ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   My Neighbor's Cats... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=114240)

fan4ever 04-15-2005 12:41 PM

My Neighbor's Cats...

I need your help.

My neighbor's cats like to come over and crap in my back yard. I have horseshoe pits filled with sand, and a volleyball court filled with the same. These cats use all three as their own personal litter boxes. I've spoken with my neighbor who thinks it's a cat's right to wander wherever they like. I have a dog, but the only way he occassionally helps out is by eating the cat's poop, which gives me even more reason to want the cats to stay out. I can by law trap the cat's on my property, have animal control pick them up, and they will contact the owners to pick up the cats until the third time, when they will put the cats down. I don't want to go this route for a number of reasons, frivelous litigation from my neighbor (they're like that) being among them.

Does anyone know a proven, effective way to keep cat's out of your back yard? I can cover the horseshoe pits, but the volleyball court is way to big to cover. I am not above frightening, shocking, or catapulting the animals, as long as no long term physical effects are inflicted upon the fuzzy little bastards.

P.S. I don't hate cats, just cats using my backyard as a toilet.

I anxiously await the inventiveness of my fellow planeteers.

(I hope this thread was OK to do here...I know some are sensitive to non-football threads. I apologize in advance to those offended.)

ptlyon 04-15-2005 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan4ever
Does anyone know a proven, effective way to keep cat's out of your back yard?

Remington 870 12 ga. load of 4's.

JOhn 04-15-2005 12:44 PM

I would suggest hiring either Bwana or Iowaian on a consulting basis.ROFL

cron912 04-15-2005 12:46 PM

Get a BB gun and give them a little motivation not to come into your yard. Just pump it once or twice, so it won't hurt them, and try to hit 'em in the rump with the BB.

suds79 04-15-2005 12:47 PM

Place some of those cat mats around the parimiter.

You know. They're those mats that give a little 6-9 volt shock when stepped on.

In a few days you can take them away and the cats will never step foot in your yard again..

Bowser 04-15-2005 12:47 PM

Get a sprinler system installed in your yard. Every time you see the bastards walking over, turn it on.

That, or get some hard plastic covers to put over the pits and court.

Donger 04-15-2005 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cron912
Get a BB gun and give them a little motivation not to come into your yard. Just pump it once or twice, so it won't hurt them, and try to hit 'em in the rump with the BB.

Yep. Works like a charm.

ptlyon 04-15-2005 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cron912
Just pump it once or twice, so it won't hurt them, and try to hit 'em in the rump with the BB.

If you hit'em in the head it won't be a problem anymore.

Demonpenz 04-15-2005 12:51 PM

long john silvers fish hushpuppy with a m 80 in it

ptlyon 04-15-2005 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz
long john silvers fish hushpuppy with a m 80 in it

That just made me laugh out loud.

teh rep

Mr. Laz 04-15-2005 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser
Get a sprinler system installed in your yard. Every time you see the bastards walking over, turn it on.

That, or get some hard plastic covers to put over the pits and court.

there are also little motion detector that will go off automatically

i think they sell them to scare away the blue birds that eat goldfish outa people backyard ponds.

should work for cats.

i also think there is some sprays used to litter box train cats. you can spray it around the sand pits and its suppose to keep cats away.

Donger 04-15-2005 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon

Never kill pussies. It's bad karma.

Soupnazi 04-15-2005 12:56 PM

In college, me and my roommates had to defend the volleyball pit from neighborhood cats. BB guns, slingshots, and a high powered hose did the trick nicely.

My buddies liked to shoot them and watch them run, but I liked to spring out from behind the fence, chase them into the corner and pound them ruthlessly with the water. It got the best results.

jspchief 04-15-2005 12:57 PM

Leave a small bowl of anti freeze in the area.

And don't let your dog near it.

fan4ever 04-15-2005 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon

The problem is, the little shits come over at night. I'd need night vision goggles. I have a pellet gun, but they'll probably hear me pump it. I suppose I could install motion detection lighting, but after a while, I'm not sure that would scare them away. My back yard is huge, so any kind of a barrier or perimeter approach would cost an arm and a leg. I wouldn't mind booby-trapping the horseshoe pits (their preference in crapping spots) and once they're afraid of those, move to the volleyball court. I tried mousetraps, but the sand screwed up the tripping mechanism.