ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft Draft "experts" , Do they know a damn thing? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268600)

philfree 01-08-2013 11:37 AM

That's interesting stuff but can it be used to judge the production of each GM/team in the draft? Saying Kiper and McShay suck is fine but how do they compare to the actual guys making the picks?

htismaqe 01-08-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9296139)
I used to edit Russ Lande

How ****ing hard was that?

How many times did you tell him he was a ****ing idiot?

duncan_idaho 01-08-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9296188)
How ****ing hard was that?

How many times did you tell him he was a ****ing idiot?

It was almost as bad as trying to keep a website up-to-date on AP stories and write-throughs during the NCAA basketball tournament. Almost.

I actually liked reading the scouting stuff (it wasn't all from Lande). I learned a lot from that (and was fortunate enough to have a couple of the guys willing to answer questions, watch tape with me and give me pointers, etc.)

Russ is an old-school NFL guy. That's why he always rates guys on either line so highly. It's also why he LOVES QBs who look like Mike Glennon (and I don't mean goofy - I mean tall, cement-footed pocket passers).

If I can find his original write-up of Drew Bledsoe, I'll post it on here. I wasn't working there when he did it in 94, but it was still getting passed around 10 years later...

htismaqe 01-08-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9296200)
It was almost as bad as trying to keep a website up-to-date on AP stories and write-throughs during the NCAA basketball tournament. Almost.

I actually liked reading the scouting stuff (it wasn't all from Lande). I learned a lot from that (and was fortunate enough to have a couple of the guys willing to answer questions, watch tape with me and give me pointers, etc.)

Russ is an old-school NFL guy. That's why he always rates guys on either line so highly. It's also why he LOVES QBs who look like Mike Glennon (and I don't mean goofy - I mean tall, cement-footed pocket passers).

If I can find his original write-up of Drew Bledsoe, I'll post it on here. I wasn't working there when he did it in 94, but it was still getting passed around 10 years later...

ROFL

That's awesome.

whoman69 01-08-2013 01:48 PM

I don't think the argument against them is totally fair, as accurate as it may be. Kiper tries to post himself as some great judge of talent. All their either of them really do is to try to guess where these players should be drafted. Kiper is more a self promoter who got himself a gig at a fledgling ESPN when they started covering the draft because he was the only draft wonk out there at the time.

DaneMcCloud 01-08-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 9296493)
All their either of them really do is to try to guess where these players should be drafted.

And that's the most difficult part because teams often change their boards up until the last minute.

It's not like they routinely predict that fifth rounders will be first rounders or vice versa.

The thing that most hurts guys like Mayock, Kiper, etc. is that they don't have the same access to the players as the actual teams themselves, i.e., independent psych exams, medical info, aren't in the room during the interview process, etc.

Molitoth 01-08-2013 01:56 PM

Anyone who believes these guys should look at the hype Blaine Gabbert got and just laugh it off.

Blaine Gabbert was so incredibly over hyped. This is exactly what's happening with Mike Glennon.

scho63 01-08-2013 05:20 PM

This is a little outdated, year old, but it shows how many "can't miss" players selected in the first round tanked....

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/9...history/page/1

TribalElder 01-08-2013 05:33 PM

I enjoy some of mayocks info especially his mock draft

BlackHelicopters 01-08-2013 06:20 PM

Mel Kiper has nice hair.

bevischief 01-08-2013 06:31 PM

I only listen to the ones on here.

hometeam 01-08-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 9296493)
I don't think the argument against them is totally fair, as accurate as it may be. Kiper tries to post himself as some great judge of talent. All their either of them really do is to try to guess where these players should be drafted. Kiper is more a self promoter who got himself a gig at a fledgling ESPN when they started covering the draft because he was the only draft wonk out there at the time.

I'm not sure why. They tell people, and enjoy other people telling them, that they are draft experts.

Sooooo Kiper can suck it.

I would still like to see evidence of someone having a consistently high percentage of hits.

chop 01-08-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9296105)
I don't see that. He's got Geno Smith going to the Chiefs if Brandon Albert is retained. But he says "Luke Joeckel has to be the pick" if Albert leaves.

Edit: It looks like that site has 4 different guys doing mocks. The one duncan_idaho mentioned has the Chiefs taking Geno. So do two of the others. The fourth guy has the Chiefs taking Matt Barkley.

My mistake, I looked at another article written by another person.

NEPD Staff Writer: Dan Hope
The first 24 picks in the NFL draft order are now set following the first round of the NFL playoffs, and with only one game remaining in bowl season as of Monday, the draft stocks of many prospects are much closer to set as well. As a result, we are in much better position than even one week ago to begin projecting who the top picks in the 2013 NFL draft will be.
The following mock draft includes projections for each pick in the first two rounds, with many new selections including a big change at the top of the draft.
Note: Underclassmen who have announced their intentions to declare for the draft and those who have not yet committed to returning to school as of Sunday are included.
Selections 25-32 are not yet set, and are based on playoff results projections.
1. Kansas City Chiefs: Tyler Wilson, QB, Arkansas
In Andy Reid’s first draft with the Philadelphia Eagles in 1999, they selected Donovan McNabb with the No. 2 overall pick. Reid is now the Kansas City Chiefs’ head coach, and unless the Chiefs pursue a veteran quarterback via trade or free agency, his new team will likely take the same strategy in finding their next signal-caller.
Geno Smith is considered by most as the top quarterback in this class, but his stock could be about to fall, due to some serious flaws were exposed in his game over the second half of his senior season. While this class lacks an elite quarterback, the best choice as a No. 1 overall pick would be Arkansas’ Tyler Wilson, who is the most sound all-around downfield pocket passer in the class.
Wilson has the tools to be a very solid starting quarterback at the next level, and looks like the best choice for a new Kansas City regime that must upgrade over Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn under center.