ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs [KC taking a QB #1] "I say absolutely no chance of that happening." -Mel Kiper (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269805)

manjy90 02-07-2013 06:39 PM

[KC taking a QB #1] "I say absolutely no chance of that happening." -Mel Kiper

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:8925376

Says it around 3:45

I prefer Mayock over at NFL for my mock drafts, but Kiper is smart enough and cares enough about his reputation to not make a statement like that unless he absolutely believes in it.

Pasta Little Brioni 02-07-2013 06:40 PM

Nah, he's a pretty big dumbass.

BlackHelicopters 02-07-2013 06:40 PM

Mel Kiper- journalist.

007 02-07-2013 06:40 PM

**** you Mel. Worthless POS

Brock 02-07-2013 06:41 PM

He's probably right.

Pasta Little Brioni 02-07-2013 06:41 PM

They should fire this hack.

Chief_For_Life58 02-07-2013 06:42 PM

wtf

BigMeatballDave 02-07-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manjy90 (Post 9385839)

I prefer Mayock over at NFL for my mock drafts, but Kiper is smart enough and cares enough about his reputation to not make a statement like that unless he absolutely believes in it.

You're an idiot if you think Kiper is smart.

Rain Man 02-07-2013 06:42 PM

That would be the equivalent a pilot going through his pre-flight check while ignoring the fact that one of the wings is missing.

Chiefs Pantalones 02-07-2013 06:42 PM

"JaMarcus Russell will turn the Raiders franchise around."

Fritz88 02-07-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

How was his record with GB and Philly?

Bump 02-07-2013 06:43 PM

So basically none of the agents of any of the QB's have yet to pay Mel Kiper to hype them and the OT and DT's agent have.

Pasta Little Brioni 02-07-2013 06:45 PM

This is seriously one of the dumbest things I've heard a self declared "expert" ever say.

We suffered through some of the worst QB play in the history of the league and we aren't even going to entertain taking a QB...Dumbsumbitch

hometeam 02-07-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

So.. you believe Kiper? After all, his hit rate on draft picks is as piss poor as any other media member, or you and me.

And, for about the 40th time this off season. **** Mel Kiper.

Hootie 02-07-2013 06:47 PM

Mel Kiper also had Jimmy Clausen at #5 and maybe even as high as his #1 prospect on the big board the Eric Berry year (from what I recall)

Pasta Little Brioni 02-07-2013 06:49 PM

I want to see a Kiper/SNR derape...I mean debate.

Three7s 02-07-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Yeah, and I believe that Kiper is a dumbass and I wouldn't say it unless I absolutely believed it.

Hootie 02-07-2013 06:49 PM

Yep.

Jimmy Clausen was #4 on his big board in front of #5 Sam Bradford.

Kiper is a dipshit. What he says means NOTHING.

stonedstooge 02-07-2013 06:50 PM

He had RGIII going to Cleveland at 4 this time last year

BigMeatballDave 02-07-2013 06:52 PM

How the **** does Kiper still work on TV?

No QB taken in the 1st?

I hope he ****ing dies in his sleep tonight.

The Franchise 02-07-2013 06:52 PM

Mayock has Geno going #8 to the Bills. Why the **** wouldn't the Chiefs take him at #1 then........****ing reeruns.

saphojunkie 02-07-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 9385854)
"JaMarcus Russell will turn the Raiders franchise around."

Well, in his defense Jamarcus Russell had every physical tool...

I can't even keep a straight face. ROFL

The Franchise 02-07-2013 06:54 PM

You know what.....I hate Andrew Luck now. Not only because we didn't get to draft him....but because of what he's done to the drafting a QB with the first overall debate.

**** you, Andrew Luck. **** you.

Hootie 02-07-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9385884)
You know what.....I hate Andrew Luck now. Not only because we didn't get to draft him....but because of what he's done to the drafting a QB with the first overall debate.

**** you, Andrew Luck. **** you.

you guys get awful angry about pre-combine commentary

who cares?

let the combine happen and then start worrying

RealSNR 02-07-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9385886)
you guys get awful angry about pre-combine commentary

who cares?

let the combine happen and then start worrying

Why do some people get upset over shit on MSNBC and FOX News?

