ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Humbling story (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=164826)

Phobia 06-20-2007 11:47 PM

Humbling story

Generally, spring, summer, and fall are incredibly busy for me. This year has been slightly different. In fact, this last month has been rough. I bid a few good jobs and felt confident I would land several. For various reasons (usually because I was outbid), I didn't. So a couple weeks ago the wife tells me we're running short and I needed "X" amount of dollars by the end of the week.

I had been talking to a member of this board about doing his basement, kitchen, and painting his house exterior so I contacted him and told him I'd paint his house for peanuts. Literally, I bid it for about 40% of what I'd normally charge just so I could generate some cash flow.

Obviously, the guy jumped all over the deal and I started painting and repairing wood rot a couple days afterwards.

Then comes the surprising part of the story.... Bill Lundberg approached me and told me that he and his wife had spoken and they weren't going to allow me to paint their house for the amount I had quoted.... They were going to double it - and they did. I just finished touching up everything tonight and got my final check.

I'm not sure if they knew how much it meant to my family, but it couldn't have come at a better time. I didn't really want to tell this story on the board, but I wanted to thank Bill Lundberg and his wife for their generosity and decency towards me.

I don't know anything about how Bill Lundberg runs his mortgage business, but he's earned my business the next time I'm in the market. So, if you're looking for a virtuous individual to handle your mortgage I'd expect this guy will definitely take good care of you.

luv 06-20-2007 11:50 PM

I can't think of many who would be more deserving.

booger 06-20-2007 11:51 PM

Well from reading different stuff in the past you seem to do good things for other people. Sometimes when that happens it all comes around and good things come to you.

They sound like good people.

Good luck with the future jobs.

I don't have a wife or kids but I do know what it's like having to live paycheck to paycheck in tough times.

All around good story for everyone involved.

SPchief 06-20-2007 11:52 PM

Good story.

Sure-Oz 06-20-2007 11:54 PM

sweet

chief52 06-20-2007 11:56 PM

Good Action, Phil. What a classy move on Bill's part.

Hope it is the start of a good run for you. That is the way contracting can be. Maybe it will be a busy fall, winter...who knows.

It sucks being underbid...but it sometimes sucks more to be the " low bidder"!

Mr. Kotter 06-20-2007 11:56 PM

I guess I'll remove him from the....

"Bloodthirsty greedy self-serving bastards of the board" threesome I was about to post, in SimplyRed's thread :hmmm:

Great story. If we ever move to KC, I guess I'll try to remember to shoot him a PM. :hmmm:

:clap:

Phobia 06-20-2007 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Kotter
IGreat story. If we ever move to KC, I guess I'll try to remember to shoot him a PM. :hmmm:

:clap:

Yeah, please do. They're good people, which is the point of this thread. Hopefully it will come around for them now.

stumppy 06-21-2007 12:00 AM

People can suprise you in the best ways sometimes.
That is a very admirable thing they did. As is you being humble enough to post it for all to see.

Jenson71 06-21-2007 12:01 AM

Riiiiight. I'll give him some reeeeeppp.

Classy gentleman.

Phobia 06-21-2007 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chief52
It sucks being underbid...but it sometimes sucks more to be the " low bidder"!

Heh heh. True. Been there.

This was a first for me though. My first large job when I dove into the contracting gig earned me a $50 tip on payday. Hasn't happened since. In fact, quite the opposite - many times.

007 06-21-2007 12:03 AM

I need to pic your brain on bathroom remodeling sometime Phil.

Phobia 06-21-2007 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru
I need to pic your brain on bathroom remodeling sometime Phil.

Anytime, dude. Bathrooms and kitchens are my favorites.

luv 06-21-2007 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia
Anytime, dude. Bathrooms and kitchens are my favorites.

Those make you the most $$$.

crazycoffey 06-21-2007 12:06 AM

Can you do any work in St. louis? We are planning Windows, Building a Garage, and finishing the Basement sometime in the near future....