ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life If you were me.. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=275051)

lewdog 08-04-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9857123)
Man, its so stupid out there in the marketplace for humans right now, its just an incredibly odd congruence of miserly business owner habits and a glut of desperate people with many even offering to work well below their experience level... hence the "overqualified" label... i've never understood that charge, you're saying you dont want an extremely capable employee for the same amount of money you'd hire an idiot for?

I personally know two holders of Masters degrees who are by turns, unemployed... or working as a waiter in chicago to supplement what they're already doing! Just heard that from a relative tonight!... if thats me, mother**** chicago, i'll go where i dont have to work 80 hours a week to live.

Has a masters, now waits tables to go with his teaching job... dumbest shit i've ever heard of... GET. OUT. OF. DODGE.

Thanks, Obama!

I know friends with Master's degrees who aren't using them either because of the "over-qualified" tag for the line of work they want to do. Paying student loans making $10/hour. If you get a Master's it should be in something that is required for you to work in that field. Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy and Speech Therapy all require Master's/Doctorates just to practice. Everyone has this much education just to have a job, so the playing field is level for everyone as far as education goes. Just an example but you get the point.

mr. tegu 08-04-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 9857167)
So far insurance agent, associate underwriter with two different insurance agencies, a CD clerk with a bank, part time Jos A Bank suit seller, ESPN statistics guy, and regional underwriter.

The first two underwriting jobs gave me "sorry, no dice" emails last week and three weeks ago, never heard back from the suit shop, no word from ESPN or the bank and a family friend talked to HR for the regional underwriting job.

I feel like I am addressing the elephant in the room but what does an English degree have to do with these jobs?

Discuss Thrower 08-04-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9857364)
I feel like I am addressing the elephant in the room but what does an English degree have to do with these jobs?

Nothing. All but the last thing I applied for required nothing more than a HS diploma. Folks with English degrees get jobs by effectively selling the skills learned in the program and/or by good internship work in field.

I figured I was going to go to law school through my first three years of college so it didn't matter what undergrad degree I obtained.

gblowfish 08-04-2013 12:47 PM

Cut the soles off your shoes, sit in a tree and learn to play the flute....

Discuss Thrower 08-04-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 9857779)
Cut the soles off your shoes, sit in a tree and learn to play the flute....

How about I keep my shoes, kick myself in the ass and call it even?

BWillie 08-04-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9856731)
Find something you enjoy doing. Do that.

This, exactly.

Discuss Thrower 08-04-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 9857923)
This, exactly.

Still have to pay the bills... And have enough to golf

stevieray 08-04-2013 01:42 PM

brother, I know that if you stick your staff out everyday, something will hit, even if it's only temporary......attitude, gratitude.

...keep pushin!

mr. tegu 08-04-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 9857774)
Nothing. All but the last thing I applied for required nothing more than a HS diploma. Folks with English degrees get jobs by effectively selling the skills learned in the program and/or by good internship work in field.

I figured I was going to go to law school through my first three years of college so it didn't matter what undergrad degree I obtained.

That makes sense. So law school ended up not being what you wanted?

If you are good with logic and numbers you should be an actuary. Ridiculous pay that requires no degree. Just take the exam, pass it, and the offers will roll in.

vailpass 08-04-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9856731)
Find something you enjoy doing. Do that.

There you go. Exactly.

DeezNutz 08-04-2013 02:07 PM

You have a BA in English? You're plenty qualified for quite a bit, but it sounds like you're not marketing yourself well at all.

Business, PR, marketing, government, etc.

There are tons of possibilities. I'd check how you're presenting your resume cover letter. My guess is that these important docs are not up to snuff.

KC native 08-04-2013 02:08 PM

Antifreeze taste tester

DeezNutz 08-04-2013 02:09 PM

Strong verbal and written skills. Public speaking. Critical thinking and processing. Yeah, all about how you tailor your skill set, but you shouldn't be selling yourself short.

Discuss Thrower 08-04-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9858042)
You have a BA in English? You're plenty qualified for quite a bit, but it sounds like you're not marketing yourself well at all.

Business, PR, marketing, government, etc.

There are tons of possibilities. I'd check how you're presenting your resume cover letter. My guess is that these important docs are not up to snuff.

I know they're not because I didn't have one until a few months ago.

It was to the point where my work experience didn't seem worth listing as most of it has been short internships or less than part time work -one instance of which was being a hired hand for a relative's wedding business.

My grades were decent, I was in two honor societies and was in a leadership role in my fraternity for 2+ years in a couple of different capacities. Working freelance means I'm used to working on deadline (and, if I were being honest, turning a complete non story into something worth reading 300 words about). I was hoping working at the bar would be a way to show I'm not a total non-factor in a work place but since I'm leaving that at the end the month it won't look good to see that I only was there for four months.

Discuss Thrower 08-04-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 9858047)
Antifreeze taste tester

I'm sad it took a few dozen posts for this to appear. CP has lost its burst.