It's bullshit. Completely fabricated bullshit. That's why.

ModSocks 02-07-2013 06:57 PM

It that very same interview, Kiper says he believes no QB's are going in the 1st round unless a team trades up from the 2nd for one.

Can we stop giving a shit about this guy's opinion now?

hometeam 02-07-2013 07:00 PM

http://www.thedrunkgoat.com/mel-kipe...-****in-idiot/

(if your reading this with the filter on, you know what to do)

Quote:

“JaMarcus Russell is going to immediately energize that fanbase, that football team — on the practice field, in that locker room. Three years from now you could be looking at a guy that’s certainly one of the elite top five quarterbacks in this league. …You’re talking about a 2-3 year period once he’s under center. Look out because the skill level that he has is certainly John Elway-like.”
– ESPN’s Mel Kiper
I really don’t need to say a whole lot more. But I will. I am sick of the trust people put into Mel Kiper Jr.’s mock drafts on ESPN. I hear we may get an Offensive Tackle from Texas A&M with the number one overall pick. While that might be true, I better hear it from somebody better than Kiper.
Seriously, think about this, this guy does one job, all ****ing year, he tries to figure out who will draft who. It sounds hard, and all people really care about is the firs half of his mock draft, if that much. He makes promises to fan bases that are just wrong, and he does all of this with confidence as if he is the best, but time and time again, he is wrong. He tore Russell Wilson apart saying he was not good enough to be an NFL caliber quarterback, boy was he wrong, Wilson is quite the candidate for rookie of the year.
Just a few reminders of some reeruned shit he has done, here are a few more QBs be guaranteed to be franchise QBs in the league: Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, David
Carr, Joey Harrington, Andre Ware and Jeff George. He said Akili Smith was way better than Donovan McNabb and Daunte Culpepper!
All this article is meant to convey is that we Chiefs fans don’t need to be worried or even believe what Mel Kiper says, he could be right as he has been before (His genius guessed Andrew Luck to go First Overall!!) But I just wouldn’t be so sure yet, everything will change many times around combine time.

Jerm 02-07-2013 07:02 PM

Ahhh ole Mel...yes Mr. Nick Fairley or Da'Quan Bowers to the Panthers at #1...

He's a parody now...

Hootie 02-07-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9385890)
Why do some people get upset over shit on MSNBC and FOX News?

It's bullshit. Completely fabricated bullshit. That's why.

I am about as big of a Chiefs fan as they come...you probably are too.

I just can't get mad about what Mel Kiper and other draft "experts" say 3 months before the freaking draft and before the combine.

Things drastically change every single year from now until the middle of March...and then from the middle of March until draft night eve (when "experts" start finally figuring shit out)

Chiefs Pantalones 02-07-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9385892)
It that very same interview, Kiper says he believes no QB's are going in the 1st round unless a team trades up from the 2nd for one.

Can we stop giving a shit about this guy's opinion now?

WTF?! There's gonna be like 4-6 taken in the first round alone. Probably 4 in the top 15.

Hootie 02-07-2013 07:08 PM

I'm not a scout, college football generally bores me (every big game is a letdown), and I don't make my own draft board like Mecca...but a few years ago when Cam Newton was a "mid round prospect" I was like, "uhm, that dude is going #1 overall."

eventually everyone caught on...I'm not saying I'm a genious, far from it...it's just that...

WE ALL KNOW 3-5 QB'S ARE GOING IN THE TOP 15. WHO CARES ABOUT WHAT MEL KIPER IS SPOUTING OFF ABOUT IN FEBRUARY?

Means NOTHING.

Dayze 02-07-2013 07:08 PM

We should bookmark his dumbass mocks, for the post draft hilarity

Hootie 02-07-2013 07:10 PM

the Internet has pretty much made him 100% irrelevant.

There are probably about 2 or 3 good "mock drafters"...everyone else is about at Kiper level.

Don't know shit until teams start leaking information.

