ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers God **** You, Biostar (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=280779)

Valiant 01-25-2014 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 10382078)
Has this always been their return policy? I've never had to return anything to them. For some reason, I had it in my mind that return shipping was free.

That is weird, I can understand charging shipping for returns, but for swaps it should be free. I would call customer service.

Baby Lee 01-25-2014 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 10393571)
That is weird, I can understand charging shipping for returns, but for swaps it should be free. I would call customer service.

I have to retract a bit and totally agree on Newegg. When I got my RAM back in 2003 or so, it was top of the line stuff, . . . but totally effed. I sent it back and got an email of a GIF of a RAM card with EXTREME scuffing that they said was what I sent them back and I paid HELL to return my purchase and buy elsewhere. Last time I ever bought with them.

In a word, Asus good, Newegg bad.

chiefs1111 01-25-2014 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 10378323)
Amazon has pretty much ruined all other online retailers for me. When FedEx ****ed up and couldn't get one of the Christmas gifts I ordered to me on time, Amazon refunded the order entirely and re-ordered the item to be sent directly to the person I was giving it to without blinking.

I really don't understand why other retailers don't do everything they can to keep customers happy - especially when it doesn't cost them much. (They have our CC info after all and can always charge us if the return doesn't go through right.)

This. I have been using Amazon for over 10 years and have had very few issues with them. When I have they have always took care of it very quickly.

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-26-2014 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10393448)
Surprising, one of the most pleasant aspects of Win 7 and 8 was the installation.

updates, drivers, fixes, all finished without doing a thing. Some of the drivers were better than the component website offered.

Sorry for you troubles.

My HDs, video cards and ram and stuff are top notch [Crucial, Asus, Seagate, GeForce, HP, etc] but my my monitor is a cheapo POS [Envision 22" flatscreen], but even it was no problem.

I literally put the installation disc in with a blank HD and came back to log onto Chiefsplanet and watch HDTV without doing a ****ing thing.

I would add for what it's worth, I've had 3 Asus Mobo's in 10-12 years and never had an issue until my P4 CPU crapped out on me a few years back [lost a HVAC and TV in that episode as well].

Unless things radically change, I'll probably never stray from Asus. It, Sony ES, and Trader Joe's are my primary brand faithfuls.

After chatting with "Jose", and allowing him remote access of my desktop, the folks at MS were kind enough to activate the copy of Windows.

Everything is up and running well on the PC now, but what a goddamned shitshow that was.

I'm with you for the most part on brand loyalty. The first aftermarket mobo I bought was an Asus P4P800. It's sitting on the workbench of my garage right now, with a P4 Prescott it in, and they always worked like a champ until the age of HD .mkv video.

Now, I'm trying to figure out why my torrent speeds appear throttled on the HTPC after setting up a 5GHZ network. Bizarre, save ISP tomfoolery, because I was pulling 1.5 MB/s downloads last night on the 2.4 gig network, and the 5 gig intranetwork and fixed site DL speeds fly.

Baby Lee 01-26-2014 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 10393726)
After chatting with "Jose", and allowing him remote access of my desktop, the folks at MS were kind enough to activate the copy of Windows.

Everything is up and running well on the PC now, but what a goddamned shitshow that was.

I'm with you for the most part on brand loyalty. The first aftermarket mobo I bought was an Asus P4P800. It's sitting on the workbench of my garage right now, with a P4 Prescott it in, and they always worked like a champ until the age of HD .mkv video.

Now, I'm trying to figure out why my torrent speeds appear throttled on the HTPC after setting up a 5GHZ network. Bizarre, save ISP tomfoolery, because I was pulling 1.5 MB/s downloads last night on the 2.4 gig network, and the 5 gig intranetwork and fixed site DL speeds fly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee
never had an issue until my P4 CPU crapped out on me a few years back [lost a HVAC and TV in that episode as well].

Saw this and I noticed I needed to clarify. I had a big power surge that took everything out. Literally heard the system pop in a shorm and everything went to shit everywhere.

