ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Other Games Magic: The Gathering (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=261762)

Buck 07-25-2012 11:29 PM

Magic: The Gathering

So I've been getting back into this. I know we have some current and former players here so use this thread to discuss or Buy/Sell/Trade cards.

Frazod 07-25-2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8768297)
So I've been getting back into this. I know we have some current and former players here so use this thread to discuss or Buy/Sell/Trade cards.

I'd love to, but some prick broke into my storage locker when I still lived in Chicago and stole all my cards. I had a shoe box full of them. :#

I sure enjoyed playing. Of course, my cards were stolen about 11 years ago, and I have no idea how the game has changed since then.

Buck 07-25-2012 11:33 PM

Right now I'm playing with GW Humans with Flicker and Exalted. Its really fun to play and it's frustrating as hell for my opponents. I still need to tweak it a little bit.

Buck 07-25-2012 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8768302)
I'd love to, but some prick broke into my storage locker when I still lived in Chicago and stole all my cards. I had a shoe box full of them. :#

I sure enjoyed playing. Of course, my cards were stolen about 11 years ago, and I have no idea how the game has changed since then.

Same basic mechanics with a lot of new abilities. I stopped playing around the same time your cards were stolen. Not too hard to get back in to, but its not easy (or cheap) to master.

Frazod 07-25-2012 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8768309)
Same basic mechanics with a lot of new abilities. I stopped playing around the same time your cards were stolen. Not too hard to get back in to, but its not easy (or cheap) to master.

I had some pretty good cards, but it was so long ago I don't even remember what they were.

Hopefully the ****er that stole them is getting violated in prison right now.

As I remember, I was partial to a red/black deck.

Saulbadguy 07-26-2012 06:14 AM

I started around 4th edition.

Quit after Exodus was released.

Started again for a bit around 10th edition. Quit again. Started again recently, played in a few prerelease tournaments and booster drafts. Haven't played for awhile. :(

Too difficult to keep up with all the new cards.

Reaper16 07-26-2012 09:42 AM

I haven't been playing standard for about two years now. The secondary market is just too insane nowadays; this is one expensive hobby.

I still play the game though. A lot. Casual formats like cube draft or Elder Dragon Highlander/Commander. I buy cards from time to time, mostly singles.

If I have the funds, I buy 4x of all commons and uncommons in the set. I really like making Peasant/Pauper decks (where you have no rares); it's a fun deckbuilding challenge.

I find that you can get your Magic fix on the cheap through the Duels of the Plansewalkers games, on Steam of XBox Live or Playstation Network. There are online multiplayer formats and everything. Duels 2013 is worth every penny.

Saulbadguy 07-26-2012 09:48 AM

I wish magic: online was better. It's more expensive than the real game, which doesn't make sense to me.

Reaper16 07-26-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 8768791)
I wish magic: online was better. It's more expensive than the real game, which doesn't make sense to me.

There's a give and take between the markets on MTGO and the real world. Mostly because MTGO sets the secondary market for paper cards. Developments in the metagame happen about a week faster on MTGO.

Buck 07-26-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8768777)
I haven't been playing standard for about two years now. The secondary market is just too insane nowadays; this is one expensive hobby.

I still play the game though. A lot. Casual formats like cube draft or Elder Dragon Highlander/Commander. I buy cards from time to time, mostly singles.

If I have the funds, I buy 4x of all commons and uncommons in the set. I really like making Peasant/Pauper decks (where you have no rares); it's a fun deckbuilding challenge.

I find that you can get your Magic fix on the cheap through the Duels of the Plansewalkers games, on Steam of XBox Live or Playstation Network. There are online multiplayer formats and everything. Duels 2013 is worth every penny.

Yeah the 4x Common/Uncommon sets are like $35 after shipping on eBay. Picked one up.

Its much more efficient to buy those and singles. How are the controls on the Xbox game? I had 2012 on PC, and it was cool, but I might pick up 2013 for PSN so I can play from bed.

Reaper16 07-26-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8769029)
Yeah the 4x Common/Uncommon sets are like $35 after shipping on eBay. Picked one up.

Its much more efficient to buy those and singles. How are the controls on the Xbox game? I had 2012 on PC, and it was cool, but I might pick up 2013 for PSN so I can play from bed.

I remember the controls being alright for Xbox. I haven't played it on Xbox in two years though, as I bought 2012 and 2013 for Steam (so I can play during my office hours, on my laptop).

