ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Ford Invents Hybrid that is *300% more efficient* than Toyota Prius (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=135677)

penguinz 02-13-2006 01:16 PM

Ford Invents Hybrid that is *300% more efficient* than Toyota Prius

Ford is developing a new form of automotive propulsion, and the implications for the American Auto Industry are huge. The Hydraulic Hybrid could be the greatest innovation since the internal combustion engine itself, and Ford is on the inside track with its F-150 Hybrid. New Tech Spy Has learned details about the system that are simply amazing and could put Ford in a commanding position in the fiercely competitive full size pickup market.
---The Idea behind the current crop of Hybrid cars is well known; the cars main energy comes from gasoline which recharges batteries that move the car at low speeds. Hydraulic Hybrids work in the same manner, only instead of batteries, excess energy is stored in hydraulic cylinders.That in itself is not revolutionary, except for the fact that Nickel Metal Hydride batteries used today are not an efficient way to store energy, and hydraulic storage blows them away with 3X the efficiency. Even next generation Lithium Ion batteries do not come close to Hydraulic Energy Storage.
---The standard F-150 has a curb weight of about 4800 lbs., which is 65% greater than theToyota Prius, yet incredibly the Hydraulic F-150 with a continuously variable transmission matches the Prius with 60mpg city rating, that’s an amazing 400% increase over its gasoline version.
---The F-150 makes for a perfect host for Hydraulic Hybrid technology because of its height and body on frame construction, adding this system to smaller vehicles will be challenging, but with those kind of numbers small vehicles as we know them may become obsolete...The Hydraulic F-150 is currently scheduled for launch in August of 2008, can Ford work out all the bugs by then? The people are waiting for Ford to come through in the clutch.

SOURCE

Saulbadguy 02-13-2006 01:17 PM

:clap:

Gonzo 02-13-2006 01:17 PM

They're going out of buisness any way so who gives a crap. My truck=14mpg and damn proud of it.
V8 baby

Hoover 02-13-2006 01:18 PM

about effin time!

PHOG 02-13-2006 01:22 PM

Yeah

We'll se what the oil gurus have to say about this.. :mad:

Hoover 02-13-2006 01:25 PM

I think we are seeing the car guys tell the oil guys to fu@k off, because the consumer, for the first time ever in concerned about MPG

PHOG 02-13-2006 01:30 PM

Well, it's only about 30 years overdue, and you may be right..just look at the record profits of anything oil related.

Could they see the writing on the wall, and taking their last gasp at gouging us? :hmmm: I'm skeptical, but hopeful.

Inspector 02-13-2006 01:31 PM

I've been working on the latest rubber band technology. The possibilities are enormous.

Mr. Laz 02-13-2006 01:34 PM

skeptical but hopeful too

any progress away from fossil fuel is a good one imo. :clap:

if they can do this with a heavy truck, what kind of MPG will they get with smaller,lighter cars?

htismaqe 02-13-2006 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz
if they can do this with a heavy truck, what kind of MPG will they get with smaller,lighter cars?

Right now, none.

These hydaulic power units won't fit in smaller, lighter cars yet.

teedubya 02-13-2006 01:41 PM

Oh wow.

Skip Towne 02-13-2006 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe
Right now, none.

They will figure out a way to do it if it pans out for Ford.

Mr. Laz 02-13-2006 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe
Right now, none.

ahh ... i see, thanks

people are great at making stuff smaller ... shouldn't be too long IF they really want to make them.

htismaqe 02-13-2006 01:48 PM

What will happen is that Ford will unveil the technology in the F150 and Toyota or Honda will figure out a way to make it smaller...

After all, that's what they're good at, according to Reggie White.

Eleazar 02-13-2006 01:49 PM

I'll believe it when I see it... but hopefully I see it.

I can't help but wonder, if Ford is working on this how many other automakers are working on the next generation hybrids? It seems like it's usually other makers who are the innovators in features, so someone is probably a step ahead.