ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Sporting KC Forbes | Sporting Park: One of America's Best Sporting Experiences (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271896)

|Zach| 04-08-2013 10:20 PM

Forbes | Sporting Park: One of America's Best Sporting Experiences

Sporting Park: One of America's Best Sporting Experiences

http://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/2...g-experiences/

From a consumer’s perspective, Sporting KC is among America’s best sporting experiences.

Bold statement? Perhaps, and not one that would likely apply to sports fans who cannot stand soccer.

But when you consider all the things that make a person’s complete consumption experience at a sporting event enjoyable and memorable, Sporting KC takes a back seat to few within the professional sports realm.

And from a broader perspective, the Kansas City region (both in Missouri and Kansas) is slowly seeing the economic fruits of its various regional development projects.

FANTASTIC CONSUMER EXPERIENCE AT SPORTING PARK

On March 30th, we attended a Saturday night match-up between Sporting KC and Montreal Impact. A highly anticipated affair given that Montreal came into the match with an unbeaten 4-0 mark, facing a home side that was the defending 2012 Eastern Conference champions.

We had some inkling as to what kind of afternoon/evening we were in store for based on my previous experience at the facility for the USA v Guatemala World Cup qualifying match in October 2012. But whereas nationalistic spirit was on display that night, what we were treated to on this night was Blue Heaven.

There are numerous attributes that comprise a consumer’s total sports experience:

- Facility

Sporting Park is first-rate, and it is no surprise that USA Soccer is heading back there October 11th for their final home World Cup qualifier versus Jamaica.

An open-air facility, Sporting Park is architecturally designed such that most if not all the seats are covered from the elements. Furthermore, this design traps fan noise within the facility…creating more of a home field advantage.

My co-author herein, a former Division I soccer player who has attended numerous professional soccer matches both in the United States and in Europe including the 2006 World Cup in Germany, noted that the stadium is as good as he has seen for a stadium of its size…and that includes stadiums that have hosted World Cup matches and important club competitions.

- Fans

Boisterous, engaged, united, and educated. What more can you ask for.

Walking into the stadium, numerous people had scarves and jerseys representing the team’s colors. The atmosphere felt like a proper soccer match…almost as if attending a professional match in Europe.

Additionally, most of the more ardent supporters had chants memorized which permeated throughout the stadium. Given the crowd noise throughout the match, many media members were shocked that the attendance wasn’t greater than the reported 18,609 in attendance.

- Complementary consumer activity

Conveniently built next to the Legends Outlets, Warren Buffet-owned Nebraska Furniture Mart, Cabela’s outdoor recreation merchandise and outfitter, and the Kansas Motor Speedway, there are countless ways to entertain oneself and make a full afternoon/evening of it.

- Ease of transportation

Though a 15-minute drive west of downtown Kansas City, the facility is less than 2 miles off Interstate 70. And since crowd sizes are between 18-20 K, traffic before and after games is highly manageable.

SPORTING KC PART OF A BROADER RE-BRANDING EFFORT IN KANSAS CITY

Long known for their tasty barbecue, the elegant Plaza, and home to rabid Chiefs football fans, the Kansas City region has become a better destination for out-of-town visitors/events thanks to a myriad of both urban developments (Power and Light District most notably) and sports facilities (Kansas Motor Speedway, Sprint Center, and Sporting Park).

There is no doubt, however, that the success of Sporting KC in recent years has led to the additional visibility associated with the U.S. National Team performing in K.C.

In 2011 and 2012 respectively, Sporting KC averaged 17,810 and 19,404 fans…among the league’s best. And in light of all the factors that build upon a fan’s high-quality sporting experience, combined with the decided home-field advantage that Sporting KC enjoys at Sporting Park in part due to its loyal supporters, it is no surprise that this facility has become a must-have on Team USA’s home qualifying schedule.

And why a trip to Sporting Park is a must-see sporting spectacle. Certainly if you are a soccer fan, and more generally, for sports consumers who simply appreciate a superior sports consumption experience.

Mother****erJones 04-08-2013 10:24 PM

Suck it Jerry Jones!

TLO 04-08-2013 11:22 PM

Stop flaunting your asshole |douche|

AussieChiefsFan 04-08-2013 11:25 PM

Awesome. One day Ill make it to both Arrowhead and Sporting Park, and that will be a good day.

