ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games Torchlight 2 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=263460)

Bump 09-10-2012 10:21 AM

Torchlight 2

Figured we better get a current thread about this game.

It's all set to release on September 20. Less than 2 weeks away. I already have it purchased and ready to go on steam. Oh, did I mention it's only $20? I'm sure they could "double it" but they must want people to enjoy their game that they made.

For those who don't know, Torchlight 2 is created by Runic games and those guys co-founded Blizzard North, back when Blizzard made great games.

Torchlight 2 is going to be what Diablo 3 should have been. Just a different theme and the graphics aren't going to be as good, but that's fine! It will literally shit on Diablo 3 in every other way.

This game is going to be awesome!

Once everyone gets the game we can list our game names here.

Who's excited?

Imon Yourside 09-10-2012 01:14 PM

I am excited but have to say Borderlands 2 will take precedence over it because they announced their release date a long time ago and i've been hyped up for it. Whereas Torchlight 2 could have been released any other time but 2 days within the release of B2? I'll play it after.

Gravedigger 09-10-2012 01:19 PM

I hear it's going to have an in game auction house, constant bugs, and the same four acts to play through four separate times per character.

Bump 09-10-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 8898389)
I am excited but have to say Borderlands 2 will take precedence over it because they announced their release date a long time ago and i've been hyped up for it. Whereas Torchlight 2 could have been released any other time but 2 days within the release of B2? I'll play it after.

ya, I actually threw $5 for B2, I have the first one but I never got far into it. I'm going with TL2 for now. I think that's going to be my game for a long time, that and GW2. I'm sort of transitioning away from the XBOX and back into the world of PC gaming. I'll use that $5 towards BLOPS2

Imon Yourside 09-11-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 8898724)
ya, I actually threw $5 for B2, I have the first one but I never got far into it. I'm going with TL2 for now. I think that's going to be my game for a long time, that and GW2. I'm sort of transitioning away from the XBOX and back into the world of PC gaming. I'll use that $5 towards BLOPS2

I'm not into military shooters, but will eventually play TL2 as i've been waiting for it for a long time. BL2 and TL2 are probably my two favorite franchises going since D3 blows. IT really sucks they are coming out within 2 fuggin days of each other.

Imon Yourside 09-17-2012 08:28 PM

<iframe width="768" height="432" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TTbLYmBUfH0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Imon Yourside 09-17-2012 09:04 PM

Torchlight II Vs. Diablo III: The Comparison We Had To Make

http://kotaku.com/5943951/torchlight...we-had-to-make

suds79 09-18-2012 10:40 AM

10/10 on this review.

http://thecontrolleronline.com/2012/...ight-2-review/

Honestly I'm not the least bit surprised. TL1 was one of the best games I've ever played and I knew the boys at Runic would deliver.

I'm pumped.

Imon Yourside 09-19-2012 11:05 PM

Should be available any moment, steam still shows it as prerelease.

Imon Yourside 09-20-2012 07:47 AM

Still not available, why does it not launch until Noon? I thought it would launch at midnight.

the Talking Can 09-20-2012 08:33 AM

i skipped diablo 3, happy to have torchlight

suds79 09-20-2012 08:58 AM

Honestly I have yet to come across a review that isn't glowing about how good this game is. Cannot wait to play it.

And yet another great review:
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/torchlight-ii/1226144p1.html

Mr. Laz 09-20-2012 09:17 AM

downloading ....

Mr. Laz 09-20-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger (Post 8898401)
I hear it's going to have an in game auction house, constant bugs, and the same four acts to play through four separate times per character.

Torchblo II?

Bump 09-20-2012 09:25 AM

kinda gay you have to wait till 1, but whatever. I think I'm gonna roll an outlander.

Mr. Laz 09-20-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 8930114)
kinda gay you have to wait till 1, but whatever. I think I'm gonna roll an outlander.

me too, sounds like a hybrid mage/ranger type

right in my wheelhouse

suds79 09-20-2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 8930173)
me too, sounds like a hybrid mage/ranger type

right in my wheelhouse

I might like outlander also.

This is weird but I've never liked ranged characters in a lot of RPGs int he past (naimly Diablo). But you give me a ranged character that can rock guns in that type of world, I don't know. It just strikes me as funny and I like that.

