ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Okay, bike (cycle) enthusiasts!! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269992)

Ceej 02-13-2013 02:32 PM

Okay, bike (cycle) enthusiasts!!

I've decided I am going to start riding a bike to work once the weather gets a tad warmer. It's only 5.8 miles both ways.

Any recommendations or brands to target, or stay away from?

I'm not looking to spend a lot of money -- and will probably wind up just buying something used.

I'll dish out a couple of extra dollars if I can get sweet, red/blue KU streamers and a sweet horn too. So, that won't be an issue.

Thanks!

Molitoth 02-13-2013 02:42 PM

http://trainerconfessions.typepad.co...1cce970d-800wi

Omaha 02-13-2013 02:46 PM

I'd look for a cyclocross or performance hybrid bike. I wouldn't worry too much about brand name. Just ride them and buy the one that feels right.

rageeumr 02-13-2013 02:49 PM

What's the route to work? On the road or on a bike trail?

Do you have any thoughts of riding recreationally in the future, or is this purely a commuter deal?

Omaha 02-13-2013 02:49 PM

Also, if you haven't already, go to a local bike shop and get fitted. That way, if you decide to buy used, you won't waste time looking at the wrong bikes. Make sure the bike you buy fits you well.

ping2000 02-13-2013 02:51 PM

Avoid the KU colors unless you desire to get "doored" by MU fans.

Chest Rockwell 02-13-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9400279)
I'd look for a cyclocross or performance hybrid bike. I wouldn't worry too much about brand name. Just ride them and buy the one that feels right.

I concur with this. Went into a bit more detail in this post in another thread, but basically, this.

Ceej 02-13-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ping2000 (Post 9400315)
Avoid the KU colors unless you desire to get "doored" by MU fans.

I live in Topeka, Ks. About 25 miles from Lawrence.

Not too worried about that.

Ceej 02-13-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9400305)
Also, if you haven't already, go to a local bike shop and get fitted. That way, if you decide to buy used, you won't waste time looking at the wrong bikes. Make sure the bike you buy fits you well.

See, I would have never thought about this. I never knew you could get fitted for a bicycle. However, my chode and I would like to thank you!

There's a place in Topeka called CAPPS I plan on checking out soon.

Ceej 02-13-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageeumr (Post 9400302)
What's the route to work? On the road or on a bike trail?

Do you have any thoughts of riding recreationally in the future, or is this purely a commuter deal?

Mostly sidewalks.

I'm doing this mostly to get exercise, save on gas money and wear/tear on my car.

Just commuter, mostly.

rageeumr 02-13-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9400342)
Mostly sidewalks.

I'm doing this mostly to get exercise, save on gas money and wear/tear on my car.

Just commuter, mostly.

Then I agree with the suggestion to look at at CX or hybrid bike. You could also look at a true commuter bike.

Chest Rockwell 02-13-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9400342)
Mostly sidewalks.

Just commuter, mostly.

Since it's going to be a commuter you might also want to consider something with fender and/or pannier mounts in case of unexpected weather or if you need to carry much.

Ceej 02-13-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageeumr (Post 9400367)
Then I agree with the suggestion to look at at CX or hybrid bike. You could also look at a true commuter bike.

Any idea what these cost new and used?

tooge 02-13-2013 03:13 PM

I've got a Specialized. It's a Hard Rock that I bought new in 1991, but it's been awesome. It's a mountain bike but I have hybrid tires on it. Can't say anything bad about the brand.

Chest Rockwell 02-13-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9400383)
Any idea what these cost new and used?

Like anything else you can spend as much or little as you want.

Figure out what size you need and what you like then watch the list of Craig. Lots of people get bored or buy something that doesn't fit and end up not being able to ride and dump them there.

If the terrain is mild between you and work you could also think about a single speed and not have to worry as much about maintenance.