BryanBusby 04-09-2013 01:11 AM

Amount of ****s given: 0

|Zach| 04-09-2013 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 9570352)
Amount of ****s given: 0

Hi

Hammock Parties 04-09-2013 01:31 AM

There would be literally 0 soccer talk here, a forum about all kinds of different sports, if Zach didn't shit it all over us. He is the only one posting this garbage.

ONE OF AMERICA'S BEST SPORTING EXPERIENCES BROS

BryanBusby 04-09-2013 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 9570356)
Hi

sup

teedubya 04-09-2013 01:37 AM

How much are tickets typically, Zach? I've taken my son with 2 free tickets once... I'd like to take my wife, son and daughter to a game... the first time we went, we had fun.

Titty Meat 04-09-2013 01:48 AM

No1curr

|Zach| 04-09-2013 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teedubya (Post 9570364)
How much are tickets typically, Zach? I've taken my son with 2 free tickets once... I'd like to take my wife, son and daughter to a game... the first time we went, we had fun.

If you are doing the family thing the "south stands" is prob the best way to go...it is GA but more family friendly than the Cauldron 25ea or so. Hit me up if you need me to facilitate that the sooner the better.

Often times around 1k more people attend games than there are seats.

|Zach| 04-09-2013 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9570368)
No1curr

Hi

KurtCobain 04-09-2013 02:00 AM

I really should check it out. Want to kinda.

|Zach| 04-09-2013 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by something cooler (Post 9570380)
I really should check it out. Want to kinda.

Good times.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/R1asQKfKrRk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hammock Parties 04-09-2013 02:05 AM

God that's ****ing awful. That's a professional sporting event? Seems like a ****ing lame ass high school game.

|Zach| 04-09-2013 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9570383)
God that's ****ing awful. That's a professional sporting event? Seems like a ****ing lame ass high school game.

What about it exactly?

|Zach| 04-09-2013 02:10 AM

Sweet high school though.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/n29a72tlneI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

|Zach| 04-09-2013 02:11 AM

I never even saw this video from the other night. From 3 angles.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LSty0jqobN8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KurtCobain 04-09-2013 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 9570382)
Good times.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/R1asQKfKrRk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A few questions if you don't mind...

Am I correct that there are three periods instead of two halves? How long is the intermission between these periods? What's the price of a beer? Other concessions? Finally, what are 'corner kicks' and 'power playa'?

|Zach| 04-09-2013 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by something cooler (Post 9570391)
A few questions if you don't mind...

Am I correct that there are three periods instead of two halves? How long is the intermission between these periods? What's the price of a beer? Other concessions? Finally, what are 'corner kicks' and 'power playa'?

Haha...are you trolling me?

Oh well you prob are...

Two 45 min halves (plus a few mins tacked on) with a halftime that seems the same as NFL never really thought about it.

Beer is 3 bucks before the game and 6-11 depending on what you get in game.

Corner kicks are corner kicks there are no power plays.

KurtCobain 04-09-2013 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 9570393)
Haha...are you trolling me?

Oh well you prob are...

Two 45 min halves (plus a few mins tacked on) with a halftime that seems the same as NFL never really thought about it.

Beer is 3 bucks before the game and 6-11 depending on what you get in game.

Corner kicks are corner kicks there are no power plays.

I think I've gotten hockey and soccer confused.

Not trolling, just interested.

So the corner kicks, why do they get to do those? I've caught a couple soccer games on TV kind of, and seems like they do that alot.

|Zach| 04-09-2013 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by something cooler (Post 9570403)
I think I've gotten hockey and soccer confused.

Not trolling, just interested.

So the corner kicks, why do they get to do those? I've caught a couple soccer games on TV kind of, and seems like they do that alot.

Depends on the style of play...in KC they attack a lot so it happens often.

Think of the possession rules in this instance similar to basketball...if your team is the last team to touch it then the other team gets the ball.

In soccer if the other team is the last team to touch the ball and it goes out the back of their end of the field and not the side you are awarded a corner kick. So say you shoot the ball and the goalie blocks it but it goes out of bounds it was last off of him so it is a corner kick for you.

This creates a dangerous situation for the defense if you want to limit goals you want to limit corner kicks you give up.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3p41i_X0J5o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KurtCobain 04-09-2013 02:59 AM

I get you. So you'd never see a guy just throw it in from beside the goal post, right?