Kinda reminds me of this.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nhlHzYt4xRM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

htismaqe 09-20-2012 09:53 AM

Are you guys getting it on Steam?

I never spent much time on TL1 but my oldest daughter loved it and is eagerly waiting for TL2.

Mr. Laz 09-20-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8930191)
Are you guys getting it on Steam?

I never spent much time on TL1 but my oldest daughter loved it and is eagerly waiting for TL2.

i did because i already had the steam client installed etc.

i went to gamestop hoping for a plain digital download but apparently they have a client now too. :banghead:

btw you get TL1 for free when you buy TL2 from Steam. I don't know if it is a pre-order freebie or not.

suds79 09-20-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 8930209)
btw you get TL1 for free when you buy TL2 from Steam. I don't know if it is a pre-order freebie or not.

Wow I didn't know that. Great tip.

I'm talking to my college buddies in getting TL2 with me and they never played TL1 so that's sweet.

Mr. Laz 09-20-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suds79 (Post 8930227)
Wow I didn't know that. Great tip.

I'm talking to my college buddies in getting TL2 with me and they never played TL1 so that's sweet.

:thumb:

They didn't even ask or make you click anything. I just told it to go ahead and start downloading TL2 and it had TL1 there to be downloading too.

:shrug:

[/edit] i guess it's a pre-order freebie so you need to order it now.

====================
Steam's offering a free copy of the original Torchlight with pre-orders, which can be gifted if you already own it, and is the only place to get that bargain four-pack.
=====================

Mr. Laz 09-20-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 8930086)
downloading ....

playing ....

PBJ

Imon Yourside 09-20-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 8930426)
playing ....

PBJ

It's quite fun, but Borderlands 2 has hooked for me now. I will play this from time to time until i'm less enthralled with B2.

Mr. Laz 09-20-2012 01:03 PM

heh

AOE Hand Cannon + Knockback + Fire Gem = Meteor-like devastation LMAO

still have another open socket in cannon too :D

I'm thinking poison gem since i have 2 passive skills that increase poison

Fear Me!!!!!!!! bwahahahaha

Bump 09-20-2012 01:09 PM

loving this so far. The hand cannon is cool, but I like the range with the bow or the survivability with shield + pistol. so many viable choices.....

Mr. Laz 09-20-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 8930682)
loving this so far. The hand cannon is cool, but I like the range with the bow or the survivability with shield + pistol. so many viable choices.....

I use the magic Glaive attack for range until all my mana is gone. By then the bad guys are close enough for me to blast away with the hand cannon.

plays very similar to TL1

Mr. Laz 09-20-2012 02:27 PM

forgot all about sending pet back to sell stuff

love it!!!

htismaqe 09-20-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 8930664)
heh

AOE Hand Cannon + Knockback + Fire Gem = Meteor-like devastation LMAO

still have another open socket in cannon too :D

I'm thinking poison gem since i have 2 passive skills that increase poison

Fear Me!!!!!!!! bwahahahaha

Between this and your posts on Kingdoms of Amalur thread, I'm starting to see a pattern. :D

Imon Yourside 09-20-2012 02:50 PM

Played about a half an hour so far, and I can tell this is already Diablo 3 or what should be Diablo 3.

Mr. Laz 09-20-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8930928)
Between this and your posts on Kingdoms of Amalur thread, I'm starting to see a pattern. :D

:LOL:

maybe :redface:

Bump 09-20-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 8930966)
Played about a half an hour so far, and I can tell this is already Diablo 3 or what should be Diablo 3.

ya seriously. This game kicks ass! can't wait till the online works so I can get down on some motha****ing PVP!!

Mr. Laz 09-20-2012 04:09 PM

Rune Vault?

:spock:

i wonder who ripped off whom?

Huffmeister 09-21-2012 09:39 AM

I started playing this a bit last night, and it was pretty fun. Question, though...

My toon is an Outlander, so I'd like to shoot from a distance. However, I'm finding that when I left-click on something to attack it, I sometimes click on the ground next to the mob, and then my guy is running up to the melee. Or, if I'm rapidly clicking on a big mob, as soon as he dies my guy runs up because now I'm clicking the ground.

Is there a way that I can stay rooted in one spot while I blast things from a distance? Or any other tips for staying at a distance?

