequate leg room. IIRC, you're not that much shorter than I am. Make sure you drive one good and far before you cut the check.

Yeah, that's a concern of mine. I kinda wanted some feedback before I spent the time looking at and driving them. I drove a Durango the other day and I loved it, but I don't like the engine choices that are available in them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 9462895)
On my 2002, I usually get about 18 city, about 21 highway. Mine is leaking a little bit of oil now, lose about 1/2 quart every 5,000 miles. No biggie.

Oh, that's not terrible. My V6 Dakota doesn't even do that well.

kaplin42 03-04-2013 11:53 AM

Bought a Jeep Wrangler Sport last may. I have to be honest, I was expecting the stereotypical bumpy ride, "it's a jeep, deal with it" type of scene. I am so pleasantly surprised at how comfortable and roomy the Jeep is. It rides smooth, and with the Penstar v6, it has quite a bit of power. On top of that, 4x4ing is a lot of fun. You can get it with nav and power everything, remote start, engine block warmers and all kinds of stuff. If you haven't, take a look at a Wrangler.

I should make a note. The suspension and engine were re-done in the 2012 models. Do not get anything less than a 2012.

kaplin42 03-04-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

I get 18 and 22 mpg living in Los Angeles (important, because traffic lowers mpg).

Bugeater 03-04-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9462915)
On the regular Cherokees, the auto tranny is an Aisin transmission and is really solid (also used in some Toyota pickups of that vintage). Don't know if that's the case with the Grand Cherokees with the 4.0L, though.

Can't do the Sport. I have driven them and the doors are too small, I have trouble getting in and out of them.

kaplin42 03-04-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9462887)

Get a JKU.

U = Unlimited = 4 door. Tons and tons of room in those.

gblowfish 03-04-2013 11:57 AM

Mine is 13 years old now, and I've been replacing a lot of stuff on it. Driver's seat I had shipped from a salvage yard in Lebanon, MO. I've replaced both headlight assemblies because the clear plastic lenses were shot. It would cost more to have them "buffed out" than just replace with new. I've also replaced both tail lights from rocks and parking lot dings and cracks. I have hood and tail hatch lifts coming this week to replace those. They wear out eventually. I'll need tires all around later this spring, trying to coax another 5,000 out of the current ones. I have Uniroyal Laredos. They've been great. My trip odometer has been out for a long time. That's in the roof above the dashboard. Has outside temp, compass, etc. Anybody had that go out on them before? Is it an easy fix?

Buehler445 03-04-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 9462929)
Get a JKU.

U = Unlimited = 4 door. Tons and tons of room in those.

Grand Cherokee Unilmited?

Ace Gunner 03-04-2013 11:59 AM

I've got a '99 V8 that I don't use much anymore. The turn radius is great, but it's hard on the axles. Had a tranny go in '06 but the thing has been good to me.

gblowfish 03-04-2013 11:59 AM

Grand Cherokee has the basic Laredo, then Limited, then the super nice one is the Overland. I don't think they made the Limited or Overland with the straight six. I think both of them were V8 only.

Bugeater 03-04-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 9462920)
Bought a Jeep Wrangler Sport last may. I have to be honest, I was expecting the stereotypical bumpy ride, "it's a jeep, deal with it" type of scene. I am so pleasantly surprised at how comfortable and roomy the Jeep is. It rides smooth, and with the Penstar v6, it has quite a bit of power. On top of that, 4x4ing is a lot of fun. You can get it with nav and power everything, remote start, engine block warmers and all kinds of stuff. If you haven't, take a look at a Wrangler.

I should make a note. The suspension and engine were re-done in the 2012 models. Do not get anything less than a 2012.

Appreciate the advice but that new of a vehicle isn't possible. I'm strictly a cash buyer.

COchief 03-04-2013 12:01 PM

Boiled down legit advice from owning several jeeps and other makes:

- 4.0 only, no exceptions, one of the best engines ever produced.
- Everything around the engine and drivetrain is crappy and will probably break, you want the least amount of bells and whistles possible, cause that is all crap you'll need to fix.
- Drivetrain will rarely if ever, let you down if maintained.
- Best value and honestly ten times the vehicle would be Xterra/Pathfinder/4runner of the same vintage, disagree? Eat shit, I have gone from Cherokee/Xterra/Wrangler. You haven't so STFU. Also drive them, you'll see.