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-26-2014 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10393737)
Saw this and I noticed I needed to clarify. I had a big power surge that took everything out. Literally heard the system pop in a shorm and everything went to shit everywhere.

Oh, I understood.

I remained a loyal Linksys customer for years in part because I felt like their router took a bullet for my then-new system in 2005 when lightning hit about 50 feet from our apartment complex off of Barry Road.

Computer lived, but I lost the TV, DVD Recorder, subwoofer, and X-Box.

Then again, that strike also marked the transition from standard to high def television for me, so not all was lost.

nstygma 01-26-2014 03:09 AM

Quote:

all router port settings set?

BryanBusby 01-26-2014 08:43 AM

I've had success with Biostar, but I haven't bought a Biostar mobo since 2003.

Yeah, newegg's return policy is asshole and I've pretty much sworn off shopping with them. Last time I ordered from them, they ****ed my order up and basically refused to do a whole lot to fix their **** up.

No newegg, I'm not paying for shipping charges or letting you charge my CC again because you can't read a mother****ing box. I ended up having to reverse the charges and now buy most of my shit from Microcenter.

scorpio 01-26-2014 09:44 AM

I had a Biostar motherboard CATCH ON FIRE once. Not even joking.

notorious 01-26-2014 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpio (Post 10393873)
I had a Biostar motherboard CATCH ON FIRE once. Not even joking.

LMAO

Heat will shorten the life of electronics, you know.

ragedogg69 02-06-2014 04:59 PM

I am just going to leave this here for Hamas

http://promotions.newegg.com/premier/trial/index.html

htismaqe 02-06-2014 06:01 PM

Quote:

Have you tested the 5Ghz network with anything other than torrents?

5Ghz doesn't always handle things well. Can be very fast but is very intolerant of fidelity issues.

hometeam 02-07-2014 08:49 AM

Just to add to this that I ordered an MSI mobo (cheap price, SUPPOSEDLY high quality/rating) to flesh out my rebuild of my secondary gaming rig, and got itin last night and wont power up. PSU works on the old mobo, tried booting with/without ram, tried the ol power on via screwdriver trick to make sure it wasn't the front panel.

The only thing besides a DOA mobo is that my old PSU only has a single 12v connector for the mobo aits one of those 6+2 deals, and I am t hinking maybe that's the problem. Or, I guess I could have a short caused by a incorrectly placed stand off on the case.

Meh, either way ordered a new case and PSU and will wait for those to arrive before trying RMA. Scored a corsair cx 500w for 30 bucks after MIR so couldn't pass it up, and it was time anyway to replace the old off brand PSU

Btw, this is one of the few things I ordered from newegg ;( how did you get them to eat your RMA shipping etc?

htismaqe 02-07-2014 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10418829)
Just to add to this that I ordered an MSI mobo (cheap price, SUPPOSEDLY high quality/rating) to flesh out my rebuild of my secondary gaming rig, and got itin last night and wont power up. PSU works on the old mobo, tried booting with/without ram, tried the ol power on via screwdriver trick to make sure it wasn't the front panel.

The only thing besides a DOA mobo is that my old PSU only has a single 12v connector for the mobo aits one of those 6+2 deals, and I am t hinking maybe that's the problem. Or, I guess I could have a short caused by a incorrectly placed stand off on the case.

Meh, either way ordered a new case and PSU and will wait for those to arrive before trying RMA. Scored a corsair cx 500w for 30 bucks after MIR so couldn't pass it up, and it was time anyway to replace the old off brand PSU

Btw, this is one of the few things I ordered from newegg ;( how did you get them to eat your RMA shipping etc?

I used nothing but MSI boards for quite a while. Good boards by and large. Some of the budget boards suck ass though.

hometeam 02-07-2014 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10418841)
I used nothing but MSI boards for quite a while. Good boards by and large. Some of the budget boards suck ass though.

Just been poking around, and the thought crossed my mind last night, its possible the mobo is contacting the case, even though I have all the standoffs installed.

I am going to pull it OUT of the case tonight and assemble it outside the case (should have done that first but skipped it to save on time)

then see if it powers on. If it does not, then when the new PSU arrives I will try that before RMA