Hootie 02-07-2013 07:11 PM

everyone else just cherry picks off of everyone else and wa la!!! Mock draft.

you lock Mecca or SNR or myself in a room with nothing but film, combine results, etc...and our 7 round mock would be HORRIBLE.

warpaint* 02-07-2013 07:13 PM

There is a long way to go. I won't start to worry until the combine and most of these top QBs pro days come and go. I think they're going to find a QB they like and probably end up taking him high. I wouldn't say I'm 100% certain but occams razor tells me 2-14 teams w/ Arena League QBs usually end up drafting new ones to kick off regimes and rebuilds. It would be quite an anomaly for there to be no 1r grade QBs. And by high I don't necessarily mean first overall although that is what I prefer. Perhaps they take someone else 1st then trade back into 1r for the guy they like bc they know he'll still be there. What I cannot fathom is that they do not address the situation at all w/ a 1r grade solution/selection. That would be colossally stupid.

Hootie 02-07-2013 07:15 PM

the only thing that worries me is Andy likes to find QB's in the 2nd or 3rd round...or so his trend has went for some time.

Now he always had a guy while he was developing these guys (McNabb, Vick with Foles)...

but I really hope we don't go the 'draft BPA #1' and then a QB #2.

Just take ****ing Geno. It's really simple. If he busts I forgive them.

keg in kc 02-07-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 9385897)
“JaMarcus Russell is going to immediately energize that fanbase, that football team — on the practice field, in that locker room. Three years from now you could be looking at a guy that’s certainly one of the elite top five quarterbacks in this league. …You’re talking about a 2-3 year period once he’s under center. Look out because the skill level that he has is certainly John Elway-like.”
– ESPN’s Mel Kiper

You can find the clip on youtube of his comments during the draft broadcast about how risky a pick Cam Newton was.

He's still in the old mindset that drafting a QB who's a bust will cripple a franchse for a decade.

He's also probably not wrong about the Chiefs not taking one. We all want one, but history says they won't do it.

warpaint* 02-07-2013 07:17 PM

Meh he took McNabb what 2nd overall? Really I look at what you said as a + bc even after he finds a guy he doesn't ignore the position moving forward.

keg in kc 02-07-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9385929)
the only thing that worries me is Andy likes to find QB's in the 2nd or 3rd round...or so his trend has went for some time.

Now he always had a guy while he was developing these guys (McNabb, Vick with Foles)...

but I really hope we don't go the 'draft BPA #1' and then a QB #2.

Just take ****ing Geno. It's really simple. If he busts I forgive them.

It is simple, they'll trade for Smith and then get somebody else in the 2nd or later. Be prepared for that. It's the "safe" move. If you can call leaving your franchise in the hands of castoffs, has-been's and never were's for 30 years "safe" in any way.

'Hamas' Jenkins 02-07-2013 07:19 PM

I'll see him at Mike Williams' HOF induction.

58kcfan89 02-07-2013 07:20 PM

I believe it was Clausen's draft when Kiper was having one of his bitch fits with McShay when Kiper said something along the lines of "If, in 3 years, Bradford has a better career than Clausen, I will quit my job". I was hoping someone would hold him to that.

Part of me wants Geno to suck at his pro day & totally whiff on the combine interviews so these morons will look even dumber after we take him at #1 despite their claims to the contrary. The other/larger part of me wants him to totally destroy everything in his path so our fanbase can be united around #12.

warpaint* 02-07-2013 07:21 PM

This regime has no history here. Reid's history says he is willing to draft a QB high. And that was when 2nd overall QBs were still getting overpaid out of the gate.

Hootie 02-07-2013 07:31 PM

what was McNabb's 40 time out of Syracuse? 4.6ish? 4.5?

I can't wait to see Geno run...McNabb was a scrambler early on who certainly developed into a pocket passer...I remember having him in fantasy his 2nd year and he used to pwn for me in rushing yards...

Geno is probably a more advanced passer than McNabb at this stage of his career.

OrtonsPiercedTaint 02-07-2013 07:32 PM

Mock drafts are the sports section's horoscopes.

Chris Meck 02-07-2013 07:34 PM

I'm telling you guys, on draft day, Kiper's gonna look like Karl Rove on election night. He's gonna shit himself on national TV.

It's gonna be a QB, and it's probably gonna be Geno.

prhom 02-07-2013 07:35 PM

To be fair, he is probably playing the odds on this. We just don't spend draft picks on QBs. Hopefully new mgmt will buck that trend, but it's hard to say at this point.

