ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Computers What do you use for personal email? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267376)

Hootie 12-04-2012 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9181670)
It's definitely nice. I signed up back in the old invite only days and instantly opened accounts with like 5 different names I might like to use just to make sure I had the option. :)

I think I've turned loose of hem all now, but who knows.

I wish I had that sort of foresight, sadly when I was 19 all of my usernames were Hootie2485 no matter where I went or where I signed up...so I'm stuck with it on GMAIL. It hasn't really hindered me much, but it is kind of embarrassing on my resume.

DaFace 12-04-2012 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Tasty Cheeks (Post 9181704)
I wish I had that sort of foresight, sadly when I was 19 all of my usernames were Hootie2485 no matter where I went or where I signed up...so I'm stuck with it on GMAIL. It hasn't really hindered me much, but it is kind of embarrassing on my resume.

Can you just not find anything close to your real name you could use? If you're actually using that on your resume...stop. I'd almost instantly pass on a resume with a name like that on it.

ghak99 12-04-2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Tasty Cheeks (Post 9181704)

Damn man, it's not that hard to come up with something more professional. I know dozens of people who have been declined follow up interviews for something as small as a ****ed up email address.

Hootie 12-04-2012 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9181710)
Can you just not find anything close to your real name you could use? If you're actually using that on your resume...stop. I'd almost instantly pass on a resume with a name like that on it.

well I landed the job I really, really wanted two months ago...so hopefully I'll never have to bust out my resume again...and now I have a corporate email as well

but yeah, perhaps if I ever have another go around I'll register a new email to handle all job inquiries...never really even thought about it

I was pretty new to the whole resume game this time around, really stumbled into a good career so hopefully I don't **** it up

Fish 12-04-2012 11:15 PM

I've been with gmail since beta. Which is how I have multiple 6 digit accounts, including my own...

WV 12-04-2012 11:15 PM

If I had to post a resume today I would definately creat a new email strictly for that. It shouldn't matter, but it does like people have mentioned.

Hootie 12-04-2012 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WV (Post 9181760)
If I had to post a resume today I would definately creat a new email strictly for that. It shouldn't matter, but it does like people have mentioned.

I'm not a Hootie & the Blowfish fan...it's basically my last name. I think people get confused, but perhaps since my name is on my resume my email makes a little more sense in case they wondered.

WV 12-04-2012 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Tasty Cheeks (Post 9181770)
I'm not a Hootie & the Blowfish fan...it's basically my last name. I think people get confused, but perhaps since my name is on my resume my email makes a little more sense in case they wondered.

If it resembles your last name then I think you are fine and why you haven't had any issues thus far. Mine has nothing to do with my name, so I would change mine.

htismaqe 12-05-2012 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9181710)

I setup an account a long time ago to distribute VPN clients to users that weren't on the corporate email platform of my previous employer.

Since I'm a network engineer, and that email address pretty obviously is for distribution of VPNs, I use it on my resume. I've also spent considerable time doing Internet forensics and abuse - I never use my real name for stuff like that.

htismaqe 12-05-2012 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SomeRandomGirl (Post 9181527)
I use hotmail for almost everything, but I refuse to put my hotmail account on any sort of application/resume or important thing. For that I use gmail. For some reason I just feel like hotmail is not a "serious" email. Anyone else feel that way?

No, that's silly.

Neither is more professional, or unprofessional, than the other.

htismaqe 12-05-2012 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9181546)
I have no idea why, but yes. I definitely feel like Gmail is a more respectable provider.

Silly.

Saulbadguy 12-05-2012 07:30 AM

I love it when dorks put their own personal domain e-mail address on their resume.

htismaqe 12-05-2012 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Tasty Cheeks (Post 9181634)
if I wanted to use Microsoft I'd use live.com rather than hotmail.com anyways.

They're the same. The domain suffix is all that is different. Hotmail IS Live.com. It's all been migrated to the same platform.

htismaqe 12-05-2012 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 9182068)
I love it when dorks put their own personal domain e-mail address on their resume.

I know I wouldn't hire saul@badguy.com. :D

NewChief 12-05-2012 07:42 AM

I'm shocked by te number of students who still use emails like "babygrrrl420@yahoo.com" as their official contact email. Of course, I'm also shocked at the number of teens who don't really use/check their email with any regularity.