ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football One of the most impactful last 3 weeks in NFL history (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=351494)

scho63 12-22-2023 05:57 AM

One of the most impactful last 3 weeks in NFL history

Over the last 25+ years, as the NFL season winds down there are normally just a few teams left fighting for scraps to squeeze into the last few Wild Card slots.

This year as each week brings a new "best team in the NFL", we have a hell of a lot of impactful games over the next 3 weeks to close out the season. Gonna be a unique finish for almost all spots.

Has parity finally hit the NFL or is this just an anomaly? :hmmm:

ChiefEd 12-22-2023 05:58 AM

Anomaly. We’d be running away with it if it weren’t for KT…

Pasta Little Brioni 12-22-2023 06:00 AM

I don't see anything different than the last 3 decades of salary cap era football. Having an extra playoff team just allows 2 more mediocre as crap teams to back that ass up Herm style into the playoffs

ThyKingdomCome15 12-22-2023 06:02 AM

The addition of the 7th seed has kept a number of teams relevant for sure. The Saturday games are really cool as well. The only thing I don't like is the Chiefs playing at noon on Christmas. That's just odd scheduling.

chiefzilla1501 12-22-2023 06:32 AM

I think there’s better parity at the top in that there doesn’t seem to be a dominant team (unless SF shakes off their playoff yips).

But most of the parity is unfortunately that really really bad teams are for some reason in playoff contention. Leaguewide there are too many teams who are awful to the point of being unwatchable.

Why Not? 12-22-2023 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 17293107)
I think there’s better parity at the top in that there doesn’t seem to be a dominant team (unless SF shakes off their playoff yips).

But most of the parity is unfortunately that really really bad teams are for some reason in playoff contention. Leaguewide there are too many teams who are awful to the point of being unwatchable.

There may not be a dominant team but I’d be shocked if the SB winner wasn’t one of KC, Baltimore, SF, Dallas or Philly. Is that more or less than at this point most years? I don’t know. But your point about mediocrity is 100% spot on. This is the worst year, in regards to quality of games, I can ever recall.

Bearcat 12-22-2023 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 17293107)

I've said for a long time the NFL is the Bud Light of leagues, watered down for mass consumption.

I don't even know what to call it this year... it's been relegated to hard seltzer.

Lzen 12-22-2023 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 17293142)
I've said for a long time the NFL is the Bud Light of leagues, watered down for mass consumption.

I don't even know what to call it this year... it's been relegated to hard seltzer.

Well, at least be glad it's not the NBA, where over half the teams make the playoffs.

GoForIt 12-22-2023 08:12 AM

The NFC is a dumpster fire. Pretty much every playoff team after Detroit, San Fran, Dallas and Philly could have losing records including the NFC South champ.

Bearcat 12-22-2023 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 17293144)
Well, at least be glad it's not the NBA, where over half the teams make the playoffs.

Yeah, the 7 seeds have been bad enough, and this year the NFC could technically get a couple .500 or under teams into the playoffs.

It's good for the Chiefs this year though.

displacedinMN 12-22-2023 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Little Brother (Post 17293094)
I don't see anything different than the last 3 decades of salary cap era football. Having an extra playoff team just allows 2 more mediocre as crap teams to back that ass up Herm style into the playoffs

and first round crappy, lopsided games

Lzen 12-22-2023 08:51 AM

I absolutely love having playoff games at Arrowhead, especially the AFC Championship game 5 years in a row. But, if it doesn't happen, so be it. If I'm being honest, I have often wondered (and, in a small way, want to see) how Mahomes would do on the road in the playoffs.

chiefzilla1501 12-22-2023 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 17293142)

It’s been a weird year. I feel like defenses are up so offenses are down. But the nfl also has a huge problem with injuries. And bad QBs look really really bad against great defenses.

Normally pro leagues take this and introduce offense friendly rules in the offseason. Wonder if that’ll be the case here. I agree that more teams in contention is good for $ even if it’s uglier to watch. I also feel like Vegas must be making bank on this too because ugly football is harder to predict.

kstater 12-22-2023 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 17293128)
There may not be a dominant team but I’d be shocked if the SB winner wasn’t one of KC, Baltimore, SF, Dallas or Philly. Is that more or less than at this point most years? I don’t know. But your point about mediocrity is 100% spot on. This is the worst year, in regards to quality of games, I can ever recall.

I'd narrow it further. I don't see the winner not coming from SF, Philly or KC

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk

Pepe Silvia 12-22-2023 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefEd (Post 17293092)
Anomaly. We’d be running away with it if it weren’t for KT…

Toney is a mole.