ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   New (used) car advice needed (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=177895)

Lzen 01-02-2008 10:57 AM

New (used) car advice needed

Gonna get rid of the old POS GM minivan and go with a small SUV. Don't know that much about them. I'm currently looking at these types:

Ford Escape - currently looking at anywhere from '03 to '06 models
Mazda Tribute - have a couple '05 models in mind
Hyundai Tuscon - just looking for lower mileage....trying to stay below 50k (that applies to any vehicle we buy)
Jeep Liberty - Not sure if the cargo space is big enough, though....seems less than Escape/Tribute

Any and all comments are welcome. Please, if you have negative comments (i.e. "Fords suck" or "you should only buy Japanese"), please give explanations for you opinions. Thanks.

Baby Lee 01-02-2008 11:00 AM

'The Bronco’s been discontinued. We’re trying to shed that whole fugitive on the run thing. This is the Escape.'

Lzen 01-02-2008 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee
'The Bronco’s been discontinued. We’re trying to shed that whole fugitive on the run thing. This is the Escape.'

:LOL:

Fly O.T. McWall 01-02-2008 11:04 AM

any particular reason you're stuck on an suv?

gas prices ain't gonna trend down, that's for sure, and suvs typically are guzzlers... bad for the environment.

Infidel Goat 01-02-2008 11:06 AM

My wife drives a Subaru Forester, though she also considered the Honda CR-V.

I think that they are both good smaller SUVs and would prefer them to the ones you named because they have proved to be far more reliable over time as recorded in Consumer Reports.

Note: they are both Japanese models, but reliablity is the issue--particularly if you are buying a used model with little or no warrantly.

trndobrd 01-02-2008 11:30 AM

We recently test drove the Hyundai SantaFe, CRV, and X-Terra before purchasing an Acura MDX. Here are some initial thoughts..

The Santa Fe was a very nice little SUV. There are a couple engine options, the smaller V-6 seemed a little underpowered, so I would suggest the larger V-6. The model we test drove was front wheel drive only, but got through the snow with no problems. The interior was very roomy and generally comfortable, but the seats are kind of hard. Nice handling and smooth ride. Good value for the money.

My expectations for the CRV were higher. Maybe too high. The shorter wheel base translated to a harsher ride, even on an Accord platform. It is only offered in a 4 cylinder. Honda reliability is good, but that comes at a higher cost.

The X-Terra is more of a serious off-road vehicle. For a vehicle built on a truck platform, the ride was great. If you expect car/mini-van like ride and handling, you'll be disappointed. I test drove a 2wd version. Power seemed OK, but nothing spectacular. Very spacious, but spartan interior.

MDX. Firm ride but not rough. Most luxury minded of the four, leather everything, sunroof, etc. V-6 has plenty of power. Seats 7. Acura price is higher.

thehead 01-02-2008 11:33 AM

The wife has a 2003 ford v6 escape xlt 117000 no problems knock on wood, plenty of get up & go no rattles :)

Simply Red 01-02-2008 11:39 AM

Toyota Highlander. The new body style is nice.

Simply Red 01-02-2008 11:41 AM

Maybe a used Infiniti QX-4. I had a 2000 a few yrs. ago and really liked it. Chances are you can get a used one for reasonable. Only set-back is they too are disco'd.

Lzen 01-02-2008 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fly O.T. McWall
any particular reason you're stuck on an suv?

gas prices ain't gonna trend down, that's for sure, and suvs typically are guzzlers... bad for the environment.

These SUVs that I'm looking at are smaller and get better gas mileage than something like an Explore. I don't want another minivan. I have 3 children. No damn way I'm taking a long trip in a car. Just not enough room or comfort. Some people need vehicles like this.

wutamess 01-02-2008 11:43 AM

Thought along your lines a couple of years ago before I settled down and got the deal of a lifetime Ford Freestar-minivan (05 used, SE model) in 05 for $13K.

Great gas mileage and great ride.
SUV's use up too much gas.

Simply Red 01-02-2008 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen
These SUVs that I'm looking at are smaller and get better gas mileage than something like an Explore. I don't want another minivan. I have 3 children. No damn way I'm taking a long trip in a car. Just not enough room or comfort. Some people need vehicles like this.

Bob Dole has a nice new Mazda SUV/Car type...the CR6 me thinks...

tyton75 01-02-2008 11:44 AM

I have a Hyundai Santa Fe.. 2001... solid performance.. still running great with 150k on it.. no major issues

gas mileage sux my baows though.. but it about the same as any vehicle its size

Donger 01-02-2008 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen

Unless something has changed, the V6 Liberty gets poor mileage. Something like 13 city and 16 highway.

Simply Red 01-02-2008 11:48 AM

this isn't too bad...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ce=&cardist=46