QuikSsurfer 07-26-2012 04:23 PM

lol

Valiant 07-26-2012 08:26 PM

It is amazing, I have this sweet 'sugar cube' card, it crits all playable cards with obesity and they are removed from the game and you get one free insult to your opponents..

kysirsoze 07-26-2012 09:36 PM

I stopped playing in junior high (not a dig, just a fact). I've looked into possibly playing recently, but it's like a completely different game. At least 3 times the rules and half of my cards are banned.

Frazod 07-26-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 8770600)
I stopped playing in junior high (not a dig, just a fact). I've looked into possibly playing recently, but it's like a completely different game. At least 3 times the rules and half of my cards are banned.

How the hell can the ban a card that they made and you paid for?

Reaper16 07-26-2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 8770600)

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8770628)
How the hell can the ban a card that they made and you paid for?

Bannings can happen in sanctioned tournament formats, for many reasons. Cards also rotate out of formats like Standard and Extended.

But there are also sanctioned formats like Legacy and Vintage where cards from all of Magic's history are legal (aside from the banned & restricted list).

And you can always play a non-sanctioned game with someone in which you need not follow any banned list.

Jawshco 07-26-2012 11:00 PM

Buck- I don't play MTG, but I started playing some card games that I highly recommend - Munchkin and Gloom. Both are hilarious and fun.

NewChief 07-27-2012 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jawshco (Post 8770728)
Buck- I don't play MTG, but I started playing some card games that I highly recommend - Munchkin and Gloom. Both are hilarious and fun.

Dominion is also pretty highly regarded (I've only played the iPad app, which isn't great).

Dayze 07-27-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 8769943)
lol

+ 1. :D

BWillie 07-27-2012 10:02 PM

Can someone tell me about this game? Is there skill to it? I know some poker pros who at some point or another been really into this game.

Reaper16 07-27-2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007 (Post 8773438)
Can someone tell me about this game? Is there skill to it? I know some poker pros who at some point or another been really into this game.

Yeah, there's tons of poker pros who came up as Magic pros. Magic is an incredibly skill-testing game. It tests similar skills as poker and chess, but because of the nature of the game there are so many more types of cards/effects to know about in a given play format. When I watch the best professional Magic players play I am often in literal awe.

It's so, so skill-testing and rewarding.

patteeu 07-27-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jawshco (Post 8770728)

Both of those were featured on Wil Wheaton's celebrity table top gaming web series, "Tabletop". Steve Jackson was one of the guests on the Munchkin episode (Munchkin is a Steve Jackson Games creation).

patteeu 07-27-2012 10:47 PM

I used to play MTG shortly after it was created (mostly Revised Edition and a few of the expansions that came out around that time). It's a great game, but I haven't played in 15 years or so.

A collectable card game I liked even more than MTG was called Vampire: The Eternal Struggle (originally called Jyhad). It's based on the Vampire: The Masquerade RPG world. A typical game lasts quite a bit longer than a MTG duel and is better with 4 or more players so it's harder to get people together to play, but it's outstanding AFAIC.

Buck 07-28-2012 12:24 AM

EDH is awesome.

Jawshco 07-29-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 8773539)
Both of those were featured on Wil Wheaton's celebrity table top gaming web series, "Tabletop". Steve Jackson was one of the guests on the Munchkin episode (Munchkin is a Steve Jackson Games creation).

Yeah, I like that show. I've been playing both games since I saw them featured there along with Tsuro and Zombie Dice. Thinking about playing Catan and Ticket to Ride as well. Just haven't had the cash to buy either one yet.

Saulbadguy 07-30-2012 06:00 AM

Some of the most filthy, smelly, disgusting people play Magic: The Gathering. Sometimes it makes it difficult to concentrate.

Reaper16 07-30-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 8777238)
Some of the most filthy, smelly, disgusting people play Magic: The Gathering. Sometimes it makes it difficult to concentrate.

This is true of gaming culture at large. So many gamers are unhygienic, vile, misogynistic twerps. It turns people off from a lot of fantastic games.

Amnorix 07-30-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8772507)
Dominion is also pretty highly regarded (I've only played the iPad app, which isn't great).

Dominion is superb. Very different feel from Magic, however. It's not a tap/resource type game at all.

Amnorix 07-30-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 8773553)
I used to play MTG shortly after it was created (mostly Revised Edition and a few of the expansions that came out around that time). It's a great game, but I haven't played in 15 years or so.

