ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals *** Official 2017 Royals Offseason Repository (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=303381)

duncan_idaho 11-03-2016 09:11 PM

*** Official 2017 Royals Offseason Repository ***

The reign is over. Time to begin the quest for the next one.

Interesting offseason opens for the Royals. Will they go all in for one last shot with this crew? Will they re-tool for 2018 and beyond? Will Dayton Moore actually decrease payroll this time?

Trades, free agent signings, rumors, plans, proposals... dump 'em all here, for this is... the offseason repository!

Royals Top Prospects, 2017

This is a list that’s going to seem a little bleak initially, as Raul Mondesi got enough ABs to age out of the prospect rankings (just barely – at 135 ABs, he is not rookie eligible). But that said, I like the talent and feel like this is a system that will actually be underrated by the prospect services.

Spoiler!

KCUnited 11-03-2016 09:11 PM

Just want to be first.

SAUTO 11-03-2016 09:12 PM

94 wins

ChiefsCountry 11-03-2016 09:13 PM

Lets win the whole thing again. This October was boring.

cabletech94 11-03-2016 09:14 PM

Here to represent!

come on 2017---back to the promised land!!!!

Canofbier 11-03-2016 09:15 PM

Getting in on page 1! Gonna have to update my avatar one of these days, though. Mondesi, maybe?

New World Order 11-03-2016 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canofbier (Post 12527946)
Getting in on page 1! Gonna have to update my avatar one of these days, though. Mondesi, maybe?

Let's go old school.

Ken Harvey

CaliforniaChief 11-03-2016 09:19 PM

Nice work Duncan! I'm in.

In terms of the offseason, I know things have been said about Beltran coming in as DH. I'm not so sure. Maybe I'm jaded by Soria, but a fascination with the past is no way to contend now.

I think we're going all in for 2018, honestly. I suspect that if that wasn't the case, Yost would likely retire and turn it over to a new manager (Ibanez?)

It will be nice to have Hochevar back along with Herrera, and I look forward to seeing who GMDM picks off the trash heap and turns into a bullpen stud.

I'm excited!

Prison Bitch 11-03-2016 09:27 PM

I really hope Dozier isn't our top prospect

Chiefspants 11-03-2016 09:39 PM

After a successful surgery, it's time for the Zimmer era, right?

https://media.giphy.com/media/G0zU8SswFuKDS/giphy.gif

Shogun 11-03-2016 09:40 PM

1st

mr. tegu 11-03-2016 10:01 PM

I really hope we can bring back Morales but it doesn't seem likely.

Pitt Gorilla 11-03-2016 10:07 PM

sexy time.

cosmo20002 11-03-2016 11:50 PM

It is weird living in a world where the Chicago Cubs have won a World Series in my lifetime. Or my dad's. Or anyone that is alive.

duncan_idaho 11-04-2016 06:03 AM

First steps as GM for me this offseason (if I'm calling the shots).

1) approach Hosmer about a long-term deal. Once that doesn't happen, you can move on to guys you actually have a shot with without offending anyone.

2) Get Duffy extended (4 years, 50ish million sounds about right). Backload that sucker and clear up payroll for 2017 (should be able to save 4-5 million off his arbitration figure).

2) Try to extend Moustakas. Something like Chase Headley's deal is what I've seen thrown around by a few others. Seems about right - 4 years, 50ish million. If he continues to perform like 2015, it's actually a good deal for the team and more neutral for him. Adds a layer of security for Moustakas.

I think that ends up being a win, anyway, as I think Moose's skills will age well into his early 30s compared to Cain and Hosmer.
Again, hopefully save around 4 million on 2017 salary.

3) try to extend Herrera. A little trickier and more risky, but still a move that adds long-term stability while hopefully freeing up a few million more in payroll room.

4) work with Greg Holland and Luke Hochevar on incentive-based deals. Don't need both of them, but adding at least one would help the pen a lot. If holland's elbow checks out and his slider is good, I'd lean that way.

5) Explore a Wade Davis trade. I'd need to be blown away, but if a team like the Nationals wants to give up a Reynaldo Lopez for him, I make the deal. Also think the Cubs would be an interesting partner (with Ian Happ as my top target), but they may need those bullets for Chris Archer. If you can't trade to bolster he rotation, I'd look at a guy like Henderson Alvarez in FA.

Based on those 5 things, stick a toe in the DH market. It's pretty flooded, and a SH or RH-hitting option makes a lot of sense for the Royals if you can do it on a one- or two-year deal for $10 million/year or less. Really need that bat hitting 5th behind Hosmer to lengthen the lineup, in my opinion.

This could be Beltran or Morales or Holliday or Steve Pearce. Aaron Hill also intrigues me a bit, could be really cheap and offer a little 3b insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk