ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Drafting a nose = bad idea this year. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=255965)

Direckshun 02-09-2012 12:30 AM

Drafting a nose = bad idea this year.

Nose tackle prospects in the draft:

Dontari Poe, Memphis -- raw, from small school, inconsistent motor.
Alameda Ta'amu, Washington -- looks great one moment, notsogreat the next, more of a 1 gap
Josh Chapman, Alabama -- a little undersized, coming off ACL injury
Nick Jean-Baptiste, Baylor -- poor man's Phil Taylor
Henry Fangupo, BYU -- old rookie, completely raw from a goofy system, will needs a couple years

Everybody else is from a small school, or is a nobody getting attention for their size alone and is raw as red meat.

Now, check this out:

Nose tackle prospects in free agency:

Paul Soliai, Dolphins -- massive 2-gap hole-clogger, no longer fits Dolphins defense
Sione Pouha, Jets -- experienced 2-gapper, talented but past prime, could put in a solid season
Sammy Lee Hill, Lions -- huge, could be a decent value acquisition, not sure how he'd fit in a 2-gap
Antonio Garay, Chargers -- more of a 1-gapper
Kelly Gregg, Chiefs -- just sayin'
Shaun Rogers, Saints -- good one-year rental for the position
Aubrayu Franklin, Saints -- more of a 1-gapper
Casey Hampton, Steelers -- outside chance he lands on the market
Amon Gordon, Chiefs -- knows our system, Crennel likes him
Bryant McKinnie, Ravens -- could fill the role
Howard Green, Packers -- more of a 1-gapper but he did crack Cassel's ribs in the preseason, soooo...

My conclusion is that the draft is very shallow at the nose position.

It's not much better in free agency, but at least you've got guys that can play there.

jspchief 02-09-2012 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 8360297)
Nose tackle prospects in the draft:

Dontari Poe, Memphis -- raw, from small school, inconsistent motor.
Alameda Ta'amu, Washington -- looks great one moment, notsogreat the next, more of a 1 gap
Nick Jean-Baptiste, Baylor -- poor man's Phil Taylor
Henry Fangupo, BYU -- old rookie, completely raw from a goofy system, will needs a couple years

Everybody else is from a small school, or is a nobody getting attention for their size alone and is raw as red meat.

Now, check this out:

Nose tackle prospects in free agency:

Paul Soliai, Dolphins -- massive 2-gap hole-clogger, no longer fits Dolphins defense
Sione Pouha, Jets -- experienced 2-gapper, talented but past prime, could put in a solid season
Sammy Lee Hill, Lions -- huge, could be a decent value acquisition, not sure how he'd fit in a 2-gap
Antonio Garay, Chargers -- more of a 1-gapper
Kelly Gregg, Chiefs -- just sayin'
Shaun Rogers, Saints -- good one-year rental for the position
Aubrayu Franklin, Saints -- more of a 1-gapper
Casey Hampton, Steelers -- outside chance he lands on the market
Amon Gordon, Chiefs -- knows our system, Crennel likes him
Bryant McKinnie, Ravens -- could fill the role
Howard Green, Packers -- more of a 1-gapper but he did crack Cassel's ribs in the preseason, soooo...

My conclusion is that the draft is very shallow at the nose position.

It's not much better in free agency, but at least you've got guys that can play there.

I agree the NT class in this years draft is not impressive.

I really think we need to take a serious charge at Soliai. If we don't get him, get a stop-gap like Gregg, Franklin, etc. Maybe draft another late project and hope between him and Powe we aren't looking at the same need next year.

Gordon is a situational guy in my mind.

Chiefs=Champions 02-09-2012 04:37 AM

Go all out for Soliai, otherwise youre going to have to draft one. Just like QB, you need to take the plunge sooner or later..

spanky 52 02-09-2012 06:14 AM

I agree Soliai seems to be the best option. Gordon would seem like a good bet to be resigned for a couple of years. Maybe take a flyer on Chapman if he falls to the 4th round or later due to his injury.

