ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink How do you feel about Popeyes chicken? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=275171)

JimNasium 08-08-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9868116)
Typical crack head.

Ever since they had Willie Mae's on the Travel Channel the tourists have been going there and that's what this crack head was after.

That's the 7th Ward isn't it?

JimNasium 08-08-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9868108)
They close at 2pm

I love their butter beans. I tried to replicate them at home and failed miserably.

Stewie 08-08-2013 12:53 PM

I like Popeye's, especially their red beans and rice.

On a side note: The crappy Quiznos by my work went out of business. I don't know how they stayed in business as long as they did.

J Diddy 08-08-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverDanChiefsFan (Post 9867957)
Haven't had good fried chicken since I graduated college in 1990.
Nothing like the chicken in SE KS. Chicken Annies and Bartos FTW.

Don't forget Gebhardts.

Frazod 08-08-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9868152)
I love Popeye's.

My aunt lived in Metairie, La. in the 1970s and said the original Popeye's there was MUCH spicier, but they had to tone it down when it went national because most people's taste buds couldn't handle it.

I remember back in the late 80s KFC had spicy chicken that was hot as hell. It was delicious (and brutal a few hours later, too). Better and spicier than Popeye's. It's a shame they discontinued it.

blaise 08-08-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 9868206)
I like Popeye's, especially their red beans and rice.

On a side note: The crappy Quiznos by my work went out of business. I don't know how they stayed in business as long as they did.

I hate how Quiznos measures out the meat and if it's too much they take away the tiniest little piece to make it even.

unlurking 08-08-2013 01:14 PM

Love Popeye's.

Anyone try the chicken and waffles strips?

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/f...ate-the-taste/

houstonwhodat 08-08-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimNasium (Post 9868203)
I love their butter beans. I tried to replicate them at home and failed miserably.

The key is pickled pork.

That's what they simmer them with, same as red beans, bay leaf, etc.

Very hard to find, I can't even find it here in Houston but that's what that special something is. Plus the right seasonings of course. Probably some bacon fat.

There's a company out there called Blue Runner from New Orleans that sells Red Beans & Butter Beans in a can all creamy and shit. Just add water or chicken stock. You can find them in some stores not sure about your area.

It's the closest thing you can find close to home cooked simmered for several hours beans. Just add rice. Only about 1.00 per can too. I eat the Blue Runner red beans all the time.

http://www.bluerunnerfoods.com/

houstonwhodat 08-08-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimNasium (Post 9868191)
That's the 7th Ward isn't it?

I forget.

It' definitely thug central.

There's a reason they close at 2pm.

I don't think even they want to be in that neighborhood later in the day.

Willie Mae's is good but you can do better for real cajun food.

Willie Mae's is more soul food than anything.

BigOlChiefsfan 08-08-2013 01:41 PM

Married a gal from New Orleans - you want to go anywhere but in the 'Quarter or out in the 'burbs, you get in a cab. "Don't get excited, call United!" is more than just a slogan down there. I may not be real smart, but I know better than to cross Rampart Street on foot.

Hereabouts, I like Popeyes fine - their sides rule. But when I want chicken I usually hit 'Go Chicken Go' for an order of chicken livers & hot sauce. Cholesterol? Who you talking to?

Dayze 08-08-2013 01:49 PM

never had it.

Mr. Flopnuts 08-08-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 9867980)
Bojangles chicken is good (certainly better than a Zaxby's chicken strip. C'mon, y'all.), though not as good as Popeye's. But the main point of Bojangles is their biscuits. The Cajun Filet biscuit is perhaps the best fast food sandwich in America.

:clap: Amen. Reaper can add food to his list of knowledge. This post is as spot on as a chicken post can be spot on. Bojangles biscuits is their claim to fame. Popeye's is the shit! Head exploding goodness would be some popeye's chicken on a Bojangles biscuit. Like, whoa!

hometeam 08-08-2013 01:52 PM

Better than Chik Fil A.

I have to travel to STL a couple times a month and always stop at the one in the travel station just to the west on I-70~

BigMeatballDave 08-08-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 9868361)
Better than Chik Fil A.

~

LMAO No ****ing way.

BigMeatballDave 08-08-2013 01:57 PM

Popeyes is okay.

Haven't tried Bojangles or Zaxby's.

Hardee's chicken strips are good.