A collectable card game I liked even more than MTG was called Vampire: The Eternal Struggle (originally called Jyhad). It's based on the Vampire: The Masquerade RPG world. A typical game lasts quite a bit longer than a MTG duel and is better with 4 or more players so it's harder to get people together to play, but it's outstanding AFAIC.

Christ, it frightens me how similar we are (other than your misguided love for DICK Cheney).

I played with original Magic cards. My buddy who owned them had a friend of his who opened a game store and those original, limited first edition Magic cards were given to him for a shit-ton of store credit and gave the store instant cred for getting off the ground.

Meanwhile, I was big into Jyhad for a while, before I had to go off and get a career. Some friends of mine are starting back up again. Our first game in 15 or so years is this Saturday. I'm going with a Malkav/Tremere steal/bleed deck to start. We'll see. I'm sure it will suck, but hopefully everyone else's will too, and stealth/bleed is hard to screw up.

Another good collectible card game (which Dominion is NOT, for those who don't know), was Battletech. It was outstanding for 2 players.

The Middle Earth Collectible Card Game was also very, very good, but could be LONG.

There's a fantastic online engine for MECCG. You have to know all the rules and everything yourself, but it's a great interface.

Amnorix 07-30-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jawshco (Post 8776979)
Yeah, I like that show. I've been playing both games since I saw them featured there along with Tsuro and Zombie Dice. Thinking about playing Catan and Ticket to Ride as well. Just haven't had the cash to buy either one yet.

Settlers of Catan is good. There are many variants/expansions.

The others I'm not familiar with.

Imon Yourside 07-30-2012 01:45 PM

I've a lot of 2nd edition cards. They actually made it through my sons birth all the way up until 11, i deserve a cookie for that. Rock Hydra? Royal Assassin anyone?

patteeu 07-30-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 8777987)
Christ, it frightens me how similar we are (other than your misguided love for DICK Cheney).

I played with original Magic cards. My buddy who owned them had a friend of his who opened a game store and those original, limited first edition Magic cards were given to him for a shit-ton of store credit and gave the store instant cred for getting off the ground.

Meanwhile, I was big into Jyhad for a while, before I had to go off and get a career. Some friends of mine are starting back up again. Our first game in 15 or so years is this Saturday. I'm going with a Malkav/Tremere steal/bleed deck to start. We'll see. I'm sure it will suck, but hopefully everyone else's will too, and stealth/bleed is hard to screw up.

Another good collectible card game (which Dominion is NOT, for those who don't know), was Battletech. It was outstanding for 2 players.

The Middle Earth Collectible Card Game was also very, very good, but could be LONG.

There's a fantastic online engine for MECCG. You have to know all the rules and everything yourself, but it's a great interface.

Don't let our common past bother you too much. Most of the people I played with were crazy liberals too. :p

Buck 07-30-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 8778003)
I've a lot of 2nd edition cards. They actually made it through my sons birth all the way up until 11, i deserve a cookie for that. Rock Hydra? Royal Assassin anyone?

Are you selling?

Ming the Merciless 07-30-2012 02:23 PM

I play too, stoppedplaying at Ice Age. I have a ton of Revised and prior.....I probably have 30+ dual lands, and plenty of other good cards.....8 sink holes, ice storms, mana drains, ali from cairo, .....

I think i might sell though, if I do I will post up ebay links here.

NewChief 07-30-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 8777969)
Dominion is superb. Very different feel from Magic, however. It's not a tap/resource type game at all.

I should have clarified. It's not a CCG game. It's a deck building game.

Buck 07-30-2012 03:07 PM

I really only want to play EDH so I'm interested on older cards, but not necessarily the best for standard/legacy.

Imon Yourside 07-30-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8778068)
Are you selling?

I know you'll ask so i'll just go ahead and say i have zero mox cards. Lots of dual land tho

phisherman 07-30-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007 (Post 8773438)

BWillie will fit right in with the Magic crowd...

Saulbadguy 07-30-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phisherman (Post 8778828)
BWillie will fit right in with the Magic crowd...

He would never be able to figure it out.

Saulbadguy 07-30-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 8778507)
I know you'll ask so i'll just go ahead and say i have zero mox cards. Lots of dual land tho

Dual lands sell for a shit ton. Don't let BUCK scam you.

