ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs The case for Nick Foles (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270213)

Rausch 02-20-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9418795)
I'd rather have two young, quality QB's than one. I understand what you mean and you have a valid point...but i guess i don't really care how the QB's are acquired as long as they are acquired. My view might be a little bit different if we only had one 3rd rounder.....but we should have two.

So Nick Foles would essentially be our compensation for losing Carr, and we would STILL have a full slate of draft picks in every round to address other issues. It wouldn't be any different than a team spending the 1st overall on a QB and then using rounds 2-7 to address every other issue (which happens every season).

Spending an early draft pick on what might amount to a back up may not be ideal to you, but it's something i would fully support if that's the direction they want to go in.

Going into camp with two young, promising QB's doesn't sound like a bad plan to me.

Exactly. Look at the Seahawks. They thought they had their franchise guy and then some rookie steps in and becomes a force...

Deberg_1990 02-20-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9418774)
Exactly.

If they give a 2nd or 3rd for Foles, he's coming here pretty much to start.

Theres no way id give up a #2 for Foles. Hes only started 6 games and hasnt proven anything. At least Cassel had won 10 or 11 games and kept his team in the playoff hunt.

Rausch 02-20-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9418836)
Theres no way id give up a #2 for Foles. Hes only started 6 games and hasnt proven anything. At least Cassel had won 10 or 11 games and kept his team in the playoff hunt.

No way the 2.2 for Foles...

Dayze 02-20-2013 11:25 AM

Cassel can restructure to show Foles the ropes.

htismaqe 02-20-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9418832)
Exactly. Look at the Seahawks. They thought they had their franchise guy and then some rookie steps in and becomes a force...

The problem is that what the Seahawks did almost NEVER happens. Teams just don't do that.

Of course, teams don't do what the Skins did last year either.

So maybe we're looking at the start of a new trend...

htismaqe 02-20-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9418836)

I wouldn't give up 2.2 for him either but that is one of the rumors floating around...

Dayze 02-20-2013 11:26 AM

unfortunately, I've been indoctrinated/conditioned to believe no matter what the Chiefs decided to do...
I'll be wrong.

Mr_Tomahawk 02-20-2013 11:27 AM

I'd swap 1st and 2nd round picks and give up our 3rd for Foles...

Rausch 02-20-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 9418847)
I'd swap 1st and 2nd round picks and give up our 3rd for Foles...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-rdAv2t0oJx...ious_meme.jpeg

DJ's left nut 02-20-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Sure, a rookie 3rd rounder.

They dedicated a reasonable FA contract and a 3rd round pick to the position - that's it. And who the hell would complain about that?

That's not what some folks are suggesting. They're suggesting using 2 of our first 3 picks on the position. No, the Seahawks would've never done that.

And frankly, the Seahawks are an outlier. If you're going to cite them as your model, then I guess we need to draft a bunch of 3rd and 4th round QBs, right? They got lucky.

Hammock Parties 02-20-2013 11:30 AM

The 49ers traded a 2nd and a 4th for Steve Young back in the day.

I don't agree that if we give up a 3rd round pick he's automatically our starter.

That high 2nd, maybe. But not the third.

HolyHat 02-20-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9418851)

ROFL

ModSocks 02-20-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9418824)
It doesn't in a vacuum, but it's all about opportunity cost.

Going into camp with a young, promising starting QB along with a young, promising SS sounds better than having a young, promising starting QB and another backup.

It's about using finite resources to cover several holes. If we could trade the comp pick, I'd be okay with trading that for Foles - but we can't. We'd have to trade 3.1 and because of the depth of the 2nd round, there are going to be same damn good players there at 3.1 Harrison Smith was a first round pick for the Vike's last year and I think Baccari Rambo is a better player than Smith and he'll likely be there for us at 3.1 but not at the comp pick.

This could be a bedrock draft and I want us to be as aggressive as possible in it. Using a high pick on a backup QB is reactive and I don't like it.

I don't see it as reactive. I see it as very proactive. It's the beginning of a QB farm system, as well as giving yourself multiple options at the position in case one or the other doesn't work out...or in the event of an injury.

Because we have an extra 3rd, we could walk away from the draft with:

1.1 QB
2.2 WR
3.1 Nick Foles
3.whatever SS

etc.

And like you pointed out, teams have been able to find quality starters at the safety position deeper in the draft, so there is still a very good chance you could find a quality player with 3.-whatever it's going to be.

Skyy God 02-20-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Flynn's deal was basically for 2 years and $13M. While that's a good contract for a 2 game starter, it's hardly franchise QB money.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4949/matt-flynn

Rausch 02-20-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9418854)
Sure, a rookie 3rd rounder.

They dedicated a reasonable FA contract and a 3rd round pick to the position - that's it. And who the hell would complain about that?

That's not what some folks are suggesting. They're suggesting using 2 of our first 3 picks on the position. No, the Seahawks would've never done that.

And frankly, the Seahawks are an outlier. If you're going to cite them as your model, then I guess we need to draft a bunch of 3rd and 4th round QBs, right? They got lucky.

I like the idea of not just adding one guy and saying we've "addressed" the position.

I like signing a vet FA, AND drafting the best QB available, and if the damned world league wouldn't have gone tits up I'd look there as well.

The Niners didn't quit looking for QB's because they had Montana. Packers kept drafting and adding guys behind good QB's.

You should be looking to improve your starter or depth every single year at that position...