ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Man of Steel. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267672)

munkey 12-14-2012 04:41 PM

Man of Steel.

It's starting to look like they might finally just get this right...a mix between Smallville and Superman two which IMO makes total sense.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pmbjSQYXqlM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

-King- 12-14-2012 04:43 PM

There's no 300+ post thread on this or anything...

munkey 12-14-2012 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9208767)

I searched...didn't find one...

Great Expectations 12-14-2012 07:14 PM

Thanks for sharing. This looks great.

007 12-15-2012 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 9209141)
Thanks for sharing. This looks great.

Yeah, but you expect everything to be great.

KCWolfman 12-15-2012 02:16 AM

Being a Superman fanatic, I can say this is the first time I have truly been anticipating something wonderful. I have seen all the films back to Christopher Reeves first and they all were atrocious. The stories have never caught the concept from the comics. I bet this is the one, though. Casting, directing, and producing are all the right people thus far.

Sorter 12-15-2012 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCWolfman (Post 9209945)
Being a Superman fanatic, I can say this is the first time I have truly been anticipating something wonderful. I have seen all the films back to Christopher Reeves first and they all were atrocious. The stories have never caught the concept from the comics. I bet this is the one, though. Casting, directing, and producing are all the right people thus far.

And as someone who never enjoyed Superman at all, I'm genuinely looking forward to this. I never read the comics, watched movies, etc. for Superman. This looks excellent though.

Deberg_1990 12-15-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCWolfman (Post 9209945)

The first Donner Superman was great for its time. Pretty dated now. I liked Superman II when i was a kid, but its pretty terrible now. The other two Reeves Supermans are hardly even worth talking about.

Reeves was pretty fantastic as Kent and Superman though. He will be hard to top.

DaneMcCloud 12-15-2012 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9211062)
The first Donner Superman was great for its time. Pretty dated now. I liked Superman II when i was a kid, but its pretty terrible now. The other two Reeves Supermans are hardly even worth talking about.

Reeves was pretty fantastic as Kent and Superman though. He will be hard to top.

The first Donner film was crap. The Brando scenes were forced and unbelievable and Margot Kidder was extremely unattractive, too harsh and it was ridiculous to believe that Superman would stop and reverse time, just for her. I was like 11 or so when I first saw it in theaters and thought she was ****ing gross.

Contrast that to Gene Hackman's cartoonish portrayal of Lex and you've got a really bad movie. The sequels were exponentially worse and Superman Returns was crap as well.

Finally, it looks like Warner's got it right. I guess we'll see...

Frazod 12-16-2012 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9211783)
The first Donner film was crap. The Brando scenes were forced and unbelievable and Margot Kidder was extremely unattractive, too harsh and it was ridiculous to believe that Superman would stop and reverse time, just for her. I was like 11 or so when I first saw it in theaters and thought she was ****ing gross.

Contrast that to Gene Hackman's cartoonish portrayal of Lex and you've got a really bad movie. The sequels were exponentially worse and Superman Returns was crap as well.

Finally, it looks like Warner's got it right. I guess we'll see...

Damn, that's harsh. I agree that the first one is now dated, but it was awesome for its time.

And I enjoyed the Donner cut of II.

The other two are complete shit, however.

Bowser 12-16-2012 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9211797)
Damn, that's harsh. I agree that the first one is now dated, but it was awesome for its time.

I don't even remember what III was about, and I remember IV jsut for the fact that Luthor tried to grow a blonde headed Supermna clone that could only operate in direct sunlight. LMAO

DaneMcCloud 12-16-2012 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9211797)

I loved Christopher Reeve as Superman and it's a damn shame that the script and casting (outside of the Kansas sequence and Perry White) was so poor.

The Lex portion of the story dumbed down his criminal mastermind to the point of buffoonery and the aforementioned Margot Kidder was the anti-Lois Lane.

Out of all the beautiful and amazing 70's actresses, the producers chose her??? I just never bought it, even as a kid.

John Williams score is legendary and its emotion is probably why people still love the film today. Ottman quoted it several times in Superman Returns.

Deberg_1990 12-16-2012 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9211819)
I don't even remember what III was about, and I remember IV jsut for the fact that Luthor tried to grow a blonde headed Supermna clone that could only operate in direct sunlight. LMAO

III was about Richard Pryor as a Computer genious who builds a Super Computer. Extremely hokey in idea and execution.

