ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Electronics Camera Suggestions? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=273307)

Fire Me Boy! 05-23-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9703711)
Whatever works for you.

I shoot professionally so I can only speak of what I know.

Hell a major wire or sports agency won't even talk to a photographer unless they have certain equipment.

That's why I have to have it.

You can get by with a lot less.

:spock:

|Zach| 05-23-2013 03:05 PM

Those poor wire guys work for peanuts. No wonder why he takes photos of the cheerleaders while the real guys shoot the game.

Dayze 05-23-2013 03:57 PM

Jesus! I come back to this thread and a ton of useful information! ...a CP first?:D

Lots of great info to digest. Espectially on the DSLR route.
I'm very new, but i'm sort of an artsy guy. I could see it being a fun hobby to get very creative with.

so, with the DSLR (sp?) cameras, you need the camera + a lens right out of the gate?

|Zach| 05-23-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9703922)
Jesus! I come back to this thread and a ton of useful information! ...a CP first?:D

I'm very new, but i'm sort of an artsy guy. I could see it being a fun hobby to get very creative with.

so, with the DSLR (sp?) cameras, you need the camera + a lens right out of the gate?

Yup their base design makes it so you have interchangeable lenses.

Dayze 05-23-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 9703930)
Yup their base design makes it so you have interchangeable lenses.

:hmmm:

Buns 05-23-2013 04:15 PM

Most DSLR cams come body only or with a kit lens. It's something to use, but it's usually the cheapest lens they make.

houstonwhodat 05-23-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 9703786)
Those poor wire guys work for peanuts. No wonder why he takes photos of the cheerleaders while the real guys shoot the game.

I shoot everything at the game.

Sorry you're so jealous and have a pathetic life.

houstonwhodat 05-23-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Get a kit.

Won't be the best lens but will be very useable.

You can add to it later.

A decent kit will cost you between 500 and 1000 though.

|Zach| 05-23-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9703966)
I shoot everything at the game.

Sorry you're so jealous and have a pathetic life.

My life is just fine. I actually make money doing commercial work at the games while you wire guys fall over yourselves for peanuts and make sad bastard posts on Sports Shooter. I see your type all the time.

prhom 05-23-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

I'm getting mine as a kit, but they sell just the camera. I don't know enough about the lenses to try buying them separately. I also wasn't going to spend a ton on both a camera and lens right out of the gate. Seems like the kit is a better deal as well.

Like you, I'm thinking it could be a lot of fun. I've always wanted a nice camera to learn photography, but never ponied up for it till now. I wanted a camera that was better than my skills were so I could grow into it.

Dayze 05-23-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prhom (Post 9704172)
I'm getting mine as a kit, but they sell just the camera. I don't know enough about the lenses to try buying them separately. I also wasn't going to spend a ton on both a camera and lens right out of the gate. Seems like the kit is a better deal as well.

Like you, I'm thinking it could be a lot of fun. I've always wanted a nice camera to learn photography, but never ponied up for it till now. I wanted a camera that was better than my skills were so I could grow into it.

Basically where I'm at

ghak99 05-23-2013 07:44 PM

I'd rather shoot my old D50 than the D3100. I swear the 3100 hates me. It's getting replaced soon. Very soon.

I hate to make the switch to Canon because of the glass swapping involved, but I'm almost to the point I'm ready to do it.

Dave Lane 05-23-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9703675)
I know very, very few photographers that have that kind of gear. Unless he's getting into it professionally, no one needs to spend that kind of money. And it'd be silly to spend that for him. He could spend $1,000 on body and lens and have a camera that would well past his needs for the next 15 years.

I just spent $300 of a 50mm fixed f/1.8 Canon lens, and I've been thrilled with it. No, at f/2.8 it's not as sharp on their L-series, but I don't shoot at f/2.8 that often. At f/4.0 it's one of the sharpest lenses I've used, including some of the L-series.

Canons nifty fifty lens has great glass in it for $100. For what I'm doing I keep shrinking mm lens. The 24mm L f1.4 lens was still narrow so went to a Samyang 14 mm f2.8

Dave Lane 05-23-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghak99 (Post 9704636)
I'd rather shoot my old D50 than the D3100. I swear the 3100 hates me. It's getting replaced soon. Very soon.

I hate to make the switch to Canon because of the glass swapping involved, but I'm almost to the point I'm ready to do it.

Canon is ahead of Nikon right now may change later on but the 5D mkIII is a hell of a camera.

ghak99 05-23-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 9704935)
Canon is ahead of Nikon right now may change later on but the 5D mkIII is a hell of a camera.

With the needed glass swap the MKIII is well out of my range.