ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   New Teicher on the Coaching Situation (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=132469)

nychief 12-30-2005 10:46 PM

New Teicher on the Coaching Situation

Would the Chiefs consider Saunders?
BY ADAM TEICHER
Knight Ridder Newspapers

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - As many as 10 NFL coaching positions will become vacant as soon as next week, so the chances are better than ever that Al Saunders will receive one of them.

But will it be with the Chiefs?

No one would talk about the possibility publicly, not with the job still being Dick Vermeil's at least through the weekend. It's likely that president/general manager Carl Peterson would grant Saunders, the Chiefs' offensive coordinator, an interview should Sunday's game against Cincinnati be Vermeil's last with Kansas City.

Saunders has never confirmed that the Chiefs promised him he would receive strong consideration as Vermeil's eventual replacement and declined to answer questions on the subject this week.

Sources have indicated, however, that the Chiefs did make that promise. Vermeil has campaigned for Saunders to be his successor for most of his time with the Chiefs.

If the Chiefs are interested in Saunders, they may have to move quickly. He may wind up talking to the Lions, who weeks ago fired Steve Mariucci.

Next week should bring vacancies in St. Louis, Oakland and Houston, among other places. Saunders has a history with each franchise. He was an assistant coach for the Rams for two seasons between coaching jobs with the Chiefs.

He once interviewed for head coaching jobs with Houston and Oakland - the Texans in 2001 and the Raiders two years ago.

"With the way the Chiefs have played offense, he'd be a guy you'd have to consider, that some team would have to consider," ESPN analyst Mark Schlereth said. "There's going to be a lot of opportunity out there."

Saunders' age - he will be 59 in February - may wind up working against him.

"He's a guy that's been around for a long time, and it seems like the trend has been to go younger and with defensive coordinators," Schlereth said. "That's guys like Marvin Lewis and guys like Lovie Smith. They've had success."

With the Chiefs still struggling on defense even after the return of coordinator Gunther Cunningham, Peterson may be thinking the Chiefs need a coach with a defensive philosophy.

"If I were the Chiefs, I'd start looking to defense," Schlereth said. "Gunther Cunningham has been great, but the Chiefs' defense has just been bad. I would want to get myself a young, energetic coach who can handle the grind and is excited about the grind and brings a defensive philosophy to my football team."

Either way, it would appear that Saunders' run as Chiefs offensive coordinator is over. If the team did decide to take a pass on him as head coach or go with someone more defensive-minded, it seems likely that Saunders would pursue his options elsewhere.

Saunders was head coach for the San Diego Chargers from 1986 through 1988, going 17-22. The situation was, by most accounts, a difficult one. The aging Chargers had drafted and traded poorly for years, leaving a mess for Saunders.

Since then, he polished his resume as one of the NFL's most creative offensive minds. He coached wide receivers with the Chiefs and Rams and helped St. Louis win the world championship after the 1999 season.

The Chiefs have been one of the league's highest-scoring teams since he returned as offensive coordinator in 2001.

He interviewed with the Raiders and the University of Nebraska two years ago and probably could have had either job. He declined, perhaps with the idea he would someday

chefsos 12-30-2005 10:54 PM

Quote:

He interviewed with the Raiders and the University of Nebraska two years ago and probably could have had either job. He declined, perhaps with the idea he would someday
....??? Shit. I'm not a premium member.

siberian khatru 12-30-2005 10:55 PM

Quote:

The aging Chargers had drafted and traded poorly for years, leaving a mess for Saunders.
And he wants to coach the Chiefs ... why? :hmmm:

;)

nychief 12-30-2005 11:05 PM

He interviewed with the Raiders and the University of Nebraska two years ago and probably could have had either job. He declined, perhaps with the idea he would someday take over for Vermiel.

TRR 12-30-2005 11:15 PM

Al Saunders needs to be the next KC Head Coach. What he's done with KC's offense is nothing short of amazing. I believe Peterson at least owes Saunders 2-3 years to see what he brings to the table. If not, KC might be coaching against him as Al had serious interest in the Oakland job last time around.

Logical 12-30-2005 11:19 PM

Quote:

.. The situation is by most accounts, a difficult one. The aging Chiefs have drafted and traded poorly for years, leaving a mess for Saunders.
This could just as easily been written.

Frankie 12-30-2005 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRR
Al Saunders needs to be the next KC Head Coach. What he's done with KC's offense is nothing short of amazing. I believe Peterson at least owes Saunders 2-3 years to see what he brings to the table. If not, KC might be coaching against him as Al had serious interest in the Oakland job last time around.

I totally agree. Especially about what I highlighted in your post.