Buck 07-30-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 8778833)
Dual lands sell for a shit ton. Don't let BUCK scam you.

www.tcgplayer.com

look up any card before you sell it

Saulbadguy 07-30-2012 06:40 PM

i've got sorin lord of innistrad and liliana of the veil. and snapcaster mage.

Frazod 07-30-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8778836)
www.tcgplayer.com

look up any card before you sell it

Should... not... have.... looked.... at that. :#

I remember having so many cards on that list that are worth big bucks now.

:cuss:

phisherman 07-30-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 8778832)
He would never be able to figure it out.

I'd just love to see the look on his face (and the faces of the others) if he showed up at a group game.

NewChief 07-30-2012 07:27 PM

OMG. Shivan Dragons really are going for like $180. Crazy. I had a few.

Yikes. I had a bunch of Vesuvian Dopplegangers. They're going for $419. :banghead:

Buck 07-30-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8778885)
Should... not... have.... looked.... at that. :#

I remember having so many cards on that list that are worth big bucks now.

:cuss:

At least someone got something for them and they didn't like burn in a fire or anything.

Frazod 07-30-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8778930)
At least someone got something for them and they didn't like burn in a fire or anything.

Believe me, I'd rather have flushed them down the toilet myself than have a thieving punk make a nickel off them.

I need to turn my buddy onto that site, though. He still has all his cards and his collection is about three or four times what I had. He's sitting on a gold mine.

Imon Yourside 07-30-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8778922)

Yikes. I had a bunch of Vesuvian Dopplegangers. They're going for $419. :banghead:

I have at least 4 Shivan Dragons. I have an atog card that says +2/+2 but not until end of turn...misprint i guess. Looks like the Royal Assassin isn't worth as much as i thought....3 Serra Angels around $100 a pop..thanks for the link buck. Savannahs valued at $750? time to get rich, woot!

KC Jones 07-30-2012 10:09 PM

You should build your deck around this:

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs50/f/20...by_Mawbane.jpg

Imon Yourside 07-30-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Jones (Post 8779333)
You should build your deck around this:

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs50/f/20...by_Mawbane.jpg

Anitoch?

TLO 07-30-2012 10:25 PM

So... Pokemon cards. Those worth anything?

Reaper16 07-30-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFan369 (Post 8779367)
So... Pokemon cards. Those worth anything?

Not really. While the Poke'mon CCG is still played, there isn't an organized play format for old sets.

The reason why old Magic cards command such a pricepoint is because they are in high demand to play with, in the Vintage and Legacy formats.

TLO 07-30-2012 10:37 PM

Well damn. How about Beanie Babies? Got a few rare ones packaged away somewhere around here.

Reaper16 07-30-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFan369 (Post 8779387)
Well damn. How about Beanie Babies? Got a few rare ones packaged away somewhere around here.

I don't know. I doubt there's much of a market for them anymore. Maybe the rare bears still fetch close to three digits.

Saulbadguy 07-31-2012 05:49 AM

I had a few dual lands, plenty of serra angels and shivan dragons. sigh. None of the power nine although I did have a Scherazade (sp?) that I used in a EDH game once. That did not go over well.

patteeu 07-31-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8778922)

You had to have Alpha or Beta versions to get that kind of dough though. The Unlimited and Revised edition versions, which is what most of my cards are (and I started playing in 93 or 94) are only worth $10 or less. If you had the earlier limited editions, I feel for you.

NewChief 07-31-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 8780553)
You had to have Alpha or Beta versions to get that kind of dough though. The Unlimited and Revised edition versions, which is what most of my cards are (and I started playing in 93 or 94) are only worth $10 or less. If you had the earlier limited editions, I feel for you.

Ahh, yeah. I started playing in 93/94 as well, so mine probably weren't worth that.

Saulbadguy 08-01-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8768899)
There's a give and take between the markets on MTGO and the real world. Mostly because MTGO sets the secondary market for paper cards. Developments in the metagame happen about a week faster on MTGO.

Interesting.

:hmmm:

I might have to just sell off my paper card collection and invest in that. I don't have the time to play IRL that much but online would be much easier.

Chazno 08-14-2012 04:12 PM

Saw this on slickdeals and thought of you all.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...tag=slickdeals

Buck 09-15-2012 12:00 PM

Alright, this is what I'm running post-rotation. Already have most the cards that aren't from RtR, and some that are (Overgrown Tombs).

