ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Brad Pitt & World War Z (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=254622)

Ebolapox 11-09-2012 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9100210)
Any reasonably in-shape person has nothing to fear with slow zombies. ****, you can just power-walk away.

that's not at all the point. the point is that, regardless of speed, you're fighting an army that has limitless resources--you kill one of them, they're gone (-1). they take one of yours and gain one at the same time (a swing of 2 for them). after a while, considering there are no logistics lines you can cut, they don't need food, water, sleep, there's no 'leadership' to assassinate, and they survive under the ocean, where there is no oxygen, etc--it's beyond a nightmare ALREADY. having them run is just bullshit.

jiveturkey 11-09-2012 08:47 AM

It doesn't look like the book but it looks pretty ****ing spectacular IMO.

notorious 11-09-2012 08:58 AM

I think it looked good.

The zombies move like flowing water.

kaplin42 11-09-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h5n1 (Post 9100473)
the book is great. and yeah, running zombies is bullshit in this scenario.

the book was more a 'documentary,' basically interviews/people's views of AFTER the war is over as it were. this looks NOTHING like that.

Exactly what I thought. Movie looks stupid, which is sad cause the book was awesome.

listopencil 11-09-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9100196)
Slow zombies do nothing for me personally.

Yeah, this. I typically don't care for zombie movies because they shamble after you. It's boring. Lots of "tense" moments with the lead actors wringing their hands and talking. Interject a slowly moving corpse. Oh no, we have to shoot it in the head sometime within the next twenty minutes, it's seven feet away. Ooooh. Scary. Oh look. There are a bunch of them between us and the car. Oh the horror. This looks better.

Valiant 11-09-2012 11:02 AM

I don't know. I think most of man is to a point we would own a slow zombie outbreak.

Fast zombies? We are screwed. I always liked the idea of zombies getting slower over time depending on if they had a food source.

listopencil 11-09-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 9101080)
I don't know. I think most of man is to a point we would own a slow zombie outbreak.

Fast zombies? We are screwed. I always liked the idea of zombies getting slower over time depending on if they had a food source.

I live in California. I deal with slow zombies on a daily basis. They don't scare me.

Huffmeister 11-09-2012 11:48 AM

I've got nothing against fast zombies (the opening sequence to 28 Weeks Later is terrifying). And standing on its own, this trailer looks awesome. However, calling it "World War Z" makes me a bit disappointed. It seems like they just bought the rights just so that they could slap the title on their own zombie movie.

That being said, I'll still see it. And I hope they do a trilogy that covers the scope of the book: outbreak, living in a zombie world, and retaking the planet.

Deberg_1990 11-09-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 9101175)
However, calling it "World War Z" makes me a bit disappointed. It seems like they just bought the rights just so that they could slap the title on their own zombie movie.

New to movies are you?

Sorter 11-09-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 9101074)
Yeah, this. I typically don't care for zombie movies because they shamble after you. It's boring. Lots of "tense" moments with the lead actors wringing their hands and talking. Interject a slowly moving corpse. Oh no, we have to shoot it in the head sometime within the next twenty minutes, it's seven feet away. Ooooh. Scary. Oh look. There are a bunch of them between us and the car. Oh the horror. This looks better.

Definitely. Just power-walk away. LMAO

Sorter 11-09-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 9101082)
I live in California. I deal with slow zombies on a daily basis. They don't scare me.

Boom, roasted.

ThaVirus 11-09-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h5n1 (Post 9100475)
that's not at all the point. the point is that, regardless of speed, you're fighting an army that has limitless resources--you kill one of them, they're gone (-1). they take one of yours and gain one at the same time (a swing of 2 for them). after a while, considering there are no logistics lines you can cut, they don't need food, water, sleep, there's no 'leadership' to assassinate, and they survive under the ocean, where there is no oxygen, etc--it's beyond a nightmare ALREADY. having them run is just bullshit.

Yeah, this is a solid take, but I'm in the "slow zombies do nothing for me" camp.

The thing about slow zombies is exactly like you said. There's a sense of dread and fear in knowing that, although you can avoid and pick off small numbers of them, in the end, you're essentially dealing with 6 billion more. They don't eat, they don't sleep, and their moaning/pounding on your doors/shuffling around WILL NEVER STOP. It's a battle you'll never be able to win; you can only hope to remain relatively safe and adapt to a new life with the constant danger of being overwhelmed and overrun.

BUT, I like fast zombies for all of that, and the chase scenes in films. There's just a more severe sense of urgency when the zombies can move quickly. Like someone mentioned earlier, the opening scene of 28 Weeks Later is legitimately the most intense movie scene I can think of in recent times, and that was due entirely to the fact that the 'zombies' could run. Also, the Dawn of the Dead remake is my favorite zombie flick of all time and I thought they did a great job with the running zombies.

Huffmeister 11-09-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9101203)
New to movies are you?

Usually when a movie is based on a book (or other source material), it contains at least some parts of it like characters, locations, scenes, etc. So far, the only connections I've seen between the movie and the book are the title and zombies. And 'maybe' the theme of a more global perspective of a zombie outbreak, but we'll have to see.

bevischief 11-09-2012 12:54 PM

Nothing like the book, but I will wait till it comes out on DVD.

Ebolapox 11-09-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 9101306)
Yeah, this is a solid take, but I'm in the "slow zombies do nothing for me" camp.

The thing about slow zombies is exactly like you said. There's a sense of dread and fear in knowing that, although you can avoid and pick off small numbers of them, in the end, you're essentially dealing with 6 billion more. They don't eat, they don't sleep, and their moaning/pounding on your doors/shuffling around WILL NEVER STOP. It's a battle you'll never be able to win; you can only hope to remain relatively safe and adapt to a new life with the constant danger of being overwhelmed and overrun.

BUT, I like fast zombies for all of that, and the chase scenes in films. There's just a more severe sense of urgency when the zombies can move quickly. Like someone mentioned earlier, the opening scene of 28 Weeks Later is legitimately the most intense movie scene I can think of in recent times, and that was due entirely to the fact that the 'zombies' could run. Also, the Dawn of the Dead remake is my favorite zombie flick of all time and I thought they did a great job with the running zombies.

the problem with this for adapting the BOOK is that there is a pivotal point where they explain how they take back the country/world... that will be VERY difficult to do with fast zombies. they set up a perimeter, have a ton of ammo, and just shoot, take a second, shoot, reload (your partner takes your place), and it's like ****ing CLOCKWORK. it's very poignant that they finally take it back when they use their heads, use their strengths, and use precision... you CAN'T DO THAT SHIT against a horde of running zombies.