Bowser 12-16-2012 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9211847)
III was about Richard Pryor as a Computer genious who builds a Super Computer. Extremely hokey in idea and execution.

Thank you. It's all flooding back now. Didn't Clark split into a Good Supes/Bad Supes kind of thing, too?

http://www.filmonpaper.com/site/medi...-1-500x751.jpg

Gaaah, awful. LMAO

Deberg_1990 12-16-2012 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9211858)
Didn't Clark split into a Good Supes/Bad Supes kind of thing, too?

yes....probably the best part of the film.

KCWolfman 12-16-2012 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9211062)

I saw the first film the night of release. I hated it. It was a miserable rendition. Margot Kidder was not Lois Lane, she was a trashy version of Fran Drescher (if a trashier version could be), Luthor was a caricature instead of an evil icon, his henchman was not of the Luthor style whatsoever, his moll was ridiculous, the plot full of holes (who the hell would buy irradiated real estate?).

Don't get me wrong, Hackman and Brando were good in their performance, the story simply was not Superman. But Kidder, Beatty, Valerie Perrine, and Reeves were so over the top that it defined campy acting for me for years. What was the worst for me was that the best acting in the film was by Jackie Cooper and Marc McClure, minor secondaries at best.

Lex Luthor 12-16-2012 08:32 AM

I was extremely disappointed when I saw the first movie back in 1978. Then, after reducing my expectations, I was able to enjoy it when I watched it again, although I have to agree that Gene Hackman's comedic portrayal of Lex Luthor was terrible, and it sure would have been nice if they had chosen a hot actress to play Lois Lane.

I expected nothing when I went to see movie #2 a couple of years later, so I was pleasantly surprised. I actually liked the movie the first time I saw it. It still wasn't a completely serious movie, but it came a lot closer.

Movies III and IV were just plain boring, and subsequent viewings didn't make them any better.

I hate to even think about the abomination that was Superman Returns. Even though I wasn't really expecting much, I was pretty pissed off at how horrible that movie was. I tried to watch it a second time a few years later, but I just couldn't get through it.

Having said all of that, now I can say this: the trailer for Man of Steel looks like it might actually be a good movie. If it opens at midnight, I'll be there. As you might guess from my name on this site, I'm about as big a Superman geek as you will ever find. I was a big fan of reruns of the original television show with George Reeves, and I read the comic books when I was a kid in the 1960s and 1970s. The Smallville television show just about got everything right in that there were no elements of farce in it and all of the women were extremely hot, but Tom Welling's absolute refusal to ever put on the Superman costume or use the Superman name was a little disappointing. But at least they used the name and the costume at the very end of the finale.

I'm ready for the Man of Steel movie.

beach tribe 12-16-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9209777)
Yeah, but you expect everything to be great.

:LOL:

Red Brooklyn 12-16-2012 09:06 AM

That first Donner Superman film is hilarious in all the wrong ways. I love Reeve in the part, but there's too much that I don't like for any of the actors to save the thing.

I like Superman II a WHOLE lot more. The Donner cut especially.

All the rest of them are abysmal. Superman IV was fun for me when I was a little kid. I was 7 when that came out and it was great. As I got older, the movie revealed itself. I can't even watch it as a joke anymore.

Man of Steel has me excited.

Bowser 12-16-2012 12:13 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oRmMPdMPyYQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Deberg_1990 12-16-2012 12:15 PM

I was 8 when I first saw Superman in theaters. It was pretty magical for an 8 year old. All depends on your frame of reference. For an older kid or adult, it was probably corny.
Posted via Mobile Device

007 12-16-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9212545)
I was 8 when I first saw Superman in theaters. It was pretty magical for an 8 year old. All depends on your frame of reference. For an older kid or adult, it was probably corny.
Posted via Mobile Device

I remember not liking the goofiness of Lex but the movie as a whole was awesome for me as an 8 year old. Personally, I still like it today even though it is ultimately campy as all hel.

Bowser 12-16-2012 12:21 PM

Even as a kid, I didn't understand Ned Beatty's character. I had read Superman comics, and I never really remembered a comedy relief guy like that in the stories.

