ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs The case for Nick Foles (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270213)

DJ's left nut 02-20-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 9418752)
Id give a next years 3 that could rise to a 2 with certain goals being met like win a playoff game.

And THEN draft a REAL QB at #1

Why would you ever trade a potential #2 for a guy you expect to be a backup?

htismaqe 02-20-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9418761)
Don't lump me in with those folks. I'm all in with drafting Geno.

However, I was a big fan of Foles and pushed for him last year, so I am still good with that option. If the Chiefs aren't going to take Geno, that's my next favorite option.

I know, I was just messing with you.

Dayze 02-20-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazycoffey (Post 9418718)
Can we at least wait for him to be conceived before we start criticizing him?

**** that shit.

htismaqe 02-20-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9418766)
Why would you ever trade a potential #2 for a guy you expect to be a backup?

Exactly.

If they give a 2nd or 3rd for Foles, he's coming here pretty much to start.

O.city 02-20-2013 11:13 AM

The similarity to the cassel situation is that if we give up a 2 or even our third this year for foles, he's the guy. He's your starter

ModSocks 02-20-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9418713)
We have a dozen holes all over this roster. If it's your position that trading a 3rd for Foles means we can't fill the 2nd QB hole, then I presume you're suggesting that the Chiefs have to use 2 of their first 3 picks on QBs this season?

That's crazy talk. Yeah, they need to use one of their first 3 on a QB, no question. The 2nd QB hole should probably be filled in some other fashion.

For instance, if they take Geno at 1.1, would you really think its wise to use the 2nd rounder, which could be our #2 corner/WR or the 3rd rounder, which could be our starting SS, on a backup QB?

No, I don't think this franchise has any business doing that right now. They need to decide who they're going to pick as their QBOTF this year and they need to aggressively pursue that option. If that's Geno Smith - get him. If it's Nick Foles, figure something out. Then from there you use the rest of your picks to fill other gaping holes on the roster and you try to be creative with the backup QB role. There's always a Henne or Orton or Moore to be had as a sound backup QB.

The fact that Scooter intentionally avoided ever having a viable backup quarterback on this roster to avoid pressuring his dipshit pet doesn't mean that they're actually that difficult to acquire.

I'd rather have two young, quality QB's than one. I understand what you mean and you have a valid point...but i guess i don't really care how the QB's are acquired as long as they are acquired. My view might be a little bit different if we only had one 3rd rounder.....but we should have two.

So Nick Foles would essentially be our compensation for losing Carr, and we would STILL have a full slate of draft picks in every round to address other issues. It wouldn't be any different than a team spending the 1st overall on a QB and then using rounds 2-7 to address every other issue (which happens every season).

Spending an early draft pick on what might amount to a back up may not be ideal to you, but it's something i would fully support if that's the direction they want to go in.

Going into camp with two young, promising QB's doesn't sound like a bad plan to me.

Messier 02-20-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9418776)
The similarity to the cassel situation is that if we give up a 2 or even our third this year for foles, he's the guy. He's your starter

What I feel won't be similar is that this regime won't stop at Foles and say QB position fixed, we're done there. My opinion, but really don't think they would pull a SP.

58-4ever 02-20-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazycoffey (Post 9418700)
Because in 2037 we'd be be bitching about not having a pick to draft Payton's son.

Who is this Payton you speak of? Sean? I'd take his son as a coach....

crazycoffey 02-20-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9418733)
Why? This is a message board, we get paid to talk about stuff like this.

And whatnot...

But we'll know so much more in two or three years when he actually exists

Skyy God 02-20-2013 11:21 AM

If we pass on Geno or another QB at 1.1, Foles for a 3rd is the best meh option available. And the new CBA prohibits giving him a new contract, so it's not completely analogous to Pi0li's acquisition of Casshole.

Dayze 02-20-2013 11:21 AM

Peyton's son doesn't do well under pressure. he turns into the fetal position at the slightest hint of pressure.

DJ's left nut 02-20-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9418795)
I'd rather have two young, quality QB's than one. I understand what you mean and you have a valid point...but i guess i don't really care how the QB's are acquired as long as they are acquired. My view might be a little bit different if we only had one 3rd rounder.....but we should have two.

So Nick Foles would essentially be our compensation for losing Carr, and we would STILL have a full slate of draft picks in every round to address other issues. It wouldn't be any different than a team spending the 1st overall on a QB and then using rounds 2-7 to address every other issue (which happens every season).

Spending an early draft pick on what might amount to a back up may not be ideal to you, but it's something i would fully support if that's the direction they want to go in.

Going into camp with two young, promising QB's doesn't sound like a bad plan to me.

It doesn't in a vacuum, but it's all about opportunity cost.

Going into camp with a young, promising starting QB along with a young, promising SS sounds better than having a young, promising starting QB and another backup.

It's about using finite resources to cover several holes. If we could trade the comp pick, I'd be okay with trading that for Foles - but we can't. We'd have to trade 3.1 and because of the depth of the 2nd round, there are going to be same damn good players there at 3.1 Harrison Smith was a first round pick for the Vike's last year and I think Baccari Rambo is a better player than Smith and he'll likely be there for us at 3.1 but not at the comp pick.

This could be a bedrock draft and I want us to be as aggressive as possible in it. Using a high pick on a backup QB is reactive and I don't like it.

Chieftain58 02-20-2013 11:22 AM

No!!!

HolyHat 02-20-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9418822)
Peyton's son doesn't do well under pressure. he turns into the fetal position at the slightest hint of pressure.

Maybe give up a 6th or 7th rounder?

Dayze 02-20-2013 11:22 AM

if Reid goes the Foles route, this MF better be right; and he'd be on a short leash for me after this whole Cassel disaster. .