Was the rumor about Reid saying he could "fix" Kevin Kolb ever substantiated? That kind of attitude worries me if it's true. How many QBs were ever "fixed" after sucking for so long?

Sorter 02-07-2013 07:35 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZubYpplmzVk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Go to 1:05.

**** off Mel Kiper.

Sorter 02-07-2013 07:37 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_SN0IYOkwJ8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Way to go Mel! Only Jon Baldwin and Mallett are the only guys listed who haven't contributed and aren't expected to get better (Mallett might, but who gives a ****). Nice work you goofy haired bastard.

R8RFAN 02-07-2013 07:38 PM

"JaMarcus Russell is going to immediately energize that fanbase, that football team -- on the practice field, in that locker room," ESPN's Mel Kiper said at the time. "Three years from now you could be looking at a guy that's certainly one of the elite top five quarterbacks in this league. ...You're talking about a 2-3 year period once he's under center. Look out because the skill level that he has is certainly John Elway-like."- Kiper

R8RFAN 02-07-2013 07:39 PM

I think you will get a QB but I don't think it will be with the first pick

Sorter 02-07-2013 07:41 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8y09JG1lTxg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LMAO

philfree 02-07-2013 07:43 PM

So the deal is done then.:clap:

crossbow 02-07-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9385930)
You can find the clip on youtube of his comments during the draft broadcast about how risky a pick Cam Newton was.

He's still in the old mindset that drafting a QB who's a bust will cripple a franchse for a decade.

He's also probably not wrong about the Chiefs not taking one. We all want one, but history says they won't do it.

Winning teams don't think like that anymore. They take a QB in round one even if it means you take him a few spots too early. They know that if you don't, then you end up with nothing.

Sorter 02-07-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9385934)
I'll see him at Mike Williams' HOF induction.

LMAO

kc79 02-07-2013 07:50 PM

Did you hear Steve Young in that piece. "QB's run this league, that's why they go first". I'll trust Dorsey and Reid to find us a QB

listopencil 02-07-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9385842)
Nah, he's a pretty big dumbass.

^

Cornstock 02-07-2013 07:55 PM

The name "Star" screams bust.

Hootie 02-07-2013 07:56 PM

so far, we as fans, have gotten everything we wanted. I think Clark listened. I think we're getting a QB #1.

MMXcalibur 02-07-2013 07:58 PM

Yeah, Mel Kiper can suck the choco penii.

Tombstone RJ 02-07-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9385966)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8y09JG1lTxg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LMAO

I'm not a big Kiper fan either but why are you laughing at this clip? He pretty much nailed it. He ever predicted the Broncos taking Osweiler.

BradBigglestein 02-07-2013 08:12 PM

Obviously Mel Kiper doesn't know Andy Reid. With Reid, anything is possible on draft day. He's very unpredictable. Sometimes that could be exciting as an Eagles fan, but other times I dreaded the drafts where a pick looked so obvious, it was almost too obvious for Reid to make.

Regardless, I don't see why Kiper can say that. If Reid likes Smith, he will get his man.

Silock 02-07-2013 08:13 PM

So you're saying there's a chance? /Lloyd

R8RFAN 02-07-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradBigglestein (Post 9386011)
Obviously Mel Kiper doesn't know Andy Reid. With Reid, anything is possible on draft day. He's very unpredictable. Sometimes that could be exciting as an Eagles fan, but other times I dreaded the drafts where a pick looked so obvious, it was almost too obvious for Reid to make.

Regardless, I don't see why Kiper can say that. If Reid likes Smith, he will get his man.

N00b, noone here knows Andy Reid

Andy Reid may have a totally different power structure in Kc THAN IN Philly, he could be a better coach than ever...

No one knows right now..

Wumbology 02-07-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

False

Sorter 02-07-2013 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 9386007)
I'm not a big Kiper fan either but why are you laughing at this clip? He pretty much nailed it. He ever predicted the Broncos taking Osweiler.

The three shit stains taken before Wilson.

Also, GJ Kinne? LMAO

Tombstone RJ 02-07-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9386035)
The three shit stains taken before Wilson.

