ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Uh-Oh: My first time grilling this weekend (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=231677)

ModSocks 08-06-2010 02:53 PM

Uh-Oh: My first time grilling this weekend

...And I come to the experts for advice. I've never Barbecued before and wanna tackle some pork ribs this saturday.

I just purchased a cheap $120.00 Charcoal grill and will be buying my ingredients tonight. I've been doing a lot of reading and here is what I've gathered:

1. Don't boil them first because you'll boil out the flavor of the meat.

2. You must smoke them by placing the charcoal on one side of the grill mixed in with some large wood squares. Next to the Charcoal i must insert a drip pan. Place the ribs over the drip pan, and then another pan filled with water next to the ribs.

3. I must apply the rub before hand generously.

4. Keep the temp at about 225-250 degrees for 3-4 hours.

5. Apply BBQ sauce for 4th-5th hour.

That's all I got.

So, any other tips and secrets you guys can share? Is that the best way to prepare ribs?

My goal here is make the best damn ribs anyone has ever had...for the least amount of money of course.

Recomendations on Rub? Sauce? Anything will help. Thanks in advance.

seclark 08-06-2010 02:56 PM

jmo, but if this is your first time you might want to have a pack of hot dogs for back up.
sec

pr_capone 08-06-2010 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seclark (Post 6920870)
jmo, but if this is your first time you might want to have a pack of hot dogs for back up.
sec

ROFL

ModSocks 08-06-2010 02:58 PM

Quote:

sec

Im really good in the Kitchen and hope that it translates to the grill.

Donger 08-06-2010 02:59 PM

Quote:

sec

LMAO

seclark 08-06-2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 6920880)

again, jmo.
for me, ribs are the hardest thing to cook and get just right. looks like you have a good start though.
good luck,
sec

CaliforniaChief 08-06-2010 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 6920858)

3. I must apply the rub before hand generously.

That's what she said.

MOhillbilly 08-06-2010 03:02 PM

Quote:

kitchen = woman

BBQ pit = man

might just bake a cake grill some dogs and call it even.

KCTitus 08-06-2010 03:02 PM

For baby backs, I do a 3-2-1 method, for spare ribs, I do 2-2-1 and I use rib racks.

I cook/smoke them for 3 hours, then take them off, double wrap them in foil, put them back on the grill for 2 hours, then take them out of the foil and baste w/bbq the last 30-45 mins.

My rub consists of brown sugar, red paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, fine sea salt, black pepper, white pepper, ground mustard seed, cumin, chili powder and cayenne. The base is the brown sugar, so the rub has a sweet taste and a hot kick. Ive thrown in other things like allspice or cinnamon to the rub. Everyone uses different stuff. Very generous with the rub. Whatever you do, do NOT use a half a cup of cayenne (my first time I made this mistake)

Im partial to Gates sauce...use your favorite, then you cannot go wrong. Good luck.

Donger 08-06-2010 03:03 PM

Quote:

I'll be castrated for writing this, but perhaps you should do the following instead of trying ribs completely on the grill as your first attempt?

1) Rub your ribs and wrap them in heavy foil individually.

2) Set your oven to 270 and cook them meat side down for about 1.5 hours.

3) Turn them over meat side up and cook for another 45 minutes.

4) Check to see if the meat is pulling away from the bones. If it is, remove and put on the grill meat side down for about 10 minutes, then flip over and add sauce until done.

talastan 08-06-2010 03:04 PM

I'm planning on trying to tackle a pork butt this weekend. Probably smoke it in some Applewood and have some pulled pork sammiches! :drool:

Fritz88 08-06-2010 03:04 PM

First time grilling, damn.

Watch some youtube videos on what you are cooking. They are a BIG help. All the time.

ModSocks 08-06-2010 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCTitus (Post 6920894)
For baby backs, I do a 3-2-1 method, for spare ribs, I do 2-2-1 and I use rib racks.

I cook/smoke them for 3 hours, then take them off, double wrap them in foil, put them back on the grill for 2 hours, then take them out of the foil and baste w/bbq the last 30-45 mins.

My rub consists of brown sugar, red paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, fine sea salt, black pepper, white pepper, ground mustard seed, cumin, chili powder and cayenne. The base is the brown sugar, so the rub has a sweet taste and a hot kick. Ive thrown in other things like allspice or cinnamon to the rub. Everyone uses different stuff. Very generous with the rub. Whatever you do, do NOT use a half a cup of cayenne (my first time I made this mistake)

Im partial to Gates sauce...use your favorite, then you cannot go wrong. Good luck.

Thanks. Can you really tell the difference when preparing ribs by smoking them vs the boil and then BBQ method?

seclark 08-06-2010 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 6920896)
I'll be castrated for writing this, but perhaps you should do the following instead of trying ribs completely on the grill as your first attempt?

1) Rub your ribs and wrap them in heavy foil individually.

2) Set your oven to 270 and cook them meat side down for about 1.5 hours.

3) Turn them over meat side up and cook for another 45 minutes.

4) Check to see if the meat is pulling away from the bones. If it is, remove and put on the grill meat side down for about 10 minutes, then flip over and add sauce until done.

wtf donger???

MOhillbilly 08-06-2010 03:08 PM

offset heat. 1-1.5hrs @ 250-275

easy.