FloridaMan88 12-30-2005 11:44 PM

Al Saunders and my boy Mike Martz as offensive coordinator/assistant head coach.

And Jim Haslett (assuming he isn't back in New Orleans and doesn't get a head coaching job) as defensive coordinator

I'd take that

Mecca 12-31-2005 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRR

Of course the reason he didn't take that job is being the Chiefs OC pays more than being the Raiders head coach.

chefsos 12-31-2005 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca
Of course the reason he didn't take that job is being the Chiefs OC pays more than being the Raiders head coach.

Ha. I keep envisioning Norv as Roscoe, and Davis as Boss Hogg. All he needs is the hat.

cdcox 12-31-2005 12:53 AM

Compared to all the rumors flying around TV and the internet, this article was snoozeville. And to think it is still 4 hrs from hitting the streets.

chefsos 12-31-2005 03:50 AM

Quote:

He interviewed with the Raiders and the University of Nebraska two years ago and probably could have had either job. He declined, perhaps with the idea he would someday replace Vermeil.
Last two words complete the sentence in the thread starter that vexed me so.

And, of somewhat more than mild interest: Hide your nachos! He's coming!

Quote:

■ PRIEST IS BACK: Pro Bowl running back Priest Holmes is expected to be at Sunday’s game, a Chiefs official said Friday. Holmes went on injured reserve in November because of a neck injury. He’s back in Kansas City this week and will have tests within two months to determine whether he’ll return to football.
No link, I don't feel like it. It's in the Star. Look it up, ya lazy bastage.

JohnnyV13 12-31-2005 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlad Logicslav
The situation is by most accounts, a difficult one. The aging Chiefs have drafted and traded poorly for years, leaving a mess for Saunders

This could just as easily been written.

Hate to tell ya Vlad, the Chiefs have drafted WELL the last 3 years. Take a look at the evidence, we have had 1 star quality starter the last 3 drafts:

1. Larry Johnson-A stud, could be best back in the NFL
2. Kawicka Mitchell-good MLB, really developed this season
5. Jordan Black-clearly not a LT, but a credible starter at RT.

4. Jared Allen-11 sacks and 7 forced fumbles. This guy is legit.
4. Samie Parker-definitely a solid 2. I think EVERYONE will be very happy we have him in 06. Could be a Steve Smith kind of player.
3. Keyaron Fox-tore up camp in 05, and could start in 06 if we cut Bell

1. Derrick Johnson-had solid rookie season, likely to become a star.
3. Dustin Colquitt-yeah his average sucks, but he leads the NFL pinning the other team inside the 20.

Thats 8 credible NFL starters in 3 seasons. By any measure that's good drafting. Forget about whining about the Siavii and Kris Wilson "bust" labels, EVERY team has busts in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Hitting on Jared Allen made up for those missed picks in 04.

Messier 12-31-2005 11:19 AM

Good post Johnny, couldn't have said it better myself. People (Vlad) on this board have some idea the Chiefs are bad at drafting, they aren't.

Mr. Laz 12-31-2005 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyV13
Hate to tell ya Vlad, the Chiefs have drafted WELL the last 3 years. Take a look at the evidence, we have had 1 star quality starter the last 3 drafts:

Thats 8 credible NFL starters in 3 seasons. By any measure that's good drafting. Forget about whining about the Siavii and Kris Wilson "bust" labels, EVERY team has busts in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Hitting on Jared Allen made up for those missed picks in 04.

all that you listed still doesn't not equal "well" ... maybe passable

besides your making some big assumptions

1. Larry Johnson-A stud, could be best back in the NFL - agreed

2. Kawicka Mitchell-good MLB, really developed this season - Good? he misses 3 plays for every one he makes. improved? yes. Good? not yet.

5. Jordan Black-clearly not a LT, but a credible starter at RT. got burned at LT, got burned at RT. we don't know what he is yet.

4. Jared Allen-11 sacks and 7 forced fumbles. This guy is legit. - agreed

4. Samie Parker-definitely a solid 2. I think EVERYONE will be very happy we have him in 06. Could be a Steve Smith kind of player. - He's not a #2 receiver yet. He's just starting to be an acceptable starter. 35 catches for 517 yrds is hardly a lock. Maybe, hopefully ... not yet

3. Keyaron Fox-tore up camp in 05, and could start in 06 if we cut Bell
- i've yet to see Fox tear up anything but his knee.

1. Derrick Johnson-had solid rookie season, likely to become a star. - agreed.

3. Dustin Colquitt-yeah his average sucks, but he leads the NFL pinning the other team inside the 20. - he's a kicker