Exoter175 03-04-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Honestly and realistically, if you're in the city, don't expect more than 16-17 MPG. On highway road trips, expect 20-24 depending on how well she's running.

If you want a fuel efficient 4wd smaller suv, get a Honda CRV.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9462915)

The WJ (99-04)grand cherokees are all Chrysler transmissions. In the ZJ grand cherokees (93-98) there was an Aisin automatic offered, but there were also 5 other Chrysler transmissions offered in that body style, and I'm pretty sure the Aisin was a mid model change over to Chrysler so up until about mid 94 they were Aisins, and the rest were chryslers.

In the regular cherokees the only Aisins were Manuals, the Autos were Chrysler. Actually I take that back, I think there were a few model years with the 4 series aisin in it, probably the 92-94.5 model years, somewhat similar to the grand cherokee.

The transmissions aren't super terrible honestly, you have to remember what they are mated up to.

You've got a 4.0 liter inline six mated to a 4 speed auto chrysler transmission, running power to some Dana Axles :D, life isn't so bad when you've got Danas in there which almost all of them have.

COchief 03-04-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

If you want a real Wrangler, buy nothing newer than 2006, if you're a pussy and want to look tough but need heated seats and can't put a key in a door, get a JK

FYP

burt 03-04-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COchief (Post 9462945)

- Everything around the engine and drivetrain is crappy and will probably break, you want the least amount of bells and whistles possible, cause that is all crap you'll need to fix.
- Best value and honestly ten times the vehicle would be Xterra/Pathfinder/4runner of the same vintage, disagree? Eat shit, I have gone from Cherokee/Xterra/Wrangler. You haven't so STFU. Also drive them, you'll see.

I have owned Pathfinder, 4Runner, Wrangler....all fine experiences....but the Wrangler was the best!!! BUT NOT 10 X's.... Just sayin'.....

Bugeater 03-04-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Don't disagree. But the decent ones are waaay out of my price range. Those damn things just don't lose value.

COchief 03-04-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9462961)
Don't disagree. But the decent ones are waaay out of my price range. Those damn things just don't lose value.

They are in your range most likely, 4runner I'll give you but you pay for a little cushier experience. No better value than a 2000-2004 Xterra/Pathfinder.

COchief 03-04-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burt (Post 9462960)
I have owned Pathfinder, 4Runner, Wrangler....all fine experiences....but the Wrangler was the best!!! BUT NOT 10 X's.... Just sayin'.....

Yeah, 2002 Sahara owner with D44 and 3.73. Went from a mint 2002 Xterra S/C, and man were those first couple weeks rough.

I was talking about his SUV class, and was referring to quality of the little things, ride, and reliability. I couldn't shake the thought when I dumped my X and paid almost twice as much for the Wrangler, that I was an idiot. But car guys follow passion, not reason.

COchief 03-04-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9462961)

I'm bored and like hunting shit down, give me range and location and I'll see if I can dig up any finds.

Exoter175 03-04-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Uh, no. If you buy a wrangler, you buy one fromt he mid/late 90's and no newer than early 2000's, after that, the drivetrain becomes dominated by Chrysler and they turn into mall crawlers with bells and whistles that people don't need for what the Wrangler was built for........driving over shit.

I had a 2004 TJ Sport with option Dana 44 in it, it was literally the BEST combination in the world with that 4.0 liter straight six. The only downside is that I had the 6 speed Chrysler Manual in it, which was "meh". I never got stuck in that thing. Went rock crawling, mudding, swamping, you name it. With the 6 inch lift and 35's, never got stuck. I sank that thing in a swamp and was a little over waist deep in the absolute sloppiest swampy mud scenario you could find, kicked it in 4 low and go out. It was awesome. The new jeeps on the other hands, are for people with vaginas.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 9462939)
Grand Cherokee has the basic Laredo, then Limited, then the super nice one is the Overland. I don't think they made the Limited or Overland with the straight six. I think both of them were V8 only.

Overland? You're talking new jeeps now, and new jeeps are bad.

