ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft Geno Smith is Sam Bradford (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270160)

Ebolapox 02-19-2013 03:05 PM

'refresh' works quite well actually.

B14ckmon 02-19-2013 03:05 PM

I can delete it I just have to get an edit post URL and manually type in that post's number. give me a second.

*EDIT*

Fixed, dry those eyes.

Easy 6 02-19-2013 03:19 PM

This read comes off pretty well for Glennon, whats not to love about elite arm talent? can he be coached out of the turnovers?

Most of what i've read around this place hates the guy, but why is that? a tall kid with a cannon arm? that doesnt sound too bad.

htismaqe 02-19-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9416059)
This read comes off pretty well for Glennon, whats not to love about elite arm talent? can he be coached out of the turnovers?

Most of what i've read around this place hates the guy, but why is that? a tall kid with a cannon arm? that doesnt sound too bad.

He's the definition of streaky.

His arm is so strong that he routinely throws 10-yard outs in the dirt, 8 yards in front of the receiver.

His accuracy in the 10-30 range is extremely suspect.

Easy 6 02-19-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9416068)
He's the definition of streaky.

His arm is so strong that he routinely throws 10-yard outs in the dirt, 8 yards in front of the receiver.

His accuracy in the 10-30 range is extremely suspect.

So his arm isnt as great as advertised and he has accuracy issues, that is a problem.

RealSNR 02-19-2013 03:32 PM

A number of teams have said that Glennon just isn't a real vocal guy, either. It's like he doesn't have a personality in the huddle.

I get that when I see interviews with him. It's just that awkward neck of his ummming and uhhhhing at every question, not sounding real smart or like he has any clue what the **** is going on.

DJ's left nut 02-19-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9416078)
So his arm isnt as great as advertised and he has accuracy issues, that is a problem.

His arm's pretty damn good. He doesn't spike them into feet because his arm is weak, he spikes them into feet because his mechanics are wonky.

He's a 'lanky' tall, which makes for an odd mis-mash of moving parts and a delivery that's not the most repeatable. As a consequence of an erratic delivery, he doesn't always know where the ball's going (but by God, it gets there fast).

He's the kind of kid that could grow into his size and become a decent passer with some coaching. But he's just not a very good athlete so I don't have much confidence in him ever truly growing into that length and developing that repeatable delivery that would allow him to improve his accuracy enough to be a legitimately good starting QB.

DaneMcCloud 02-19-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9416078)

Accuracy is something most coaches will tell you cannot be fixed.

Either you're accurate with the ball or your not. Troy Aikman's biggest attribute coming into the NFL was his accuracy. Same with Joe Montana.

DJ's left nut 02-19-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9416086)

Either you're accurate with the ball or your not. Troy Aikman's biggest attribute coming into the NFL was his accuracy. Same with Joe Montana.

The way I've put it for several years has been pretty simple - you're not going to move a letter grade.

If you're a C- passer, you can become a C passer. C+ passer, you can get to B-. You can improve your accuracy in the margins by quieting your mechanics, learning the proper footwork and simply becoming more routine in your delivery.

But yeah, biomechanics are what they are. The ability to repeat your delivery is going to be something that you're either very good at, or you aren't. Someone like Glennon I just do not think is going to develop that ability, though he's such an odd physical specimen that he's a slight exception to the general rule.

It's the most important element to an accurate passer and it's one that people just don't think about. Your body needs to do exactly what you're expecting it to do every single time. When it doesn't, everything goes to hell. If your body isn't wired for muscle memory that is that precise, you're just not going to develop that kind of consistency.

Easy 6 02-19-2013 03:43 PM

He certainly IS a gangly looking mfer, it makes sense that a build like that combined with average at best athleticism might produce poor mechanics.

The fact that he apparently comes off as a bit of a dim bulb is even more of a problem, imo.

We need energy and wits.

DJ's left nut 02-19-2013 03:47 PM

My favorite part about this thread - I couldn't remember if I had said this before so I went hunting and came upon this from February of 2011 when discussing what to do at 21:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 7457593)
Yup, Kaepernick is the guy I want, especially with Zorn around now.

I know, it's a stupidy 'sexy' pick that fails more often than it succeeds. At the same time, that kid has every single tool you could ever want in a player. His teammates loved him and he has a damn cannon. With his mobility, size and strength, he's a wet dream if you can iron out the kinks.

And an interesting wrinkle to him that I'm coming up with on the fly here. There was a lot of interest in him as a pitcher going into college, correct? The throwing motion for a pitcher and a quarterback are two very different animals. In fact, the throwing motion for a pitcher and him in particular are very dissimilar. What that tells me is that his throwing motion as a quarterback is learned, rather than a product of raw biomechanics. I think Tebow throws the way he does because his body almost requires it, ditto a guy like Vince Young or Tim Lincecum. Sometimes your biomechanics dictate your throwing technique, I don't think that's the case with Kaepernick.

So I think you could really refine that quirky motion of his. His arm has shown that it's capable of slinging multiple types of balls using several different throwing motions. That tells me he can both change to a more conventional throwing style AND that, when a play goes to hell, even if he falls back to old habits on that play, the throw itself will still be decent as his arm has been conditioned to multiple angles.

Disclaimer: Every single thing I wrote above could be bullshit and has not been subject to any sort of testing, either empirical or even a PS3. I just really like the guy and I'm trying to come up with more reasons to like him.

I forgot I was on the Kaepernick train! That whole thread's kinda funny, what with Hootie sucking Ponder off and what not.

htismaqe 02-19-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9416084)
His arm's pretty damn good. He doesn't spike them into feet because his arm is weak, he spikes them into feet because his mechanics are wonky.

He's a 'lanky' tall, which makes for an odd mis-mash of moving parts and a delivery that's not the most repeatable. As a consequence of an erratic delivery, he doesn't always know where the ball's going (but by God, it gets there fast).

He's the kind of kid that could grow into his size and become a decent passer with some coaching. But he's just not a very good athlete so I don't have much confidence in him ever truly growing into that length and developing that repeatable delivery that would allow him to improve his accuracy enough to be a legitimately good starting QB.

This.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9416086)

And this.

Hammock Parties 02-19-2013 03:53 PM

The Glennon GIF that keeps on giving.

http://i.imgur.com/auJWPju.gif

htismaqe 02-19-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9416123)
The Glennon GIF that keeps on giving.

http://i.imgur.com/auJWPju.gif

That's a PERFECT example.

The ball comes out perfectly, has nice velocity and trajectory, and yet somehow it just ends up in the absolute WRONG place.

Titty Meat 02-19-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9416128)
That's a PERFECT example.

The ball comes out perfectly, has nice velocity and trajectory, and yet somehow it just ends up in the absolute WRONG place.

It can be coached. Glennon will be a fine QB.