RealSNR 02-09-2012 08:32 AM

I'd love for us to bring in Howard Green. The Packers play him at DE mostly because they were dry at the position this year. That's insane. The dude weighs 340.

One problem. He's 33. I don't want another Gregg.

suds79 02-09-2012 10:01 AM

Easier to said than done but I wouldn't mind trading down in the first and taking Poe.

To finally be done talking about NT would be nice for once. Seems like it's been an issue for years.

The Franchise 02-09-2012 10:28 AM

Sammie Lee Hill.

The Lions are DEEP on the defensive line. Trade a 3rd-4th round pick for this kid.

Sofa King 02-09-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petitelance (Post 8360687)
Sammie Lee Hill.

The Lions are DEEP on the defensive line. Trade a 3rd-4th round pick for this kid.

I was just coming in to say this. You've been clamoring for Hill for 2 years now.

O.city 02-09-2012 11:47 AM

Just sign Soliai. Best NT available for our D.

jd1020 02-09-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8360884)
Just sign Soliai. Best NT available for our D.

Likely going to be too expensive for this team after resigning Bowe and Carr with TJax getting a sizeable bonus from incentives for 2012.

Coogs 02-09-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 8360297)

Dude played something like the last 8 games of the season with the torn up knee! Pretty impressive IMO!

The Franchise 02-09-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 8360691)
I was just coming in to say this. You've been clamoring for Hill for 2 years now.

Yeah....now I wish the front office would ****ing listen.

Here's his scouting report.

Quote:

Positives: Tall with muscular overall build and long arms. … Displays excellent agility and quickness for his size. … Uses a punch and good hand play to discard offensive tackles at the line of scrimmage. … Swats chipping running backs away like flies on the outside. … Good closing speed and has the length to wrap up in the backfield. … Flashes the initial quickness inside. … Bull rushes his man into the pocket when one-on-one inside. … Breaks down on the edge and changes direction well for his size. … Could project as a 3-4 defensive end.

Negatives: Looks like a man among boys against lower level competition, especially when lined up on the edge, but must prove he can handle the next level physically. … Fails to consistently get off double teams when inside. … Must work on lowering his pad level so he's not stood up to lose the leverage battle against NFL offensive linemen and be susceptible to cut blocks. … Doesn't chase or hustle consistently.

Compares To: SHAUN ROGERS, Cleveland -- Hill has the potential to be much more consistent than Rogers, but will just need time to adjust to NFL life from the low level of competition he played in. Hill flashes a burst to finish and shows effectiveness stopping the running game as a three-tech defender. He has a very strong anchor vs. the run and uses his hands well to cross over the offensive lineman's face to make the play. He generates excellent leverage to stack at the point of attack. He has the quick, strong and active hands to split double teams and his long arms allow him to consistently push the pocket.

whoman69 02-09-2012 02:36 PM

You can nitpick any rookie. Almost anyone over 320 is not going to have a high motor, so that's a non-starter. This team has needed an NT since Pioli got here. I'd rather have a young one we can work with and have here for 8 years. If we were to get Poe or Ta'amu I would be thrilled. Ta-amu may be one gap now, but that doesn't mean he can't be coached up. You can't teach 330. Guy has the body for the position. I'd also be happy with Chapman in the 3rd. Dude has the right attitude and comes from a great system.

O.city 02-09-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8360899)
Likely going to be too expensive for this team after resigning Bowe and Carr with TJax getting a sizeable bonus from incentives for 2012.

He probably will cost alot, but one could say NT is the last piece the defense needs.

Wonder what teams will be in the bidding for him?

I figure us, the Texans, Steelers, and the Redskins.

whoman69 02-09-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8361959)
He probably will cost alot, but one could say NT is the last piece the defense needs.

Wonder what teams will be in the bidding for him?

I figure us, the Texans, Steelers, and the Redskins.

I heard the skins are switching to 4-3