Also, GJ Kinne? LMAO

I don't remember everything about the draft but he had Osweiler and Foles being drafted before Wilson I think. Isn't that exactly what happened or did Wilson get drafted before Foles?

RealSNR 02-07-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 9386056)
I don't remember everything about the draft but he had Osweiler and Foles being drafted before Wilson I think. Isn't that exactly what happened or did Wilson get drafted before Foles?

Wilson went before Foles.

Sorter 02-07-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 9386056)

Os, then Wilson, then Foles.

The point was that was how he had them ranked, not how he thought they'd come off the board.

RyFo18 02-07-2013 08:45 PM

The more we move along in this process, the more I become convinced that KC doesn't take a QB at #1.

O.city 02-07-2013 08:46 PM

Because of what Kiper and Mayock are saying?

Chiefs Pantalones 02-07-2013 09:01 PM

@dpbrugler: Usually the Combine only designates 2 "throwing QBs"...this year that is J. Vandenberg and C. Cameron...T. Bray volunteered and was added

DaneMcCloud 02-07-2013 09:06 PM

I think we're going to see a lot of disappointed Chiefsplanet members because my gut tells me that the Chiefs will trade out of the first spot.

'Hamas' Jenkins 02-07-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9386139)
I think we're going to see a lot of disappointed Chiefsplanet members because my gut tells me that the Chiefs will trade out of the first spot.

Who trades up for it? And for whom?

DaneMcCloud 02-07-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9386143)
Who trades up for it? And for whom?

I don't know. It's just a weird feeling, based on all of Hunt, Reid and Dorsey's responses coupled with the history of the franchise.

I hope I'm wrong.

O.city 02-07-2013 09:21 PM

When dealing with the Chiefs, I generally think of "what could be the absolute best thing they could to", then expect them to do the opposite.

However, I just don't see us trading down. I'm sure they would like to go down a bit, get more picks and still get their guy, but unless it's Joeckel I don't see what teams would trade up for. Even with him, I don't really see it.

I think the more it goes on, it seems more likely to me we will draft a QB at 1. Now there are questions about Joeckel even being the best tackle in the draft, if we re up Albert, there is no LT at 1. I don't see us taking a pass rusher there, I don't see us taking Star, he's an even bigger reach than a QB.

DaneMcCloud 02-07-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9386168)
When dealing with the Chiefs, I generally think of "what could be the absolute best thing they could to", then expect them to do the opposite.

However, I just don't see us trading down. I'm sure they would like to go down a bit, get more picks and still get their guy, but unless it's Joeckel I don't see what teams would trade up for. Even with him, I don't really see it.

I think the more it goes on, it seems more likely to me we will draft a QB at 1. Now there are questions about Joeckel even being the best tackle in the draft, if we re up Albert, there is no LT at 1. I don't see us taking a pass rusher there, I don't see us taking Star, he's an even bigger reach than a QB.

I could *see* them trading down, then taking Milliner or Moore or Star, then taking Manuel at the top of the second.

It's just difficult for me to believe they'll actually take a QB because, well, it's the Chiefs.

bowener 02-07-2013 09:25 PM

And just like that Kiper got more people to respond to his bullshit, watch him online/Tv, and probably read his next mock to blast it. Brilliant troll is brilliant $$

AussieChiefsFan 02-07-2013 09:26 PM

Mel Kiper should be a censored name.

DaneMcCloud 02-07-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 9386180)
And just like that Kiper got more people to respond to his bullshit, watch him online/Tv, and probably read his next mock to blast it. Brilliant troll is brilliant $$

Except that it's ESPN "Insider", which means you have to pay for a subscription to read it.

Personally, I think Mel believes what he says, whether or not it's for his own profit or gain.

O.city 02-07-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9386178)
I could *see* them trading down, then taking Milliner or Moore or Star, then taking Manuel at the top of the second.

It's just difficult for me to believe they'll actually take a QB because, well, it's the Chiefs.

Yeah, could "see" them doing that. Even with that though, it seems you would be "reaching" for a QB as I don't see Manuel as that high of a guy at this point, but you know how the QB goes.

I just have a hard time figuring a guy is "worth" the 4 or 8 pick, but not at 1.