Bump 09-21-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 8932820)
I started playing this a bit last night, and it was pretty fun. Question, though...

My toon is an Outlander, so I'd like to shoot from a distance. However, I'm finding that when I left-click on something to attack it, I sometimes click on the ground next to the mob, and then my guy is running up to the melee. Or, if I'm rapidly clicking on a big mob, as soon as he dies my guy runs up because now I'm clicking the ground.

Is there a way that I can stay rooted in one spot while I blast things from a distance? Or any other tips for staying at a distance?

hold down shift while you attack, you will stand in place.

Huffmeister 09-21-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 8932822)

Rep, thank you sir!

Mr. Laz 09-21-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 8932820)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 8932822)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 8932830)
Rep, thank you sir!

you should really check your controls screen

it lets you change the key control to whatever you want.

the Talking Can 09-21-2012 04:23 PM

downloading it now...will give it a go this weekend

the Talking Can 09-22-2012 07:48 AM

so dumb question but i can't figure out how the game saves

at check points? I can't find a save option in the menus

Bump 09-22-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 8934706)
so dumb question but i can't figure out how the game saves

at check points? I can't find a save option in the menus

it seems to save when you exit. when I resume game I'm left right where I was.

the Talking Can 09-22-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 8934857)
it seems to save when you exit. when I resume game I'm left right where I was.

yeah...i was worried the first time

Bump 09-22-2012 10:21 AM

I really prefer this style of ARPG. When decisions you make actually matter. I love the skill point system and all of the other little stuff, like enchanting, gambling and shit. ****ing great game. So much better than that piece of shit D3.

Saulbadguy 09-22-2012 12:17 PM

Good game so far

Imon Yourside 09-22-2012 12:23 PM

I still don't understand why Runic waited until now to release this, they could have made more money by releasing a little sooner or waiting a month.

Huffmeister 09-24-2012 12:23 PM

Re-rolled as an Engineer and have been having a blast with it. The Heal Bot is awesome, as it keeps me from having to pop potions all the time. And the flame strike (whatever it's called) is a great way to take out multiple mobs.

I just got to Act II last night, and I'm looking forward to checking out the desert.

the Talking Can 09-24-2012 12:28 PM

for $20, this game is amazing...right in my button mashing wheelhouse

trolling dungeons with a pack of exploding spiders is kind of unfair, but a lot of fun...great metallic sound for their deployment

Bump 09-24-2012 01:39 PM

if you guys want gold, there is a save file out there called fast cash. Gold doesn't really seem to do much in this game but I did buy out the gambler a few times and got a bunch of good gear and then I enchanted everything!

Huffmeister 09-24-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 8945874)
for $20, this game is amazing...right in my button mashing wheelhouse

trolling dungeons with a pack of exploding spiders is kind of unfair, but a lot of fun...great metallic sound for their deployment

Yeah, the $20 price tag was what sold it for me. Otherwise I'm not sure I would gotten it. Diablo 1 was the only action RPG I've played. But I'm glad I checked this one out. Lots of fun. And it will be interesting see what kind of mods people come up with for it.

I passed on the spider mines, but I may have to throw a point in it just have another attack on hand.

And later, I think I will go back to the Outlander. Dual wielding pistols are just badass.

Mr. Laz 09-24-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 8945863)
Re-rolled as an Engineer and have been having a blast with it. The Heal Bot is awesome, as it keeps me from having to pop potions all the time. And the flame strike (whatever it's called) is a great way to take out multiple mobs.

I just got to Act II last night, and I'm looking forward to checking out the desert.

outlander has something called stone pact that heals you and increases your armor rating by 15% on level 1.

it heals you pet and any minions you have as well

big circle of healing

it starts reflecting damage at higher levels too

Stone Pact
Rank 10/15

You invoke an ancient curse that protects you and your allies from physical and elemental damage and reflects some damage back on your attackers. The Stone Pact lasts for twenty seconds, and any ally passing through the pact's area benefits from its effects for the listed duration.

