ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Washington DC and The Holy Land (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Economics Should the minimum wage be raised to $20/hr? (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=283584)

Hammock Parties 05-10-2014 12:03 PM

Should the minimum wage be raised to $20/hr?
 
Seems like that would provided everyone with a comfortable living.

http://www.cepr.net/documents/public...e1-2012-03.pdf

Quote:

Using wages as a benchmark, in 1968 the federal minimum stood at 53 percent of the average production worker earnings. During much of the
1960s, the minimum wage was close to 50 percent of the same wage
benchmark. If the minimum wage were at 50 percent of the production
worker wage in 2012 (again, using CBO projections to produce a full-year
2012 estimate), the federal minimum would be $10.01 per hour.

A final benchmark for the minimum wage is productivity growth. Figure
2 below compares growth in average labor productivity with the real
value of the minimum wage between the late 1940s and the end of the
last decade. Between the end of World War II and 1968, the minimum
wage tracked average productivity growth fairly closely.

Since 1968, however, productivity growth has far outpaced the minimum wage. If the minimum wage had continued to move with average productivity after 1968, it would have reached $21.72 per hour in 2012 a rate well above the average production worker wage. If minimum-wage workers received only half of the productivity gains over the period, the federal minimum would be $15.34. Even if the minimum wage only grew at one-fourth the rate of productivity, in 2012 it would be set at $12.25.

SAUTO 05-10-2014 12:08 PM

And everything else goes up in price so much we are all ****ed...
Posted via Mobile Device

BucEyedPea 05-10-2014 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 10619505)
And everything else goes up in price so much we are all ****ed...
Posted via Mobile Device

Everyone climbs at the ladder in the same position. No real gain.

BucEyedPea 05-10-2014 01:14 PM

More of this will handle such a steep increase--robots! Oh, but such a policy doesn't lead to less jobs.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=283517

Hamwallet 05-10-2014 01:33 PM

How about we fine you 25K if you have babies and make minimum wage? No more tax returns or food stamps until you pay back the "I am a poor broke idiot that breeds, tax". Can't afford it, hello future militery reqruits that have no choice.

Stewie 05-10-2014 01:50 PM

I think it depends on the business model. Aldi pays $17/hour for HS grads. College grads make $65K and have a company car if they're not a complete dumbass in their interview.

Aries Walker 05-10-2014 02:10 PM

What is an Aldi?

BucEyedPea 05-10-2014 02:22 PM

I think it's some supermarket-type store in the MidWest. Think it's there. Heard of it here first so just assuming.

Stewie 05-10-2014 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aries Walker (Post 10620223)
What is an Aldi?

Aldi pays high wages and serve millions of people. Trader Joe's does the same thing since it's the same company.

There was a sign outside the Aldi I shop at that had a sign for $17/hour.

BucEyedPea 05-10-2014 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 10620399)
Aldi pays high wages and serve millions of people. Trader Joe's does the same thing since it's the same company.

There was a sign outside the Aldi I shop at that had a sign for $17/hour.

Well, thanks for that bit of info. Some local folks here claim to want a Trader Joe's but I just googled Aldi and used their store locator and there's a bunch of Aldis in the surrounding towns here including in Tampa. Whaddya' know!

Hammock Parties 05-10-2014 02:56 PM

I hate debating with liberals.

Quote:

everyone should have a minimum living income, regardless of whether they work or not.

Aries Walker 05-10-2014 03:00 PM

So far, the only debating is concerning what Aldi is.

Where did that quote come from?

Baby Lee 05-10-2014 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 10620124)
I think it depends on the business model. Aldi pays $17/hour for HS grads. College grads make $65K and have a company car if they're not a complete dumbass in their interview.

Aldis has the most unique business model in supermarkets.

The sell off-brand and economy foodstuffs, mostly staples, with a few 'fancy' [private label fresh salsas, chicken salads, cheeses, Mama Cozzi fresh bake at home pizzas, private label frozen seafood] items borrowed from their sister market Trader Joe's. They don't hire cart wranglers because they have a system where you put a quarter in a mechanism to get a cart, and get that quarter back [there you go inmem] when you return it to the stack yourself. All bags cost you, or you bring your own. Cashiers are much more responsible because they ring things up from memory of the costs of all inventory, so they don't have to pay for UPC. No credit cards, so no percentage paid to CC. Debit or cash only. Also, they generally place their markets in blue collar neighborhoods. Low real estate prices, but not distressed neighborhoods. Think elderly whites in 2 bedroom bungalows.

BucEyedPea 05-10-2014 03:13 PM

I agree that this would be a better idea:
U.S. federal government workers are rich, making twice what the poor middle-class makes in the private sector. So, cut the rich government workers’ salaries in half, “redistributing” the money back to poor middle-class taxpayers by cutting their federal taxes in half — thus allowing them to survive, instead of squirming in poverty.~ John Seiler
Link :thumb:
O.M.G.

InChiefsHell 05-10-2014 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10620562)
Aldis has the most unique business model in supermarkets.

The sell off-brand and economy foodstuffs, mostly staples, with a few 'fancy' [private label fresh salsas, chicken salads, cheeses, Mama Cozzi fresh bake at home pizzas, private label frozen seafood] items borrowed from their sister market Trader Joe's. They don't hire cart wranglers because they have a system where you put a quarter in a mechanism to get a cart, and get that quarter back [there you go inmem] when you return it to the stack yourself. All bags cost you, or you bring your own. Cashiers are much more responsible because they ring things up from memory of the costs of all inventory, so they don't have to pay for UPC. No credit cards, so no percentage paid to CC. Debit or cash only. Also, they generally place their markets in blue collar neighborhoods. Low real estate prices, but not distressed neighborhoods. Think elderly whites in 2 bedroom bungalows.

holy shit. that's amazing! I did not know that. We have an Aldi close to us, but I don't really go there much. Maybe I should...


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.