Quote:

I disagree here slightly, the suspension and brakes in stock form are very good when you put them to the extreme pre-sissy jeeps. In my 04 the brakes should have seriously faded on me on many treks but they didn't, as much shit that was put through them, they worked like a champ.

Completely agree with you on the 4 runner mention, anything Toyota and 4wd is worth the money, especially older 22RE trucks.

COchief 03-04-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exoter175 (Post 9462988)
I disagree here slightly, the suspension and brakes in stock form

You're probably a little more mechanic oriented than me, I meant drive train to say basically anything under the body. We're the same guy, 2000-2002 is the ultimate year if you're going non-rubi.

kaplin42 03-04-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9462927)
Can't do the Sport. I have driven them and the doors are too small, I have trouble getting in and out of them.

Sport only refers to the version of the model. For instance:

Sport
Sport S
Sahara
Rubicon

The further down the list, the more features you get, with the Rubicon being best if you plan on off-roading at all.

The current Series model is the JK (as opposed to CJ, YJ, TJ). I think when you say Sport, you're thinking of the 2 door model, like I said in a previous post, take a look at the 4 door model (JKU), it has a lot more room in it.

Bugeater 03-04-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COchief (Post 9462987)
I'm bored and like hunting shit down, give me range and location and I'll see if I can dig up any finds.

Omaha area, $5000-ish budget. Did some digging on Xterras last week but haven't really checked out what's around for Pathfinders. And nothing black in color.

Frosty 03-04-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exoter175 (Post 9462952)
In the regular cherokees the only Aisins were Manuals, the Autos were Chrysler. Actually I take that back, I think there were a few model years with the 4 series aisin in it, probably the 92-94.5 model years, somewhat similar to the grand cherokee.

All 1987-2001 XJ's with the 4.0L had Aisin-Warner AW-4 4-speed automatics. The 4-cyl XJ's used a Chrysler 3-spd tranny.

Bugeater 03-04-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 9463003)

Sport
Sport S
Sahara
Rubicon

The further down the list, the more features you get, with the Rubicon being best if you plan on off-roading at all.

The current Series model is the JK (as opposed to CJ, YJ, TJ). I think when you say Sport, you're thinking of the 2 door model, like I said in a previous post, take a look at the 4 door model (JKU), it has a lot more room in it.

Oh, I thought the boxy Cherokees were called the Sport. That's the way most of them seem to be titled in the ads.

Exoter175 03-04-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COchief (Post 9463001)
You're probably a little more mechanic oriented than me, I meant drive train to say basically anything under the body. We're the same guy, 2000-2002 is the ultimate year if you're going non-rubi.

In my opinion you don't get anything better than the TJ really. Which is what? 97-06ish I believe.

You get a 4.0 straight six, at least a Dana 35 if not Dana 44 with 3.73's, and some awesome brakes.

My '04 was just a little too new for my liking.

You see, when I think Jeep, I think lifted, 35's, 33's minimum, top off, doors off. I need a heater, I don't need AC, and a radio is questionable.

That's how I like my jeeps.

Frosty 03-04-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 9463003)

Sport
Sport S
Sahara
Rubicon

I believe he was talking about the XJ (small Cherokee). He's right about the doors being small and being a pain to get into and out of. That's the reason I got rid of mine (small children at the time). Once you were in, though, they were roomy.

kaplin42 03-04-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exoter175 (Post 9462988)
Uh, no. If you buy a wrangler, you buy one fromt he mid/late 90's and no newer than early 2000's, after that, the drivetrain becomes dominated by Chrysler and they turn into mall crawlers with bells and whistles that people don't need for what the Wrangler was built for........driving over shit.

I had a 2004 TJ Sport with option Dana 44 in it, it was literally the BEST combination in the world with that 4.0 liter straight six. The only downside is that I had the 6 speed Chrysler Manual in it, which was "meh". I never got stuck in that thing. Went rock crawling, mudding, swamping, you name it. With the 6 inch lift and 35's, never got stuck. I sank that thing in a swamp and was a little over waist deep in the absolute sloppiest swampy mud scenario you could find, kicked it in 4 low and go out. It was awesome. The new jeeps on the other hands, are for people with vaginas.