I'm not sure about Rancor here. I might remove it completely, move the 4x Grisly Salvage to the mainboard and then sideboard 4x Farseek or maybe a few Arbor Elf.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/bg-zombies-15-09-12-1/
http://i.imgur.com/7vipW.png

Hammock Parties 09-15-2012 12:47 PM

THERE IS ONLY ONE CCG

http://www.trollandtoad.com/images/p...res/207132.jpg

http://www.michaeldworkis.com/ForSal...rs/SWcards.jpg

Saulbadguy 09-15-2012 12:56 PM

I still have some star wars ccg cards

Hammock Parties 09-15-2012 01:00 PM

The prices Death Star II boxes sell at on Ebay are ridiculous.

Buck 09-15-2012 01:17 PM

Playtested for a half hour and Lotleth Troll is going bye-bye.

Bringing in 4x Blood Artist

A Salt Weapon 09-15-2012 01:17 PM

Is there a market for swccg cards? I left MTG for swccg before getting out. I still have boxes of the cards and multiples of all the rares, black border mains,etc. Up to about dagobah set. Just sitting in an attic.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rausch 09-15-2012 01:20 PM

I'm just amazed there's a thread for this.

And to think there are still people afraid to admit to having teh seggs with other men.

I mean, other than Buck...

Buck 09-15-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 8911937)
I'm just amazed there's a thread for this.

And to think there are still people afraid to admit to having teh seggs with other men.

I mean, other than Buck...

How is this any different from having interest in Comic Books? What about it makes me want to have sex w/ men?

Hammock Parties 09-15-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Salt Weapon (Post 8911930)
Is there a market for swccg cards? I left MTG for swccg before getting out. I still have boxes of the cards and multiples of all the rares, black border mains,etc. Up to about dagobah set. Just sitting in an attic.
Posted via Mobile Device

Black Border Premiere and anything from Endor, Reflections, Death Star II and prequel sets sell well.

A Salt Weapon 09-15-2012 03:46 PM

Not sure of those but I have full sets+ of premiere (black border) a lot of white as well, a new hope, hoth, dagobah. Probably 2-3 of each main character as well.
Where's the best place to try and sell them?
Posted via Mobile Device

Baby Lee 09-15-2012 07:22 PM

Don't know shit about this, but the headline suggested that those participating here might be interested.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/revis...up-nerd,84662/

beach tribe 09-15-2012 10:33 PM

Is that the game all the nerds were playing back in HS when I was banging cheerleaders?:evil:

beach tribe 09-15-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8911971)
How is this any different from having interest in Comic Books? What about it makes me want to have sex w/ men?

Seriously.
Most of the people I knew who played weren't having sex with anyone.

This my first attempt at Trolling.
How am I doing?

Hammock Parties 09-15-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Salt Weapon (Post 8912166)
Not sure of those but I have full sets+ of premiere (black border) a lot of white as well, a new hope, hoth, dagobah. Probably 2-3 of each main character as well.
Where's the best place to try and sell them?
Posted via Mobile Device

ebay

A Salt Weapon 09-15-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 8913298)
Is that the game all the nerds were playing back in HS when I was banging cheerleaders?:evil:

Negative, this is the game the kids were playing when you were still wearing your step-mom's pantyhose and fantasizing about your first sexual encounter, while licking the semen-crusted stains on her panties.
Posted via Mobile Device

beach tribe 09-16-2012 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Salt Weapon (Post 8913336)
Negative, this is the game the kids were playing when you were still wearing your step-mom's pantyhose and fantasizing about your first sexual encounter, while licking the semen-crusted stains on her panties.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm 32. I take it you are one of the virgins I was talking about.

A Salt Weapon 09-16-2012 02:28 AM

Hardly, there was a few of us that played it in high school, none of us were nerds and none of us were virgins either.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jerm 04-22-2013 05:52 PM

Giving this the almighty bump because I recently just got into MTG and looking to see if there were any games, tournies, FNM, etc. in the area...

Also looking for any help or tips or tricks for a n00b...I'm almost overwhelmed at how deep this game is lol and I've barely scratched the surface....

Buck 04-22-2013 05:57 PM

Get out now. Its too expensive.

The Franchise 04-22-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9615085)
Get out now. Its too expensive.

This.

Back when I was playing all of the time....I was buying boxes of booster packs. Wanna have fun? Buy Duels of the Planeswalkers for either the PS3, 360 or PC.

Jerm 04-22-2013 06:10 PM

I'll be able to rein myself in lol...