ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   MU ****The OFFICIAL 2013 Mizzou Tigers Basketball Thread**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268694)

DJ's left nut 01-17-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9326820)
I would imagine they will start Criswell and Jankovic, at least initially, and run 4-out, one-in again. That would be interesting to see, especially if they have the jumbo backcourt out there. Both Criswell and Jankovic are good enough shooters to be the guy sitting in the corner (Kim English role) and both should be dangerous on the pick-and-roll.

Post should help and give them some additional beef, and you can probably sneak Rosburg for 3-4 minutes a game or based on matchups.

They need JW3 to be someone who can be a positive impact guy for 20-25 minutes a game, or they will be really thin in the middle.

Am I completely off base in believing that Post can provide us a great deal of the interior defense that Oriakhi is presently providing us?

And let's not act like Oriakhi is a wealth of low-post moves and refined center play. He's generallly little more than a garbage man down there.

It sure seems to me like Post at the 5 and Criswell at the 4 (and I love Ross at the 3) would be a very good front court. JW3 and Jankovic can continue to develop physically and be used primarily as energy and instant offense off the bench.

duncan_idaho 01-17-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9327748)
Am I completely off base in believing that Post can provide us a great deal of the interior defense that Oriakhi is presently providing us?

And let's not act like Oriakhi is a wealth of low-post moves and refined center play. He's generallly little more than a garbage man down there.

It sure seems to me like Post at the 5 and Criswell at the 4 (and I love Ross at the 3) would be a very good front court. JW3 and Jankovic can continue to develop physically and be used primarily as energy and instant offense off the bench.

Post has a lot of upside but still is pretty raw. If he improves as much over the summer as Tony Criswell did, he certainly could be in position to start in the middle. But that type of summer jump is pretty rare for JUCOs.

I think the primary offensive sets would struggle a bit with a starting lineup of Clarkson/Brown/Ross/Criswell/Post, but it's a long ways off.

As for this year's team... I see 23-24 wins in the regular season. Key thing I'm going to be watching for is how much they improve once they get healthy and the rotation solidifies again. They have the tools to be a tougher out in the tournament than last year's squad.

DJ's left nut 01-17-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9327846)
Post has a lot of upside but still is pretty raw. If he improves as much over the summer as Tony Criswell did, he certainly could be in position to start in the middle. But that type of summer jump is pretty rare for JUCOs.

I think the primary offensive sets would struggle a bit with a starting lineup of Clarkson/Brown/Ross/Criswell/Post, but it's a long ways off.

As for this year's team... I see 23-24 wins in the regular season. Key thing I'm going to be watching for is how much they improve once they get healthy and the rotation solidifies again. They have the tools to be a tougher out in the tournament than last year's squad.

So many "what might have beens"....

With Dixon and Tony Mitchell wouldn't this have to be seen as one of the top 5 teams in the country?

Damn. Felled by rape and illiteracy...

duncan_idaho 01-17-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9327883)
So many "what might have beens"....

With Dixon and Tony Mitchell wouldn't this have to be seen as one of the top 5 teams in the country?

Damn. Felled by rape and illiteracy...

Yeah, Holdmy Dixon really screwed things up quite a bit.

If Tony Mitchell was going to qualify, he never would have committed to Mizzou.

Saul Good 01-17-2013 10:35 AM

I'm surprised people aren't talking more about Jabari Brown. He's going to be a star. Actually, he reminds me of a more talented Dixon.

DJ's left nut 01-17-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9327984)
I'm surprised people aren't talking more about Jabari Brown. He's going to be a star. Actually, he reminds me of a more talented Dixon.

Denmon with better floor vision.

Denmon was a fearless shooter and aggressive defender/rebounder. Brown does those things as well.

He'll have all of Denmons strengths but also the ability to see the floor and be a plus passer.

He's an NBA caliber talent. I've been incredibly impressed by how seamlessly he's blended into the offense. Once he gets a little better and knowing when he has to be aggressive (he gets tentative at times) he'll be a guy you can count on for 18-20 points every night.

He's an elite prospect, for sure.

duncan_idaho 01-17-2013 10:56 AM

I like Brown's game a lot... but I don't think he's nearly as adept in mid-range or at getting his own shot as Dixon. I love his basketball IQ and floor vision.

I think he's going to be a big-time scorer for them next year, along with Clarkson.

Saul Good 01-17-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9328043)
I like Brown's game a lot... but I don't think he's nearly as adept in mid-range or at getting his own shot as Dixon. I love his basketball IQ and floor vision.

I think he's going to be a big-time scorer for them next year, along with Clarkson.

Not yet, but I think he is father along than Dixon was as the same point in their careers (20 games in), and Brown is improving rapidly.

DJ's left nut 01-17-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9328043)

Yeah, I'm not sure Dixon's a great comp either. Dixon had a pretty unparalleled first step and Dixon could finish from essentially any angle (dammit...it is hard to not make entendres with this guy, isn't it?)

Dixon played a completely unconventional style but was so adept at it that he was a dynamic scorer. Brown will play a more conventional game but do it extremely well.

That's why I like the Denmon comp more.

Saul Good 01-17-2013 11:05 AM

I'm not really sure who he best compares to. I think we'll see his game evolve over the rest of the season and into next year. (Especially next year when he will need to be "the guy".)

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-17-2013 12:52 PM

He's a big bodied guard with some outside touch who can use his frame. He's a taller, more athletic Paul O'Liney

Saul Good 01-17-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9328293)
He's a big bodied guard with some outside touch who can use his frame. He's a taller, more athletic Paul O'Liney

I think you're under-selling Brown. Dude's over 41% from deep (better than his overall %age, incidentally). I'd put that well above "some outside touch". Not a bad comparison, but that's taking PO's junior and senior seasons against a sophomore JB.

Mizzou_8541 01-18-2013 08:47 PM

Sorry if Q, but Bowers has been ruled out tomorrow.

KcMizzou 01-18-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou_8541 (Post 9331796)
Sorry if Q, but Bowers has been ruled out tomorrow.

Figured as much, but still... shit.

Mizzou_8541 01-18-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 9331832)
Figured as much, but still... shit.

Yep. Florida by 20.