KCWolfman 12-16-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9212573)
Even as a kid, I didn't understand Ned Beatty's character. I had read Superman comics, and I never really remembered a comedy relief guy like that in the stories.

Never, ever in the original comics and graphic novels, nor Perrine as Luthor's girlfriend.

Deberg_1990 12-16-2012 01:42 PM

Yea, I'd love to know the thought process behind the Beatty character and why they felt the need to make him so stupid.

I'm guessing they probably felt they needed comedy relief with kiddie appeal.

007 12-16-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9212928)
Yea, I'd love to know the thought process behind the Beatty character and why they felt the need to make him so stupid.

I'm guessing they probably felt they needed comedy relief with kiddie appeal.

They didn't know you can have a serious movie and still have a little comic relief back then. They overloaded on the comic relief.

KCWolfman 12-16-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9212986)
They didn't know you can have a serious movie and still have a little comic relief back then. They overloaded on the comic relief.

They overloaded on character development at the cost of plot and story line.

Red Brooklyn 12-16-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCWolfman (Post 9212995)
They overloaded on character development at the cost of plot and story line.

I'll take character over plot any day.

This is not the problem with the original Superman film.

KCWolfman 12-16-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 9213014)
I'll take character over plot any day.

This is not the problem with the original Superman film.

Really?

Luthor's plan is to buy up land in Arizona and then blast it with nuclear bombs so he can sell it for a profit. You don't see plot holes there? I see holes big enough to pass Jupiter through unscathed.

Deberg_1990 12-16-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9212986)

Well, if I remember right, it was the first big budget superhero film, so they were sort of blazing a trail. Different era and obviously wouldn't work in today's film world.

Red Brooklyn 12-16-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCWolfman (Post 9213028)
Really?

Luthor's plan is to buy up land in Arizona and then blast it with nuclear bombs so he can sell it for a profit. You don't see plot holes there? I see holes big enough to pass Jupiter through unscathed.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

You said, "They overloaded on character development at the cost of plot and story line."

The complaint you're lodging is about plot/storyline. There's plenty of it in the movie regardless of whether or not it's full of holes.

I'm just saying that I prefer stories with strong characters and character development vs stories with poor character development and a stellar plot.

The problem with the movie isn't that they have too much character and not enough plot, or that they sacrificed one for the other.

Red Brooklyn 12-16-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9213029)
Well, if I remember right, it was the first big budget superhero film, so they were sort of blazing a trail. Different era and obviously wouldn't work in today's film world.

I think the Bat-Man movie was release before Superman. But, to your, point, that's a campy movie as well. That's what audiences expected from comic book/superhero stories.

Bowser 12-16-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 9213066)
I think the Bat-Man movie was release before Superman. But, to your, point, that's a campy movie as well. That's what audiences expected from comic book/superhero stories.

Batman came out like a decade after the first Supes movie.

Red Brooklyn 12-16-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9213070)
Batman came out like a decade after the first Supes movie.

Batman: The Movie came out in 1966. Like a decade before the first Supes movie.

Bowser 12-16-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 9213078)
Batman: The Movie came out in 1966. Like a decade before the first Supes movie.

Ah, of course. I had my mind on the Burton version.

Submitted for your viewing pleasure....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XJlHjf_E--4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bowser 12-16-2012 02:21 PM

From the YouTube comments for above vid....

QUESTION - Is there anything batman dosnt have in his utility belt?

ANSWER - Patience for clowns like you

Red Brooklyn 12-16-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9213086)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XJlHjf_E--4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:)

To this day, one of my favorite scenes in any movie. It's just so stupid. I LOVE it.

But thank god Burton showed up to reinvent Batman on film.

007 12-16-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9213086)

still cracks me up they didn't even try to hide that the shark was tied to the ladder on his nose. LMAO

KCWolfman 12-16-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 9213066)

I think you nailed it. I expected Superman to be more serious and handled with forethought. Instead I got a water down version of an Adam West

bowener 12-16-2012 06:22 PM

Can somebody like Reaper give me a critical review of Superman Returns? Please!

Rugby Thompson 12-17-2012 01:12 AM

Superman sucks, no one wants to see that anymore.

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is the best super hero film of all time.