Overland? You're talking new jeeps now, and new jeeps are bad.

I disagree here slightly, the suspension and brakes in stock form are very good when you put them to the extreme pre-sissy jeeps. In my 04 the brakes should have seriously faded on me on many treks but they didn't, as much shit that was put through them, they worked like a champ.

Completely agree with you on the 4 runner mention, anything Toyota and 4wd is worth the money, especially older 22RE trucks.

New Jeeps are awesome, just because soccer mom's like them, doesn't mean that you can't actually use them for off-roading like I do all the time. Typical BS though "if it's newer than X year, it's not a Jeep. If it's got 4 doors, it's not a Jeep."

You can lift, and mod, and deck out the new Jeeps just as you could the old ones.

Exoter175 03-04-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9463009)
All 1987-2001 XJ's with the 4.0L had Aisin-Warner AW-4 4-speed automatics. The 4-cyl XJ's used a Chrysler 3-spd tranny.

I think you're right there, I just seem to remember having a 92 3 speed 4.0 at some point early in my life lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9463013)
Oh, I thought the boxy Cherokees were called the Sport. That's the way most of them seem to be titled in the ads.

That's just one of the most common trim levels for the boxy cherokees, and they are very plentiful. I've had 3 myself, my buddy has had 6 in the last 3 years.

Guess what our common maintenance has been on them?

Plugs, radiator hoses, and differential fluid changes. lol.

And we put them......through......hell..........:D

SAUTO 03-04-2013 12:26 PM

ive had a 2003 grand since 2004. bought it with 60 K on it and it had been built 18 months prior.

it has almost 200K on it now.

ive done the brakes once. changed the oil every 3000.
routine maintenance. fluid changes.

and the cooling fan relay goes out about once a year. other than that it has been a great vehicle.

Frosty 03-04-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9463013)

No, Sport is just a trim level for either 2 or 4 door XJ (mine was a Limited). The whole "Cherokee" thing confuses people. When I was looking for a car for my son, I was considering the small Cherokee (XJ) but it seemed like every add that said something like "2000 Cherokee" was actually a Grand Cherokee. Two diferent vehicles completely. To make matters worse, "Cherokee" used to be a trim level on the big jeeps in the '70's.

tboss27 03-04-2013 12:28 PM

I've got a 2000 Grand Cherokee that I'm looking to get rid of soon. 166K (ish) miles, silver. I'm in Wichita, PM me if you're interested. Haven't had any issues with it except electrical as others have stated, needs two window motors replaced but other than that hasn't had any issues.

Exoter175 03-04-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 9463024)
New Jeeps are awesome, just because soccer mom's like them, doesn't mean that you can't actually use them for off-roading like I do all the time. Typical BS though "if it's newer than X year, it's not a Jeep. If it's got 4 doors, it's not a Jeep."

You can lift, and mod, and deck out the new Jeeps just as you could the old ones.

New jeeps are dominated by Chrysler, that is not awesome. There is literally nothing left from AMC in the new jeeps, and that is sad. That is what Jeeps are, or were.

Yeah, the new jeeps still function like the jeeps of old, but the break so much more now than they did a decade ago, and most of that is due to it being a Chrysler product, and partly due to the extra bells and whistles.

When you buy a 92 Jeep Cherokee, you get a 4.0 liter inline six, some baby danas, and 4wd. That's it. You can drive it through anything.

You don't need Navigation, you don't need all the extra bells and whistles.

Quite literally the new Jeeps have traded out their toughness and ruggedness for bells and whistles, and now charge a premium for models and trim levels to attain that ruggedness again.

So while you talk about jeeps being jeeps and being able to mod the new ones like the old ones, remember now that a Jeep Liberty can't do 1/50th of what a Jeep Cherokee could do 15 years ago.

in the early/mid 90's, Jeep Cherokees were the standard for excellence in sport SUV's.

Now look what happened with Chrysler's hand in the middle of all of that, douchebags and soccer moms in their mall crawlers looking the part, but incapable of acting the part.

