ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Tips: Basement water proofing ? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=114038)

ROYC75 04-12-2005 10:15 AM

Tips: Basement water proofing ?

Any of you guys had any trials at doing this ?

Other than digging up around the foundation and installing new drainage pipe,( which I intend to do when the $$ roll in )what can a guy do other than use a sealant( ref: drylock ). I have already chipped some holes out and patched with cement.

The sad part is I'm doing this now, in the rainy part of the year ( I knew I should have done this last year when it was dry )...... I have a daughter moving back in to help around the house and to help take care of my wife and mother in law, I have to get the basement ready fast.

It's an old house and the foundation was poured back in the 20's.... it looked like they used any gravel they could find, bricks, sandstone .

yunghungwell 04-12-2005 10:19 AM

At my house the #1 rule to keeping the basement dry is to keep the gutters clean.

Iowanian 04-12-2005 10:20 AM

I'm no pro, but there are some simple things you can check and do to "help".

1. make sure your gutters are good, and draining water away from the house.

2. make sure there aren't any low spots in the dirt against the foundation.........Heap some dirt against the foundation so water doesn't collect against it.

Phobia 04-12-2005 10:21 AM

No. Virtually anything you try is going to be a bandaid or not work at all. Which is why basement waterproofing is such big business. Talk to Bowser about it.

You could try a roofing product. There are tubes of caulk designed to patch a wet roof that may help you during the rainy season but that's only if you can see cracks in your foundation. I've used Henry branded products in the past.

Phobia 04-12-2005 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian
I'm no pro, but there are some simple things you can check and do to "help".

1. make sure your gutters are good, and draining water away from the house.

2. make sure there aren't any low spots in the dirt against the foundation.........Heap some dirt against the foundation so water doesn't collect against it.

That's a good preventative response. My post assumes all these measures have been taken.

Iowanian 04-12-2005 10:24 AM

I've helped waterproof 1 basement..........we dug down below the footings, and put some Rolled Rubber (I'm thinking it was Bitchathane, but not sure of the proper name)...it was black rubber, maybe 1/4" thick.............attached with black tar calking................and then back filled, with a drain tile under some peagravel towards the surface.

Iowanian 04-12-2005 10:25 AM

I wonder, if in a pickle, if he could get by with spraying that foam commercia roof coating on the INSIDE?

whaddaya think phildo?

ROYC75 04-12-2005 10:26 AM

Gutters are clean, it's raining now. I need to do some landscaping work in the front and side of the house. The ground does slope to the foundation so this is a big negative.

I need to know if any of you know of a good patching method or sealant that will stop the leaks while I have active water.

In the 2 rooms I have worked on, I have 1 dry and 1 about 90% leakes stopped.

I still have 2 rooms to go after these 2. :shake:

Phobia 04-12-2005 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYC75
Gutters are clean, it's raining now. I need to do some landscaping work in the front and side of the house. The ground does slope to the foundation so this is a big negative.

End of thread. There's your problem.

Iowanian 04-12-2005 10:28 AM

Roy..........If the water is draining to the foundation....thats a big problem.

You need to get some dirt heaped against your foundation, and maybe even dig a shallow "trench" a foot away from the house to divert that water. Running a Tile with holes/screen and pea gravel to divert that water is a better option, but heaping a foot of dirt on the foundation will help big time.

JimNasium 04-12-2005 10:29 AM

I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of smart ass responses on this thread. The correct answers would have been:

A.) - Move.
B.) - Start drinking heavily.

ROYC75 04-12-2005 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia
End of thread. There's your problem.

I understand this, it's a summertime project that is on the to do list .

ROYC75 04-12-2005 10:31 AM

If the funds are available this summer as well, I'm going to trench down about 4 feet and install new drainage pipe.

Again, I was wondering if any one knew of a good sealant that works with active water for the time being.

Phobia 04-12-2005 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYC75
If the funds are available this summer as well, I'm going to trench down about 4 feet and install new drainage pipe.

Again, I was wondering if any one knew of a good sealant that works with active water for the time being.

Oh - then you may wish to edit your thread starter "what can a guy do other than use a sealant".

I don't really know. If you'd got active water seeping in, I know of no other products that will bond in water other than roofing sealant.

yunghungwell 04-12-2005 11:36 AM

You can always go the sump pump route. Let the water come in, but pump it out faster than it comes in. That will keep the basement dry.