ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports ****The Official 2013-2014 Wichita State Repository thread**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=278112)

Mr. Arrowhead 03-24-2014 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceej (Post 10513139)
Gotta admit -- Marshall has recruited some pretty solid ball players from the JUCo ranks. Maybe this kid is another diamond in the rough.

far as I can tell, he wont be a very good offensive player, but he is more of a rim protector. His Juco numbers werent all that great, but he is a project so who knows.

Ceej 03-24-2014 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Arrowhead (Post 10513153)
far as I can tell, he wont be a very good offensive player, but he is more of a rim protector. His Juco numbers werent all that great, but he is a project so who knows.

That's fine. They'll have post players who can score the ball. A kid of that size should be able to rebound and block shots. Especially in a league like the MVC.

Mr. Arrowhead 03-24-2014 10:53 AM

Honestly we will be alot deeper next year, we really only went 7 or 8 deep. Next year we should have a back up PG instead of using Baker as we got Rian Holland who redshirted and then incoming Freshman Corey Henderson who is a true PG. I do think Carter will have a pretty good year next year as well, him and Carl Hall numbers were pretty similar to their Junior year. I can honesty see us going 9 or 10 deep next season which Marshall prefers.

Mr. Arrowhead 03-24-2014 10:54 AM

Also looks like Chris Jans took the Head Coaching job at Bowling Green

Mr. Arrowhead 03-24-2014 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceej (Post 10513154)
That's fine. They'll have post players who can score the ball. A kid of that size should be able to rebound and block shots. Especially in a league like the MVC.

O yeah agreed those guys are also a plus, they just affect the game in a different way

journeyscarab 03-24-2014 11:50 AM

Can't add much more to the discussion. We have definitely crossed over to the fast lane and Marshall is building a program that will continue to perform at the elite level. We're not going anywhere any time soon.

Here is a quote from Marshalls coaches show last week.

I cut out a few items but here is the money quote: "I think that we have at Wichita State the last couple of seasons left the right lane and gone into the fast lane. And there are people that don't appreciate us being in the fast lane. 'You have left YOUR lane'. And unfortunately women, minorities, people like that in our society have faced that same stigma and that sterotype of "Stay in YOUR lane - this is the Good Ol' Boy Network" and that is not right.

And we have gone into this fast lane and there are people who resent that. 'Hold up - you're not supposed to be doing this. You stay in your right lane and accept that.' And we've just simply said 'no,we don't accept that'. We are going to be in the left lane, you can get up on our bumper, you can honk your horn and you can try and run us over but we are now going to run in this lane." - Coach Marshall

GO SHOX!

Prison Bitch 03-24-2014 12:17 PM

WSU was awesome this year, they were incredibly fun to watch the 3-4 times I caught them. They were clearly better than my team this year and that game yesterday was 10,000x better than the pig slop before it.

GoChargers 03-24-2014 01:03 PM

WSU fans should hang their heads high, there was no shame in losing that one. Marshall will keep that program at the top as long as he stays, so the haters might as well start getting used to it.

Really, the reason programs like WSU get hated on is irrational to the core - the idea of "major" vs. "mid-major" is arbitrary and pointless. There are plenty of great "mid-major" programs and plenty of "major" programs that are simply wasting a spot in the P5. Yet for some reason the former gets all the criticism while the latter doesn't get any at all.

Andoverer 03-24-2014 01:21 PM

You couldn't have asked for more from this team. They were a pleasure to watch and made all Shocker fans proud. I hope Gregg Marshall relishes this role he's now found himself in and won't decide to bolt for some "greener pastures" when I believe he now has everything in place he needs to be an annual contender in the Big Dance. He has a great fan base, facilities, community support, reputation and national recognition. In other words, he's got the ball rolling very well. Why on earth would he want to start over from scratch with some disoriented new team?

Andoverer 03-25-2014 05:42 AM

Congratulations Coach Marshall but at the same time.....uh oh.

Gregg Marshall named Basketball Writer's national coach of the year!

http://www.kansas.com/2014/03/24/336...me-gregg.html#

Buehler445 03-25-2014 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andoverer (Post 10514811)
Congratulations Coach Marshall but at the same time.....uh oh.

Gregg Marshall named Basketball Writer's national coach of the year!

http://www.kansas.com/2014/03/24/336...me-gregg.html#

If he wasn't considered for almost every coach of the year award out there, then the award is stupid.

He's going to get a ****ton of notoriety and awards on account of this season. And rightfully so.

L.A. Chieffan 03-25-2014 10:00 AM

Very tough draw. Nice season.

Mr. Arrowhead 04-25-2014 09:38 AM

Derail Green left the program, but we got a commitment for Tevin Glass this morning, who is a juco PF. Glass was ranked 123rd out of HS.

Tevin Glass ‏@Topnotch_Tglass 4m
Just officially signed with Wichita st. Its been a roller coaster I like to thank God, my family, my friends and everyone who supports me!

journeyscarab 04-25-2014 09:41 AM

Cool!

saphojunkie 12-01-2014 04:20 PM

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...state-shockers

Conner Frankamp leaving Kansas
Updated: December 1, 2014, 4:33 PM ET
By Jeff Goodman and Myron Medcalf | ESPN.com

Kansas transfer Conner Frankamp is headed to Wichita State.

Frankamp, who confirmed to ESPN.com that he's transferring, said he picked the Shockers because he felt a kinship with Wichita State players and coaches.

"I really connected well with the coaching staff and I feel I could fit well in their system," he told ESPN.com on Monday. "And of course, it's tough to say no to home."

Frankamp, who is a Wichita native, left the Jayhawks just prior to the start of his sophomore season in search of an expanded role. He averaged 2.5 points in 8.3 minutes per game as a freshman, but he played a significant role in the NCAA tournament.

However, the 6-foot Frankamp was stuck behind Frank Mason III and freshman Devonte Graham at the point this season - and there was also a logjam on the wing with Wayne Selden Jr., Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk, Brannen Greene and Kelly Oubre Jr.

Frankamp will be eligible to play after the first semester next season for the Shockers - who may also have the backcourt of Fred VanVleet and Ron Baker back in the fold. Both VanVleet and Baker are juniors, although there is a chance that Baker could leave early for the NBA Draft.