CoMoChief 03-04-2013 12:31 PM

I wouldn't buy anything Jeep/Chrysler anymore

I've had 2 Jeeps and my parents have always had Grand Cherokees....the electrical systems start to crap out after 85K miles. Horrible AC/coolant systems, have had troubles w/ everyone me or my family has had.

BUT...the 4.0 inline 6 is one of the best engines around.

Now I don't even like the look of them. Always wanted a Wrangler but they're too expensive if you want one that's worth a shit. For some reason those things keep their re-sale value up higher than you'd think.

kaplin42 03-04-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exoter175 (Post 9463015)
In my opinion you don't get anything better than the TJ really. Which is what? 97-06ish I believe.

You get a 4.0 straight six, at least a Dana 35 if not Dana 44 with 3.73's, and some awesome brakes.

My '04 was just a little too new for my liking.

You see, when I think Jeep, I think lifted, 35's, 33's minimum, top off, doors off. I need a heater, I don't need AC, and a radio is questionable.

That's how I like my jeeps.

My "made for vaginas" 2012 sport came with Dana 33's and a 3.73 ratio. The Rubi's come with Dana 44's and a 4.10 ratio with front and real lockers.

It's cool though, I have power locks on my Jeep so it must not hold up to the old ones.

Exoter175 03-04-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9463044)
I wouldn't buy anything Jeep/Chrysler anymore

I've had 2 Jeeps and my parents have always had them....they start to crap out after 75K miles.

Now I don't even like the look of them. Always wanted a Wrangler but they're too expensive if you want one that's worth a shit. For some reason those things keep their re-sale value up higher than you'd think.

Its the drivetrain that they put int he late 90's early 2000's.

People see a 2004 TJ worth 12k with 90k miles on it and think their 2008 with 95k miles is worth 17k because its a jeep thing right?

Not so much, that 2004 is bullet proof compared to the 2008, and in another 5 years, that 2008 is going to plummet compared to the 2004.

Exoter175 03-04-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 9463046)
My "made for vaginas" 2012 sport came with Dana 33's and a 3.73 ratio. The Rubi's come with Dana 44's and a 4.10 ratio with front and real lockers.

It's cool though, I have power locks on my Jeep so it must not hold up to the old ones.

Baby Danas.

My TJ came with 44's and 3.73's in 6 speed, 6 inches of lift, and 35's. I'd park it on the hood of your 2012 "sport".

Edit: And who needs door locks when you take the doors off like a true jeep was meant to be?

COchief 03-04-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9463005)
Omaha area, $5000-ish budget. Did some digging on Xterras last week but haven't really checked out what's around for Pathfinders. And nothing black in color.

http://omaha.craigslist.org/ctd/3640516125.html Value if you're man enough to drive a stick as most NE people aren't

http://omaha.craigslist.org/ctd/3653902926.html

http://omaha.craigslist.org/ctd/3626601286.html

Allright dude, they are everywhere right in your range with decent miles. I would skip the supercharger if I were in the mileage range you're in as they command a premium, go out frequently, and are basically a hamster strapped on to the engine. The X will be sort of a dog power wise, but I wouldn't imagine that you want to stomp around in an X. If it bugs you, find a Pathfinder with the 3.5 as those are glorious engines. Also this might sound dumb, but Xs hide their 2X4 variants fairly well, so look for it in ads before going to waste your time.

Bugeater 03-04-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9463037)
No, Sport is just a trim level for either 2 or 4 door XJ (mine was a Limited). The whole "Cherokee" thing confuses people. When I was looking for a car for my son, I was considering the small Cherokee (XJ) but it seemed like every add that said something like "2000 Cherokee" was actually a Grand Cherokee. Two diferent vehicles completely. To make matters worse, "Cherokee" used to be a trim level on the big jeeps in the '70's.

It is confusing. I usually do my searches for "Grand Cherokee" and I know I'm probably missing some that aren't titled properly, but otherwise I have to sift through all the XJs to find what I'm interested in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tboss27 (Post 9463040)
I've got a 2000 Grand Cherokee that I'm looking to get rid of soon. 166K (ish) miles, silver. I'm in Wichita, PM me if you're interested. Haven't had any issues with it except electrical as others have stated, needs two window motors replaced but other than that hasn't had any issues.

PM on its way.

