ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Bills contact Shanahan about coach opening (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=218384)

Nzoner 11-18-2009 03:49 PM

Bills contact Shanahan about coach opening

Link Here

By Adam Schefter
ESPN
Archive

One day after firing Dick Jauron, the Buffalo Bills have wasted no time identifying a potential replacement.

Buffalo has contacted and is in the process of arranging a meeting with former Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan, according to two NFL sources.

Shanahan, a two-time Super Bowl winner with the Broncos, is said to be willing to listen to the Bills. He has said in the past that he is determined to return to the NFL next season.

While Shanahan, a two-time Super Bowl winner with the Broncos, is viewed within the Bills organization as a desired candidate, there are other names at or near the top of the team's wish list.

For now, the Bills have appointed defensive coordinator Perry Fewell as interim head coach. Fewell is well-respected within the organization and will be given every opportunity to earn the full-time job.

The Bills also will investigate options expected to include Florida Tuskers coach Jim Haslett and New York Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride, both of whom has ties to the Bills.

Haslett played linebacker for Buffalo from 1979 to 1985. Gilbride was the Bills offensive coordinator during 2002-03, when quarterback Drew Bledsoe had his most productive seasons with the team.

Another candidate on the Bills radar is Marc Trestman, coach of the Canadian Football League's Montreal Alouettes, who posted a CFL-best 15-3 regular season record and has his team one win from the Grey Cup final. Ironically, Trestman once succeeded Shanahan as the offensive coordinator of the San Francisco 49ers.

Adam Schefter is an ESPN NFL Insider.

Titty Meat 11-18-2009 03:51 PM

Wow what a shitty list of candidates

wild1 11-18-2009 03:52 PM

THE DEAL IS DONE firsties

wasi 11-18-2009 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 6273823)
Link Here

By Adam Schefter
ESPN
Archive

One day after firing Dick Jauron, the Buffalo Bills have wasted no time identifying a potential replacement.

Buffalo has contacted and is in the process of arranging a meeting with former Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan, according to two NFL sources.

Shanahan, a two-time Super Bowl winner with the Broncos, is said to be willing to listen to the Bills. He has said in the past that he is determined to return to the NFL next season.

While Shanahan, a two-time Super Bowl winner with the Broncos, is viewed within the Bills organization as a desired candidate, there are other names at or near the top of the team's wish list.

For now, the Bills have appointed defensive coordinator Perry Fewell as interim head coach. Fewell is well-respected within the organization and will be given every opportunity to earn the full-time job.

The Bills also will investigate options expected to include Florida Tuskers coach Jim Haslett and New York Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride, both of whom has ties to the Bills.

Haslett played linebacker for Buffalo from 1979 to 1985. Gilbride was the Bills offensive coordinator during 2002-03, when quarterback Drew Bledsoe had his most productive seasons with the team.

Another candidate on the Bills radar is Marc Trestman, coach of the Canadian Football League's Montreal Alouettes, who posted a CFL-best 15-3 regular season record and has his team one win from the Grey Cup final. Ironically, Trestman once succeeded Shanahan as the offensive coordinator of the San Francisco 49ers.

Adam Schefter is an ESPN NFL Insider.

The Bills would certainly give him full control so I could see why he would be interested.

Crush 11-18-2009 03:53 PM

This list of candidates is full of FAIL.

Haslett?
Gilbride?
Some CFL coach?

The only one on that list that has credibility is Shanahan.

blaise 11-18-2009 03:56 PM

I think Shanahan would be a good fit there. Ralph Wilson would probably give him a lot of leeway, which seems to be what Shanahan likes.

Mr. Laz 11-18-2009 03:57 PM

well ... shannarat was used to living in cold.

Titty Meat 11-18-2009 03:58 PM

Shannahan is a washed up coach hopefully he goes to Dallas

The Bad Guy 11-18-2009 04:01 PM

I can't think of a worse situation for Shanahan.

Crush 11-18-2009 04:01 PM

I don't know if Shanahan would go to Dallas. I doubt he likes the idea of Jerry Jones constantly looking over his shoulder.

DaneMcCloud 11-18-2009 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billay (Post 6273849)
Shannahan is a washed up coach hopefully he goes to Dallas

This is a joke, I take it?

Shanahan in Dallas would be scary. Their offensive weapons are outstanding.

tyler360 11-18-2009 04:04 PM

Buffalo just seems like a bad place for Shannahan. Besides he is still under buyout with Broncos for like 7 million a year no need to go to someplace crappy like Buffalo. He would go to someplace That is farther along the process of building a team i would say.

Rooster 11-18-2009 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billay (Post 6273826)
Wow what a shitty list of candidates

LOL.. That's what I was thinking.

Titty Meat 11-18-2009 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 6273862)
This is a joke, I take it?

Shanahan in Dallas would be scary. Their offensive weapons are outstanding.

No Dane its not a joke. Whens the last team Shannahans team made the playoffs? He's just like Dicky V. All offense ignore the defense.

DaneMcCloud 11-18-2009 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billay (Post 6273869)
No Dane its not a joke. Whens the last team Shannahans team made the playoffs? He's just like Dicky V. All offense ignore the defense.

Dude, his team was in the AFC Championship just a few years ago against the Steelers. With Jake Plummer as QB. The Denver Broncos were number two in total offense just last year.

Their problem was defense and he just wasn't able to solve it the past few seasons. He fired coordinator after coordinator, he drafted, traded and signed defensive players but none of that got him a championship defense. But it wasn't for a lack of effort.

The guy is a high quality NFL coach and he'll succeed somewhere else.

And he certainly made Jay Cutler look to be a much better QB than is actually the case.