ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Home AV Question (I'm an Idiot) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=265602)

Hoover 10-24-2012 09:24 AM

Home AV Question (I'm an Idiot)

The wife and I built a house a couple years ago. We are just now getting around to getting a TV to mount over the fireplace. When we build the house we ran an HDMI cable from the back of the fireplace to the hall closet which will house all of the TV components (blu-ray, sound, TV box). There is power, internet, and TV hookups in the closet.

While we are pre-wired for surround sound in the ceiling. We have decided to not put speakers in the ceiling for aesthetic reasons. We also plan to put a man-cave in the basement next year so feel its not necessary to do up stairs.

Instead we want to have a sound bar with the TV with a wireless subwoofer.

Here is my question.

Is the sound bar wired to the TV and then the TV is linked via the HDMI cable or am I going to have to run a cable from the sound bar to the power unit.

dmahurin 10-24-2012 10:55 AM

It depends on the sound bar. Mine is wired straight to my tv. They make wireless ones now too.

Fansy the Famous Bard 10-24-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmahurin (Post 9045314)
It depends on the sound bar. Mine is wired straight to my tv. They make wireless ones now too.

You should be able to do it in multiple fashions. However, it depends on how you're setup is.

htismaqe 10-24-2012 11:13 AM

In general, you don't want to run sound to the TV and THEN to the soundbar.

The digital signal from the HDMI has to be decoded by your TV. Your TV decodes it, then turns around and RE-ENCODES it to output it to your soundbar.

All of that takes time, and even though it's just milliseconds, it will often produce a condition where the sound is out-of-sync with the video.

DaneMcCloud 10-24-2012 03:06 PM

I'd connect an optical cable from your TV receiver to the sound bar.

Done.

DJ's left nut 10-24-2012 03:24 PM

Why don't you want to get recessed speakers? They can be put into the ceiling without being overtly noticeable and the sound quality is generally significantly better.

Just a thought.

Jewish Rabbi 10-24-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9046090)
I'd connect an optical cable from your TV receiver to the sound bar.

Done.

This. Although it may be a bitch hiding that cable depending on the placement of everything.

Hoover 10-24-2012 11:48 PM

Thanks guys. I think my problem was that I was looking at a Sony, which has an attached speaker cable. Different brand solved the problem.

Swanman 10-25-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9046154)
Why don't you want to get recessed speakers? They can be put into the ceiling without being overtly noticeable and the sound quality is generally significantly better.

Just a thought.

I have recessed speakers in my basement theater and they rule. I have 7.1 with the 4 surround speakers in the celing over the seating area. They have magnetic speaker covers that look great.