ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc *****Official 2012 Gardening Thread***** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=259902)

cabletech94 07-01-2012 07:41 PM

grew zuccini squash this year. they're taking off and are monsterous!! lost a tomato plant or two from the heat. romas, and a few big boys. and cherry. picked about a dozen cherry last night and ate them all.
anyone got any recipes for banana peppers? got some big 'uns that are just gonna go to waste if i don't get harvesting them.

stonedstooge 07-01-2012 07:46 PM

Got some rain last night and tomato and green pepper plants look ok, just not very big. Peas died out from the heat and my green beans aren't producing much. Radishes sprouted and topped but never filled out the root. Cucumber plants are just now trying to run. Harvested 4 tomatos and 3 green peppers so far

Groves 07-01-2012 09:29 PM

I've been picking a pound of blackberries every morning for the last two weeks. About half done I'd say. I have 6 canes.

I think my onions are doing awesome, but I can't really lay eyes on them because I never weed. We'll find out.

Harvested garlic already. Not a good crop.

Will pick our potatoes this week. High hopes.

I have two rows of us flowers, first year growing them. No heads yet.

MOhillbilly 07-01-2012 09:39 PM

Put out 40 ****in varieties of tomatoes this spring. Haha.

tooge 07-02-2012 06:56 AM

been picking at least a pound of blackberries every day for the last few weeks. There are a few weeks to go based on the number of red, green, and still blooming berries. Eat em on oatmeal every morning. Mulched my maters with straw very heavy this year and I have the best looking plants ive ever had. Some have 5- to 20 maters on them, lots of different varieties. Okra got destroyed by deer but have come back and I'm just starting to get them. I put some in a stew yesterday. Getting jalapenos, onions, and radishes as well. Just watering my ass off tho

MOhillbilly 07-02-2012 07:03 AM

Ya, the water bill is gonna be insane. Got a Jet pump to drop in the old well, just ain't hooked it up yet.

boogblaster 07-02-2012 09:19 AM

damn garden is burnin up .. prolly not gona spend much mo on water .. but got some decent veggies .....

mlyonsd 07-02-2012 09:42 AM

Asparagus that I planted last year was coming up nicely and then we had a hard freeze. Didn't kill it but ruined the first stands coming up. Because of that I didn't harvest any. Looks like it all survived and next year I'll start to harvest.

Planted 4 new fruit trees. Tough year for planting trees, my weather station says at my place I received .80 inches of rain the entire month of June. Yard is completely dormant, haven't mowed in almost three weeks.

Planted some rhubarb roots this spring, two survived and were doing nicely. Saturday I noticed it looks like the deer pulled them out just for fun. Didn't eat them, just left them laying there. This might be the year I buy my first deer license. Especially after hitting one in early May. $3900 damage.

Rest of the garden is doing ok only because I'm watering it. First time I've ever planted potatoes, the plants look like they are starting to turn so I'll probably be haresting soon.

Squash are going insane right now. Tomato plants not so much but they look healthy. Sweet corn, dunno. Looks like at least a couple weeks left before they tassel.

HonestChieffan 07-02-2012 12:01 PM

So far we have delivered 6 5 gallon buckets of yellow squash and zucchini to church and food pantry. Lord have mercy.

Tomatoes are laying on fruit, Have about 20 really nice cantelope, corn is tasseling, and lots of peppers and eggplant

DMAC 07-02-2012 12:52 PM

My garden has done pretty well.

Already picked all my onions. Starting to pick tomatoes here and there. Peppers of various variety are everywhere.

The heat is starting to shrivel some husky cherry tomatoes, though.

tooge 07-02-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabletech94 (Post 8713436)
grew zuccini squash this year. they're taking off and are monsterous!! lost a tomato plant or two from the heat. romas, and a few big boys. and cherry. picked about a dozen cherry last night and ate them all.
anyone got any recipes for banana peppers? got some big 'uns that are just gonna go to waste if i don't get harvesting them.

pickle those banana peppers. 3 quarts water/1 quart white vinegar/1 cup canning salt. Add a few onions, about a dozen peppercorns. Fill clean jars up with whole or sliced peppers. Pour boiling mixture over, leaving half inch airspace. Put on the lid. No need to reboil, they will seal. Give em about a week before opening.

Buehler445 07-02-2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 8713641)
Put out 40 ****in varieties of tomatoes this spring. Haha.

You sir are a man among boys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 8713889)
Ya, the water bill is gonna be insane. Got a Jet pump to drop in the old well, just ain't hooked it up yet.

What is a jet pump? Is that a centrifugal pump?

KC_Lee 07-02-2012 07:13 PM

Had to cut back on my garden plans this year, shortage of money will do that to a guy.

Was able to get some rows of turips and beets in, both are starting to crown but not ready to pull just yet. Got my tomatoes in late so nothing to pick just yet but should still a good harvest this year. Put in the rest of my bush beans that I had from last year, looks like a good harvest there too.

Blackberry bush produced and I picked as many as I could before the birds got to them, came out on the losing end on that one.

MOhillbilly 07-02-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 8714896)
You sir are a man among boys.

What is a jet pump? Is that a centrifugal pump?

When you grow produce as a hobby and then people pay you to do your hobby its a game changer.

Shit next year ill put out twice the amount. It's gonna be ****in nuts.. don't know what kind it is but the guy who gave it.to me said it'll pull stumps and suck eggs.

All in all everyone says the gardens look great and we've been pumping produce outta em since last september. I think they don't know shit and when its right ill let em know.:evil:

figure it'll take another three years..... cool cause I have nothing but time.

MOhillbilly 07-02-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Lee (Post 8715264)
Had to cut back on my garden plans this year, shortage of money will do that to a guy.

Was able to get some rows of turips and beets in, both are starting to crown but not ready to pull just yet. Got my tomatoes in late so nothing to pick just yet but should still a good harvest this year. Put in the rest of my bush beans that I had from last year, looks like a good harvest there too.

Blackberry bush produced and I picked as many as I could before the birds got to them, came out on the losing end on that one.

Harvested 250ish pounds of beets this spring. Got a blend from baker creek and broadcast em over a 60 ft raised bed. Super easy, I actually prefer them over baby carrots.