ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Hey Simply Red! Use carbon steel much? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=204334)

Fire Me Boy! 03-17-2009 07:09 AM

Hey Simply Red! Use carbon steel much?

OK, so my love affair with cast iron is both well-documented and true. But believe it or not, I do own pans and skillets that are not made of the metal from Heaven.

I've got a carbon steel wok that absolutely kicks ass, and I'm considering buying a few CS skillets. Thoughts?

You know anything about black steel?

I've got a few older non-stick, but thinking about getting rid of most of those, save one or two smaller omelet pans.

Simply Red 03-17-2009 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 5588843)
OK, so my love affair with cast iron is both well-documented and true. But believe it or not, I do own pans and skillets that are not made of the metal from Heaven.

I've got a carbon steel wok that absolutely kicks ass, and I'm considering buying a few CS skillets. Thoughts?

You know anything about black steel?

I've got a few older non-stick, but thinking about getting rid of most of those, save one or two smaller omelet pans.

Hmm, no, no never have used them. Question, are they all non stick, because I seem to remember seeing them and they looked as if they'd stick, so I backed off. By the way, doesn't Crate and Barrel have an outlet outside of NMB? That's a great place for pure quality.

HonestChieffan 03-17-2009 08:13 AM

Read carefully the care statements...some of the new non stick cant go through a dishwasher.

Nothing beats cast iron.

Fire Me Boy! 03-17-2009 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 5588899)
Hmm, no, no never have used them. Question, are they all non stick, because I seem to remember seeing them and they looked as if they'd stick, so I backed off. By the way, doesn't Crate and Barrel have an outlet outside of NMB? That's a great place for pure quality.

They're kinda like cast iron. Once they're seasoned properly, they take on the characteristics of non-stick.

No idea about a Crate and Barrel outlet... I couldn't afford it even if they did. I have to keep up with my Lodge Outlet habit.

Fire Me Boy! 03-17-2009 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestChieffan (Post 5588901)
Read carefully the care statements...some of the new non stick cant go through a dishwasher.

Nothing beats cast iron.

Carbon steel is old. WAY old. Been around a LOOOONNNNNNNG time. They're not non-stick.

But you're right. Nothing beats cast iron.

But I love my carbon steel wok.

Fire Me Boy! 03-17-2009 09:43 AM

http://tinyurl.com/dhvvnn

Simply Red 03-17-2009 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 5588930)
Carbon steel is old. WAY old. Been around a LOOOONNNNNNNG time. They're not non-stick.

But you're right. Nothing beats cast iron.

But I love my carbon steel wok.

I'll try one, honestly, I'm a little burnt out on cooking. I cooked for me 'Ex' like everyday, almost. Thank god that train wreck is over.

Simply Red 03-17-2009 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 5589073)

Good pricing, those look nice, too. Lately I've been spending my money on other things, like clothes, etc... but yeah, if I ever settle down again, I may look into buying some of those pans.

Donger 03-17-2009 09:48 AM

Isn't "carbon steel" somewhat redundant?

Fire Me Boy! 03-17-2009 09:48 AM

I think I'm going to buy one and give it a shot.

Fire Me Boy! 03-17-2009 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 5589086)

Probably, but it's a clarification away from stainless steel.

BigMeatballDave 03-17-2009 10:23 AM

Quote:

Heh, thats what I was thinking. I know 'mild' steel has a less amount of carbon. Its commonly used in fabrication. 'High' carbon steel is much harder.

epitome1170 03-17-2009 10:41 AM

Quote:

Yes, if it doesn't have carbon, then it is iron.

Fire Me Boy! 03-17-2009 10:44 AM

Is carbon stainless magnetic? Would it work on an induction stove?

BigMeatballDave 03-17-2009 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 5589201)
Is carbon stainless magnetic? Would it work on an induction stove?

If it has iron in it, its magnetic.