ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Gates near Sports Complex Should Start Re-Building Soon! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=294995)

gblowfish 10-01-2015 11:53 AM

Gates near Sports Complex Should Start Re-Building Soon!

This from the Independence Examiner a few days ago. It won't help Chiefs fans this year, but should be back before the MLB All Star Break next year.

Story is here:

Posted Sep. 16, 2015 at 5:56 AM

Independence, Mo.

It’s taken a longer than first expected, but the new Gates Bar-B-Q on U.S. 40 in Independence should be under construction soon. A fire gutted the 36-year-old restaurant in February.

The company had hoped to reopen, as principal George Gates put it, in time for the Chiefs appearance in the Super Bowl, but insurance and drawing up plans for a restaurant that meets today’s city codes took some time. The company recently got city approval, and Gates says a groundbreaking could be held yet this month.

So when do we get ribs and sweet-potato pies?

“Before the Fourth of July, for sure,” Gates said.

“It’ll be bigger and better and more efficient and comfortable,” he said.

He stressed that the city has been good to work with.

“They are a great city,” he said.

Dartgod 10-01-2015 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 11768308)
The company had hoped to reopen, as principal George Gates put it, in time for the Chiefs appearance in the Super Bowl...

Why so long?

TribalElder 10-01-2015 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 11768362)
Why so long?

Insurance scams make people wait and avoid pushing the issue regarding payout to avoid suspicion

BigMeatballDave 10-01-2015 12:33 PM

Is that the Gates this is across from a Walmart that was once Blue Ridge Mall, many moons ago?

gblowfish 10-01-2015 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballDave (Post 11768386)
Is that the Gates this is across from a Walmart that was once Blue Ridge Mall, many moons ago?

It's actually about a half mile west of the Blue Ridge Mall on US 40. If you're familiar with Cool Crest, it's about 100 yards west of there on the opposite side of the street.

Dartgod 10-01-2015 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 11768377)
Insurance scams make people wait and avoid pushing the issue regarding payout to avoid suspicion

Perhaps I should have worded that differently.

The owner said that they would be open by the time the Chiefs appeared in the Super Bowl. Surely they can build a restaurant quicker than that.

Dave Lane 10-01-2015 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 11768377)

His post

>>>>You.

BigMeatballDave 10-01-2015 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 11768391)
It's actually about a half mile west of the Blue Ridge Mall on US 40. If you're familiar with Cool Crest, it's about 100 yards west of there on the opposite side of the street.

Ah, yeah. I really had to dig deep to remember that. Loved Cool Crest.

I used to live off Raytown Rd. right near the Stadiums. That was 19 yrs ago.

gblowfish 01-04-2017 02:10 PM

Talked to a Guy at Gates today, he said 40 Highway location should re-open sometime in January.

BWillie 01-04-2017 02:42 PM

Still haven't figured out why Kansas City doesn't make a little entertainment district on top of the hill. Knock down Dennys, take out a few of those houses. Make something worth while around there.

Ken Bone 01-04-2017 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 12660300)
Talked to a Guy at Gates today, he said 40 Highway location should re-open sometime in January.

I wonder why it's taken them nearly 2 years to rebuild. Has Ollie Gates been rebuilding that place by himself brick by brick?

MahiMike 01-04-2017 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 11768391)

I remember playing golf at cool crest.

Mama Hip Rockets 01-04-2017 05:21 PM

While we're talking about BBQ, does anybody have any idea what time LC's opens on Chiefs game days? I was thinking about going there before the playoff game.

Deberg_1990 01-04-2017 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 12660366)
Still haven't figured out why Kansas City doesn't make a little entertainment district on top of the hill. Knock down Dennys, take out a few of those houses. Make something worth while around there.

I'm sure there's a lot of reasons why, but yea. It's mind boggling why KC never built much up around there.

Taco Bell and Dennys is laughable

C3HIEF3S 01-04-2017 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 12660366)

Agreed 100%. I don't care if they have to make a carbon copy of Ballpark Village, it'd be awesome to develop that area. Put a Fox Sports KC bar in there, or anything at this point.