Setsuna 12-17-2012 05:38 PM

Saw previews for this when seeing The Hobbit. I am sincerely stoked about this one.

BWillie 12-18-2012 12:41 AM

Is Lex Luther going to be in this film? Id rather see a movie about him and his climb to evil

munkey 12-18-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 9220170)
Is Lex Luther going to be in this film? Id rather see a movie about him and his climb to evil

From what I'm hearing is it will a mix between say a smallville (Clark growing up) and Superman II with maybe even an ending with Batman? Rumors are all over the place...I would be kinda of a cool way to intro justice league though I never really understood the concept...I mean why would superman need help from anyone? UNLESS he has vulnerabilities other than just Kryptonite...Don't know...can't wait to find out.

bowener 12-18-2012 04:10 PM

This movie is starting to look like it may not be complete shit. I am actually (possibly) excited for Zach Snyder film. I like that it looks like the world isn't quite sure what to make of Superman (from what I have gathered form the trailers). I mean realistically world governments would be pretty weary of a superhuman that is everything proof.

bowener 03-01-2013 02:31 AM

This could be awesome.

Doc about Tim Burton's Supe's movie: Superman Lives

Bowser 03-01-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 9453654)

Interesting.

In that vein, if you've never seen Kevin Smith talking about the failed Supermna movie, then this is must watch....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hUwkqeI7XWk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Valiant 03-01-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9454310)
Interesting.

In that vein, if you've never seen Kevin Smith talking about the failed Supermna movie, then this is must watch....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hUwkqeI7XWk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Is that the documentry about the failed movie in early 2000s that involved brainiac?

bowener 03-01-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 9455503)
Is that the documentry about the failed movie in early 2000s that involved brainiac?

The one I posted about is, yes. Sounds like it could have been pretty awesome... except the visual may have been a little strange since Burton was involved.

Deberg_1990 03-01-2013 08:41 PM

Nicholas Cage would have made a poor Superman. I like Cage, but not as Superman
Posted via Mobile Device

Lex Luthor 03-01-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 9455503)

Did I hear my name mentioned?

DaFace 04-17-2013 10:47 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/T6DJcgm3wNY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bevischief 04-17-2013 11:48 AM

Looks good.

QuikSsurfer 04-17-2013 08:19 PM

http://i.imgur.com/PP0MK6i.jpg

tomahawk kid 04-18-2013 08:56 AM

After Batman Returns, I wouldn't have thought WB would have let Burton anywhere near Supes.

Sorter 04-18-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 9597554)

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqlcbgAyAD1qec2q9.gif

Imon Yourside 05-23-2013 06:47 PM

Looks awesome, Superman 2 was one of my favorite superhero movies....this looks a worthy successor...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OoJ8I6Aa1xg?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

007 05-23-2013 07:20 PM

Tell me why we need two threads on this again?

Imon Yourside 05-23-2013 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9704530)

I didn't know we had 2 threads, did a cp search and this popped up. Is there another thread? link?

007 05-24-2013 12:34 AM

Post #2 of this thread...

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9208767)

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9705545)
I didn't know we had 2 threads, did a cp search and this popped up. Is there another thread? link?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=234627

Lex Luthor 05-24-2013 01:26 AM

Quote:

We have literally dozens, if not hundreds, of threads about how Alex Smith is the worst quarterback in the history of the universe.

Tell me again why having TWO threads about this topic or ANY topic is such a horrible thing? :facepalm:

I'm tempted to start a third thread on this just to watch the repost police around here melt down.

007 05-24-2013 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 9705655)
We have literally dozens, if not hundreds, of threads about how Alex Smith is the worst quarterback in the history of the universe.

Tell me again why having TWO threads about this topic or ANY topic is such a horrible thing? :facepalm:

I'm tempted to start a third thread on this just to watch the repost police around here melt down.

That thread has been on the front page all week and has been very active.

And DAMNIT don't turn this into another Alex Smith thread. JFC we have enough of those damn threads. :evil:

Bowser 05-24-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Because this movie is going to be that damned good, that's why.

Tribal Warfare 03-19-2018 09:10 AM

Dane, have you heard anything concerning Mathew Vaughn directing MOS franchise, I'm asking because of DC/WB's reaction after the impending box office AIW success.