I hate taking people to royals, tigers and chiefs games when they don't know what the **** is going on. That's the main thing that keeps me from going to a sporting game, I don't want to be that guy.

threebag 04-09-2013 03:04 AM

Cauterizing Your Asshole > Shitting Through Cauterized Asshole > Soccer

KurtCobain 04-09-2013 03:04 AM

Also, I like the concept of that rule. I bet soccer coaches or coordinators design some killer plays around those corner kicks.

|Zach| 04-09-2013 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by something cooler (Post 9570408)
I get you. So you'd never see a guy just throw it in from beside the goal post, right?

I hate taking people to royals, tigers and chiefs games when they don't know what the **** is going on. That's the main thing that keeps me from going to a sporting game, I don't want to be that guy.

Haha, everyone has to learn somehow.

But yea you will never seen a throw in from the back (the endline)

If it goes out on either of the sides then that is where a guy will throw the ball back in... where ever it went out...in that case very similar to basketball.

No power plays foul wise...fouls are hard to explain but generally you have to play the ball and not the man. If a foul is committed the advantage is a free kick. So if your guy gets fouled? He gets to kick the ball at the spot of the foul with the defense giving him about 10 yards cushing. The closer it happens to the goal the more dangerous. Even if it is far away it creates a free chance to advance your offense without interference.

A bad foul...or harmful foul...or a foul that was obviously done to keep the opposition from being in a great position (like getting beat by an offensive player and just dragging him down) will earn you a yellow card. It is like warning. Two yellows cards and you are ejected.

If you do something dangerous that could obviously cause harm or if you are wreckless you get a red card. That is an immediate ejection. You also get a red for denying and obvious goal scoring opportunity. (tackling a guy who is about to score a goal on you something like that)

|Zach| 04-09-2013 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by something cooler (Post 9570412)
Also, I like the concept of that rule. I bet soccer coaches or coordinators design some killer plays around those corner kicks.

No doubt.

It puts goalies in an awkward position of going out to try and knock out a ball coming their way...they can be bold and try to clear it out and risk getting beat to it or they can be conservative and risk it connecting well with an opposing offensive player.

Some guys (and this is rare) are good enough to kick it in by curling it directling from the corner position.

At 53 seconds.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JiNW5Ctu66c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Goldmember 04-09-2013 07:34 AM

I'm not a soccer fan but bought a Groupon deal, either last year or the year before, and went to a game, mostly to check out the new stadium. The crowd was very enthusiastic and loud. The game was pretty entertaining as it was pretty physical for a soccer game. I can see where the younger fans are attracted to a successful franchise. After all, most grew up watching the Royals suck year after year, now the Chiefs do. I can see where fans look to other sports. Fans like winners.

Deberg_1990 04-09-2013 07:43 AM

heh, got to question |Zach|s timing with these soccer threads. He always manages create or bump them on significant event days for the Royals and Chiefs. Coincidence?

Gonzo 04-09-2013 07:52 AM

I wonder if there's a soccer hall of fame? If so, it's probably the size of a highway rest area, right? I mean the only busts enshrined there would be that guy Pele and Posh Spice's husband.

Titty Meat 04-09-2013 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 9570554)
I wonder if there's a soccer hall of fame? If so, it's probably the size of a highway rest area, right? I mean the only busts enshrined there would be that guy Pele and Posh Spice's husband.

They probably don't call it the hall of fame and the requirements to get in are probably ass backwards like the rules of soccer are.

Deberg_1990 04-09-2013 11:06 AM

uh oh.....Whats he implying here?

http://www.kcconfidential.com/2013/0...ts/#more-10903

It’s a clean cut crowd, too.

A little too clean cut by my measure. Because if soccer is to truly succeed here, the unwashed need to be a part of the equation.

Ever gone to a Chiefs game at Arrowhead?

I hesitate to use the word rabble, but I can’t imagine anybody characterizing a Chiefs crowd as clean cut. Not even close.

|Zach| 04-09-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9570539)
heh, got to question |Zach|s timing with these soccer threads. He always manages create or bump them on significant event days for the Royals and Chiefs. Coincidence?

I posted this on the date it was published and I update the game thread as games happen.

|Zach| 04-09-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9571102)
uh oh.....Whats he implying here?

http://www.kcconfidential.com/2013/0...ts/#more-10903

It’s a clean cut crowd, too.

A little too clean cut by my measure. Because if soccer is to truly succeed here, the unwashed need to be a part of the equation.

Ever gone to a Chiefs game at Arrowhead?

I hesitate to use the word rabble, but I can’t imagine anybody characterizing a Chiefs crowd as clean cut. Not even close.

Silly characterization.

