ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFT: LASIK question and input (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=174458)

mlyonsd 11-13-2007 05:45 PM

NFT: LASIK question and input

I'm looking into having LASIK surgery and am interested in experiences CP members have had.

My specific situation is I'm at the age where I finally had to purchase a pair of bifocals. I've worn glasses or contacts most of my life but find bifocals unacceptable.

I've looked into it and the doctor has suggested doing LASIK, and offsetting my eyes at 20/20 and 20/40. This would not only take care of needing glasses for seeing far, but it would also help with the intermediate range of, say, my computer monitor. My doctor has had this done to himself, and he says he only need reading glasses if he's reading a book for a long period of time.

I'm looking for input from anyone that has had LASIK, not just my situation.

Thanks in advance.

plbrdude 11-13-2007 05:51 PM

not had it myself. my brother in law had it done a couple yr ago and said he wished he'd done it years ago. said he sees better now than with glasses.

ISUJeff 11-13-2007 05:57 PM

Had it done 2 years ago (27 now) and its one of the best things I ever had done. See better than with contacts and haven't had any side effects. No knowledge of the bifocal impact, but for my situation its been great.

Uncle_Ted 11-13-2007 06:10 PM

"Your eyes, are important. So trust them to Silverstein, Eye Center."

-- Herm

Sure-Oz 11-13-2007 06:57 PM

I had mine done at Silverstein and it's been a year and half, love it!

FRCDFED 11-13-2007 07:18 PM

I've been considering it myself for some time now but have been kinda hesitant (we only get one set of eyes). But.....

I've talked to many people who have had it done. All of them loved the results; however, there was one person that believes he went from being nearsighted to farsighted.

Some of that may have been his genetics and he may have been destined to go that route anyway. Plus he is getting older (in his late 40's) and it could have just been nature taking its course.

Anyway, everyone has given positive feedback with the exception of the one person.

mlyonsd 11-13-2007 08:01 PM

Thanks to all for the input.

And bump for the night crew which probably require reading glasses. :)

JBucc 11-13-2007 08:02 PM

My mom had it done. Couldn't be happier.
http://www.worth1000.com/entries/12500/12538_w.jpg

Skip Towne 11-13-2007 08:11 PM

Isn't there a new procedure where they don't have to cut?

movinbones 11-13-2007 10:12 PM

February will be my 3 year mark for Lasik and I couldn't be happier. Its so nice to hit a golf ball and see it land. I went from such a bad astigmatism in both eyes that I could barely tell you which direction the big E at the top of the chart was facing.
At my last exam I was 20/16 in my right eye and 20/12 in the left.
Here's a tip. Use the Systane Lubricating Drops daily after surgery and vision will sharpen.

dtebbe 11-13-2007 10:27 PM

If you do that offset deal, just be prepard for a period of adjustment. My old boss had it done that way, and it took his brain about 3 months to get used to that concept. Frequent headaches and dizziness.

Once he got thru the adjustment period he loved it.

My wife and her brother have both had it done, and both of them were severely astigmatic (we're talking coke bottle glasses). My wife is 20/20 in one eye and 20/30 in the really bad one. She had it done about 6 years ago. Her brother is 20/20 in both eyes, which even his doc could not believe.

DT

Dave Lane 11-13-2007 11:56 PM

Go 20/20 and 20/25 Skip the 20/40 option its too much and gives you a depth perception issue. Just get reading glasses when you read and poof great long distance vision I'm 20/15 and 20/25 with a slight under correction on my left eye. Works well but the reading glasses will be needed anyway at 50 or so.

Dave

Rain Man 11-14-2007 12:06 AM

I wear glasses because my face needs the decoration and because glasses will protect my eyes when there's a nuclear holocaust.*

* Note: I grew up during the Cold War.

DenverChief 11-14-2007 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne
Isn't there a new procedure where they don't have to cut?

this is what I wanna know that just creeps me out to think about cutting the eye

Abba-Dabba 11-14-2007 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverChief
this is what I wanna know that just creeps me out to think about cutting the eye

What skip is refering is called wavefront. He is wrong BTW. They still cut the eye for a flap, they just don't cut it using a blade. All laser, easier healing.