Exoter175 03-04-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COchief (Post 9463052)
http://omaha.craigslist.org/ctd/3640516125.html Value if you're man enough to drive a stick as most NE people aren't

Allright dude, they are everywhere right in your range with decent miles. I would skip the supercharger if I were in the mileage range you're in as they command a premium, go out frequently, and are basically a hamster strapped on to the engine. The X will be sort of a dog power wise, but I wouldn't imagine that you want to stomp around in an X. If it bugs you, find a Pathfinder with the 3.5 as those are glorious engines. Also this might sound dumb, but Xs hide their 2X4 variants fairly well, so look for it in ads before going to waste your time.

Although that 3.5 is glorious, it is a pita to work on :/

Frosty 03-04-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

That one seems fishy as the price seems much lower than it should, unless the manual knocks it down that much.

Bugeater 03-04-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Heh, I did see that first one last week when I was looking at another vehicle on that same lot, and the place is kinda sketchy. Other than the piece that's missing under the front bumper it doesn't seem too bad though. And I don't mind a manual transmission at all. I'd actually prefer that.

The other two are getting out of my price range. I really like the one in Fremont though.

I did just find this though, might have to go check it out:

http://omaha.craigslist.org/ctd/3640516125.html

Not crazy about the color though but the price is right.

COchief 03-04-2013 12:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9463093)

Mine was that silver, looked clean all the time and was cool in the summers. Plus it looked awesome when I detailed it and shined up all the plastic and tires, tint really adds something too.

Also general rule of thumb for me, you should be able to kick at least 500-1000 off any vehicle price whether private or dealer. And if you let a stellar vehicle go over $500, you'll probably regret it.

My X right before I sold it in Dec:

Frosty 03-04-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9463093)
Heh, I did see that first one last week when I was looking at another vehicle on that same lot, and the place is kinda sketchy. Other than the piece that's missing under the front bumper it doesn't seem too bad though. And I don't mind a manual transmission at all. I'd actually prefer that.

The other two are getting out of my price range. I really like the one in Fremont though.

I did just find this though, might have to go check it out:

Quote:

2002 Nissan Xterra SE , 4WD, 5 Speed Manual V6 3.3, 108K Only !!! - $5750 (6154 L St in Omaha)

Quality Motors LLC located at 6154 L Street in Omaha, has up for sale 2002 Nissan Xterra SE 4X4, Auto, V6 3.0L, 5 Speed Manual Trany. Has only 108K, Good Price

LMAO. Not sketchy at all.

Bugeater 03-04-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COchief (Post 9463108)
Mine was that silver, looked clean all the time and was cool in the summers. Plus it looked awesome when I detailed it and shined up all the plastic and tires.

Also general rule of thumb for me, you should be able to kick at least 500-1000 off any vehicle price whether private or dealer. And if you let a stellar vehicle go over $500, you'll probably regret it.

Whoops, mis-pasted. This is what I meant to post.

http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/3649400467.html

Frosty 03-04-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9463123)

That one isn't as nice. It doesn't have the 3.3 3.0L V6 or the automatic 5-speed manual transmission.

Bugeater 03-04-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9463113)
LMAO. Not sketchy at all.

Didn't even catch that. I saw an ad for a Grand Cherokee this weekend, it said it had the V8, and I went and looked at it yesterday and when I got to the dealership it had "six cylinder" written on the windshield. They weren't open so I still don't know what it really has in it.

COchief 03-04-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9463087)
That one seems fishy as the price seems much lower than it should, unless the manual knocks it down that much.

Ha, welcome to America sir. People here are fat, lazy, and want the path of least resistance while simultaneously stuffing their faces with big macs and a gallon of coke. Especially in NE (grew up in SD so I can say that).

Kind of kidding, but also kind of not

Bugeater 03-04-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9463135)
That one isn't as nice. It doesn't have the 3.3 3.0L V6 or the automatic 5-speed manual transmission.

It doesn't say anything at all about what engine it has in it, which is another pet peeve of mine. I just went on a rant in the random thought thread about these idiots that post these ads.

COchief 03-04-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9463142)
It doesn't say anything at all about what engine it has in it, which is another pet peeve of mine. I just went on a rant in the random thought thread about these idiots that post these ads.