The cheapest seats...and season tickets...have a club all to themselves and amazing seats.

They have not priced out the average fan.

Chief_For_Life58 04-09-2013 11:30 AM

whats soccer?

Deberg_1990 04-09-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 9571142)
I posted this on the date it was published and I update the game thread as games happen.

Maybe its just my imagination then.

DJJasonp 04-09-2013 11:41 AM

would love to make the trip back there, and have first sporting park experience be the world cup qualifier in October!

Saul Good 04-09-2013 11:50 AM

I've never heard anyone say a negative thing about a SKC game. I really want to go to a couple this year. I went to a Mavericks game last weekend, and it was a good time.

Between the newly rennovated Kauffman and Arrowhead, Livestrong, the Sprint Center, the Independence Events Center, the Speedway, Community America Ballpark, and the Kauffman Center, this city has some of the best facilities in the world to see an event/show.

Deberg_1990 04-09-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9571190)
Between the newly rennovated Kauffman and Arrowhead, Livestrong, the Sprint Center, the Independence Events Center, the Speedway, Community America Ballpark, and the Kauffman Center, this city has some of the best facilities in the world to see an event/show.

yep. ill never understand why some people still think of KC as a cowtown? Its a world class city.

|Zach| 04-09-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJJasonp (Post 9571177)
would love to make the trip back there, and have first sporting park experience be the world cup qualifier in October!

Shit is gonna be crazy for that game can't wait.

RunKC 04-09-2013 02:18 PM

Fact: last year Sporting KC was the place to be and nobody gave a shit about the Chiefs or Royals.

Another fact: Sporting KC actually gets to the playoffs and wins games.

Thig Lyfe 04-09-2013 04:57 PM

yo I can't believe a bunch of people who hate soccer are posting in this thread about soccer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hammock Parties 04-09-2013 04:58 PM

how much are the tickets? like $10?

Pablo 04-09-2013 05:06 PM

I'll probably hit up a couple of games this summer. Not much on the actual game of soccer, but the atmosphere is fun and the park is a beauty.

Holladay 04-09-2013 05:09 PM

There is now a generation + that grew up playing some sort of youth soccer. Thus the fandom. I'd like to go someday.

In the vids, hard to picture the size. Was stated around 18-19k. Thats it? Doesnt Allen Fieldhouse hold 16k?

whoot 600

|Zach| 04-09-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9572235)
how much are the tickets? like $10?

If you are a member of one of the supporter groups about 25 if going through ticket master 37-45ish

RunKC 04-10-2013 06:33 PM

I got tickets for the stand up section on the walkway on top of the blue cauldron for like $15. Great view for the price.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...92442714_n.jpg

Hammock Parties 04-10-2013 06:34 PM

Holy shit that's tiny. http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/bowrofl.gif

KurtCobain 04-10-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9571650)
gets to the playoffs and wins games.

Well, not in the play offs, though.

|Zach| 04-10-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by something cooler (Post 9575782)
Well, not in the play offs, though.

They moved on in the playoffs year before last.

They won a game in the playoffs last year but did not move on in the the series.

AussieChiefsFan 04-11-2013 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 9576405)
They moved on in the playoffs year before last.

They won a game in the playoffs last year but did not move on in the the series.

After last years disappointingly early exit from the playoffs, this year feels like the year.

Mr. Plow 04-11-2013 06:49 AM

Been thinking of taking my kids up to see a game. Little boys are just getting into soccer. I'm not really a soccer fan, but they'd enjoy going to a big stadium & I'm sure I'd enjoy the atmosphere & beer. Might throw in a Royals game and make a weekend of it.

Pablo 04-11-2013 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan (Post 9577186)
After last years disappointingly early exit from the playoffs, this year feels like the year.

LMAO

This is the most KC sports sounding statement ever.

InChiefsHeaven 04-11-2013 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 9570382)
Good times.

Damn, that place looks pretty packed...I had no idea it was that popular.

Soccer's a whole other thing. When I was a kid I lived in Europe so I watched it a lot. Since then, not so much.

Donger 04-11-2013 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 9577303)

Soccer's a whole other thing. When I was a kid I lived in Europe so I watched it a lot. Since then, not so much.

What exactly was going on at the end? Some kind of gay orgy on the pitch?

|Zach| 04-11-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan (Post 9577186)

Still the best defense in the league and their ceiling on offense is higher this year.

Bieler has been a really great addition.

|Zach| 04-11-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 9577303)

They average more fans than there are seats.