Mana Cost: 14
Cooldown: 8 seconds
2300 Health recovery over 3 seconds*
+32% to Armor for 3 seconds
50% Damage reflected back on attacker for 3 seconds

Tier 1 Bonus
The pact reflects 25% of damage back at attacking monsters
Tier 2 Bonus
The pact reflects 50% of damage back at attacking monsters
Tier 3 Bonus
The pact reflects 75% of damage back at attacking monsters

Imon Yourside 09-25-2012 12:59 PM

Going back and forth between this and Borderlands 2, both are great games. I think Torchlight 2 will last longer though because of the random levels.

Bump 09-25-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 8950010)
Going back and forth between this and Borderlands 2, both are great games. I think Torchlight 2 will last longer though because of the random levels.

the mods will keep TL2 going strong too

Imon Yourside 09-26-2012 07:57 AM

Lolz claptrap as a pet from a mod...hehe...here is the thread and some possible claptrap ramblings as you play...

"Which way to the Auction House? I just got paid and I got money to burn!"

"You just lost your Internet connection. OH NO! OH GOD!! All that progress... all that loot... lost forever!! ... Oh wait... Nothing happened??? Bet you're glad this game isn't online-only, huh? huh? huh?"

"Wow, you mean you can pick ANY skills you want and they'll actually work in the endgame? Well cover me in honey and call me Skag-bait!"

"There's more to do in this game than just farming items, you know. Here's some free advice: Go out, explore, adventure, find love, have kids, raise a family, get a mortgage, live the dream!! That way, when you die horribly at the hands of a rabid Spiderant you won't wish you'd spent less time farming for loot."

"No DRM?! None at ALL?!?!?! What the.... ? How do they expect to make any money off this thing?"

"You're leveling up too quickly! NERF!!! NERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRF!!!"

"By all that is holy, do you see that enemy over there?"

lolz...

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=37366

Huffmeister 09-26-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 8950481)
the mods will keep TL2 going strong too

I hope someone will come up with a mod to put a health bar over mobs.

suds79 09-27-2012 02:53 PM

Newbish question here but I don't care.

Has anyone seen if you can purchase spells from merchants like you could in TL1? As far as I can tell, the merchants in TL2 don't have them.

Thus far I've only seen them as drops in the game.

Used to like to pick which ones I wanted.

Mr. Laz 09-27-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suds79 (Post 8954897)
Newbish question here but I don't care.

Has anyone seen if you can purchase spells from merchants like you could in TL1? As far as I can tell, the merchants in TL2 don't have them.

Thus far I've only seen them as drops in the game.

Used to like to pick which ones I wanted.

i'm level 45-ish and i have yet to see spells for sale.

all of them have been loot.

maybe cities further along might have vendor that sell them. :shrug:

suds79 09-27-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 8954915)
i'm level 45-ish and i have yet to see spells for sale.

all of them have been loot.

maybe cities further along might have vendor that sell them. :shrug:

Wow that's disappointing. Guess I'll have to treat any good ones I find like gold and hang onto them.

Thanks.

Mr. Laz 09-27-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suds79 (Post 8954929)
Wow that's disappointing. Guess I'll have to treat any good ones I find like gold and hang onto them.

Thanks.

btw the spells seem to disappear when you unequip them so make sure you really want it.

what is really bad is that you don't see a full description until you equip it and then it might now be what you really need.

Mr. Laz 09-27-2012 03:24 PM

just looked it up on TL 2 forum and i guess you start seeing vendors selling spells in act 3.

suds79 09-27-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 8954950)
just looked it up on TL 2 forum and i guess you start seeing vendors selling spells in act 3.

Sweet thanks for the info.

Wow either you must level fast in this game or it's really a lot of content.

Suppose I'm still on the D3 model where a lvl 45 char would have already beaten the game twice over by now. ;)

thx

Bump 09-27-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 8954938)
btw the spells seem to disappear when you unequip them so make sure you really want it.

what is really bad is that you don't see a full description until you equip it and then it might now be what you really need.

I've unequipped some spells and kept them, they didn't disappear for me.

Imon Yourside 09-27-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 8954993)
I've unequipped some spells and kept them, they didn't disappear for me.

They did for me... strange.

suds79 09-28-2012 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 8955946)
They did for me... strange.

That is strange. If it's anything like Torchlight 1, when you unlearn a spell, it's gone.