He's F-ing with you, X will only be 3.3 with supercharger or without.

That car joint screwed up and put 3.0 instead of 3.3.

Frosty 03-04-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COchief (Post 9463138)
Ha, welcome to America sir. People here are fat, lazy, and want the path of least resistance while simultaneously stuffing their faces with big macs and a gallon of coke. Especially in NE (grew up in SD so I can say that).

Kind of kidding, but also kind of not

Last year, I was car shopping and only wanted a manual. I didn't see much of a discount for them (though a dealer will nail you on a trade-in with a manual). People seemed like they wanted to charge more for them - "rare 5-speed manual". Maybe it's a regional thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by COchief (Post 9463146)
He's F-ing with you, X will only be 3.3 with supercharger or without.

That car joint screwed up and put 3.0 instead of 3.3.

I was just laughing at that dealer ad listing two different engine sizes as well as two different transmissions.

COchief 03-04-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9463123)

Here is my philosophy and you can agree or not.

Spend 4K on a high mileage X and most likely have something go. I mean these are reliable as hell but you're gambling with anything approaching 200K. Then you end up spending 1000-1500 and have a legit vehicle again for 5-6K.

Or

Spend 5-6 right off the bat, get a 110Kish vehicle and know nothing will be go wrong if you know how to find a car.

Option A $5k 176K mile vehicle (after something goes, you could have nothing, it's always a gamble)

Option B $5k 110K mile vehicle

Also take in effect general wear and tear and things like rust, look at the difference between a vehicle with 40k vs 110k, usually a pretty big difference.

COchief 03-04-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9463156)
stuff.

Totally regional, way more manuals in a state like CO or WA then NE.

Also dude, I knew exactly what you were doing. Don't want to be snarky, but I probably shouldn't have had to tell you this specifically.

Frosty 03-04-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COchief (Post 9463168)
Also dude, I knew exactly what you were doing. Don't want to be snarky, but I probably shouldn't have had to tell you this specifically.

I wasn't actually talking to you. I was piggy-backing off of your post.

Bugeater 03-04-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COchief (Post 9463159)
Here is my philosophy and you can agree or not.

Spend 4K on a high mileage X and most likely have something go. I mean these are reliable as hell but you're gambling with anything approaching 200K. Then you end up spending 1000-1500 and have a legit vehicle again for 5-6K.

Or

Spend 5-6 right off the bat, get a 110Kish vehicle and know nothing will be go wrong if you know how to find a car.

Option A $5k 176K mile vehicle (after something goes, you could have nothing, it's always a gamble)

Option B $5k 110K mile vehicle

Mostly agree when it comes to imports, but when it comes to domestics like the Grand Cherokee as far as I'm concerned anything can go wrong after 100k. So I'd rather go low end and bank the extra money, and be well prepared for any problems.

I'm assuming you meant 6-7k for option B, but going that high is actually a bigger gamble because that would deplete my savings to the point that if something major still goes wrong with the more expensive vehicle, I'd be risking wiping out what I have left.

It's all a freaking crapshoot really.

Hoover 03-04-2013 01:35 PM

I don't want to squat on this thread, but my wife is wanting a new car and wants to get a Honda Odyssey. I'm not a fan of mini vans, but I've never had one. The other problem I'm having is that I think its crazy to spend 42K on a decked out mini van when we could spend the same amount and get a AWD suv. I'm trying to talk her into a Highlander, Pathfinder, or something similar.

What say you guys?

Radar Chief 03-04-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 9463024)

Anything made after the CJ models IS CRAP!

:Poke:

Bugeater 03-04-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 9463205)
I don't want to squat on this thread, but my wife is wanting a new car and wants to get a Honda Odyssey. I'm not a fan of mini vans, but I've never had one. The other problem I'm having is that I think its crazy to spend 42K on a decked out mini van when we could spend the same amount and get a AWD suv. I'm trying to talk her into a Highlander, Pathfinder, or something similar.

What say you guys?

I've always bought minivans over SUVs because they're generally cheaper (resale wise, not necessarily the case for you since you're buying new), they tend to have a more car-like ride and they usually do better on gas. Hell to the no on spending 42K on one though. If I was going to drop that much on a vehicle it would have to be something totally bad-ass.