Mr. Laz 10-04-2012 03:09 PM

How long does it take for areas to respawn after you kill everything?

some of my areas are still barren after 3/4 days have passed

Imon Yourside 10-04-2012 03:47 PM

5 things torchlight 2 does better than Diablo 3

http://unrealitymag.com/index.php/20...than-diablo-3/

hometeam 10-04-2012 09:36 PM

Still thinking about picking this up, but I think I will wait till a steam sale. Unless someone wants to gift me :X

Imon Yourside 10-05-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 8978030)
Still thinking about picking this up, but I think I will wait till a steam sale. Unless someone wants to gift me :X

It's WELL worth the $20 price tag, better than another $60 ARPG that everyone expected to dominate.

the Talking Can 10-05-2012 11:27 AM

this game is a blast...

my pet has zombie and skeleton spells, so he is constantly, and randomly, spawning shit...

with the engineers health robot, and gunner robot, and a bunch of zombies and skeletons it's like a traveling circus most of the time...

Bump 10-05-2012 02:04 PM

honestly I played so much D3, 400 hours or something that I think I'm burned out on PvE'ing mofo's.

Good game though, but COD seems fun now, been playing the shit out of BLOPS. I can only PvE for so long...

Mr. Laz 10-05-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 8979116)
this game is a blast...

my pet has zombie and skeleton spells, so he is constantly, and randomly, spawning shit...

with the engineers health robot, and gunner robot, and a bunch of zombies and skeletons it's like a traveling circus most of the time...

yea, i gave my pet 3 summons and a 'Heal All' spell

I think he's strong enough to play the game without me.

Mr. Laz 10-05-2012 02:25 PM

was there a final battle?

i think i missed it

Imon Yourside 10-06-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 8979541)
was there a final battle?

i think i missed it

Yup, wait for the mods..also the map scrolls make it interesting longer than the final boss.

Mr. Laz 10-06-2012 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 8982318)
Yup, wait for the mods..also the map scrolls make it interesting longer than the final boss.

yea, looked around and found out the final boss fight.

I remember doing that fight, just didn't realize that it was the final one.

I did die once though.

Bump 10-06-2012 04:16 PM

I'm playing this pretty slowly. I was level 42 Outlander in veteran. I ****ed up my build at first being a noob, so I re-rolled another Outlander in elite and it's def more challening, I thought vet was way too easy. But now I'm 42 again. Making a glaive spammer.

Mr. Laz 10-06-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 8982646)
I'm playing this pretty slowly. I was level 42 Outlander in veteran. I ****ed up my build at first being a noob, so I re-rolled another Outlander in elite and it's def more challening, I thought vet was way too easy. But now I'm 42 again. Making a glaive spammer.

if you upgrade your elemental damage passive, the 1st glaive attack is freaking awesome.

Glaive throw + cursed daggers + stone pact(upgrade to reflect damage) = everybody dies

Bump 10-06-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 8982666)
if you upgrade your elemental damage passive, the 1st glaive attack is freaking awesome.

Glaive throw + cursed daggers + stone pact(upgrade to reflect damage) = everybody dies

ya Im doing only 5 points in glaive, so I can spam it. Maxing cursed daggers, elemental damage, stone pact, dodge, increase the wealth and I put 5 points in long range mastery but I don't think I'll put more.

Imon Yourside 10-06-2012 05:04 PM

Cursed Daggers is a must, although I completely skipped over the glaive tree. It just didn't seem interesting enough for me.

hometeam 10-23-2012 07:56 PM

bought a 4 pack for me and a friend on a whim. Have 2 giftable games in steam. Will trade for other steam gift games or sell via paypal cheaper than steam :P

also play with me - falxsonoma

Bump 10-23-2012 08:19 PM

I forgot about this game.

My friend has been bugging me to play the free League of Legends for about 6 months now. I caved in, it's pretty damn good. I think I prefer competitive games because I'm way more into LoL than anything else right now.

Imon Yourside 12-14-2013 12:46 AM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7k-clvJ5wk8?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hometeam 12-14-2013 09:55 AM

I still have two gift copies of TL2 sitting in my steam inventory if anyone wants to trade for them :P

Imon Yourside 12-14-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10276084)
I still have two gift copies of TL2 sitting in my steam inventory if anyone wants to trade for them :P

I still have one as well, just not enough hack and slash players these days.