Frosty 03-04-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9463189)
Mostly agree when it comes to imports, but when it comes to domestics like the Grand Cherokee as far as I'm concerned anything can go wrong after 100k. So I'd rather go low end and bank the extra money, and be well prepared for any problems.

I'm assuming you meant 6-7k for option B, but going that high is actually a bigger gamble because that would deplete my savings to the point that if something major still goes wrong with the more expensive vehicle, I'd be risking wiping out what I have left.

The used car market really, really sucks right. Stuff is either so expensive that you might was well spend a bit more and go new or it's clapped out crap that the seller thinks is made of gold.

We ended up going with a 2000 Impreza with 120K miles for $3600. I'm still going to have to put about $1500 for new clutch, timing belt and A/C compressor. I would have preferred to just get the cheapest new car I could but the insurance was insane.

Quote:

What say you guys?

The Odyssey is probably more family friendly and gets better mileage.

I think spending $42K on anything is insane but that's just me.

COchief 03-04-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9463189)

Agreed man, balancing the equation, a lot of people don't seem to get it which is kind why I broke it out like that. Remember asking price is ASKING price. 500-1000 of should be no problem. Even if you hate negotiating, just say "I'll give you this" and then walk, it it's reasonable they'll take it or call you back the next day and take it.

I don't want to tell you what to do, but I have spent years in this vehicle sector and looked at the specifics of most of these models for an embarrassing amount of time.

If you like the looks of X/pathfinder and drive a couple and like them. Eliminate any other possibility and take the time to find the right one. There is nothing close to the value of these Nissans. Grand Cherokee is a ridiculously inferior product to these trucks (current Jeep owner). Notice when I posted my original statement, 3-4 car dealers/car guys immediately followed with "can't disagree".

Unless you hate them, buy one, there is nothing better for the money.

COchief 03-04-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9463185)
I wasn't actually talking to you. I was piggy-backing off of your post.

Cool, I was kind of like "really dude?"

Bugeater 03-04-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9463238)
The used car market really, really sucks right. Stuff is either so expensive that you might was well spend a bit more and go new or it's clapped out crap that the seller thinks is made of gold.

We ended up going with a 2000 Impreza with 120K miles for $3600. I'm still going to have to put about $1500 for new clutch, timing belt and A/C compressor. I would have preferred to just get the cheapest new car I could but the insurance was insane.

Well the problem is I just lost my job so financing something right now is completely out of the question. And even without that issue I don't like making car payments. Plus the additional licensing and insurance costs like you mentioned, it's just becomes too damn much money for something to drive. I hate to buy anything at all right now but my current van is on borrowed time and I don't want to have to drive my truck on a daily basis.

Frosty 03-04-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9463257)
Well the problem is I just lost my job so financing something right now is completely out of the question. And even without that issue I don't like making car payments. Plus the additional licensing and insurance costs like you mentioned, it's just becomes too damn much money for something to drive. I hate to buy anything at all right now but my current van is on borrowed time and I don't want to have to drive my truck on a daily basis.

Sorry to hear about the job.

COchief 03-04-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

42K on a decked out mini van when we could spend the same amount and get a AWD suv.
What say you guys?

All I am going to say is if you buy any vehicle new for $42K I think you probably need your head examined. Go 2-4 years back and get virtually the same thing that some idiot wiped his ass with $20k to drive 30-60k miles.

I continually hear the Odyssey is by far the best choice for minivans, also new Pathfinder is ugly and shit and is basically a minivan anyways.

Bugeater 03-04-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9463267)
Sorry to hear about the job.

Eh, it's not that big of a deal, I'll find another one and I can work independently and still get by in the meantime. But for some reason banks are kind of funny about handing out loans to people without a steady source of income. :)

Frosty 03-04-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9463272)
Eh, it's not that big of a deal, I'll find another one and I can work independently and still get by in the meantime. But for some reason banks are kind of funny about handing out loans to people without a steady source of income. :)

Most of time anyway (see home financing collapse).

Do you need an SUV to haul stuff or just like them because of the room?