ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News Pastor refuses to tip "I give GOD 10% why do you get 18%" (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269489)

QuikSsurfer 01-30-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Vegas (Post 9364558)
I had dinner at Prime in the Bellagio. Food was excellent and the dinner experience was classy and relaxing. I tipped 20% which came out to $300 and everyone shit a brick. I remind them how their dinner experience was compared to other places and they'd come back in a heart beat. I remind them that this tip assures their service stays consistent for future visits. Hell when I went back we got a complimentary bottle of wine and a great spot in the restaurant to view the strip. They remember those that tip well.

They absolutely do.

keg in kc 01-30-2013 11:44 AM

Maybe he should tip god more, instead of tipping servers less.

Dayze 01-30-2013 11:45 AM

if our waiter/waitress is friendly, helpful, refills our drinks w/out asking, or chips/bread (as applicable); our food comes out correct; he/she stops by 1 or 2 times etc.

we'll usually give 30%; and on our way out (or before we leave) ask to see the manager and let them know that he/she is doing a great job.

it's funny to see the waiter/waitresses reaction when we ask to see their manager (if we decide to). They usually come back blushing etc; and you can tell they appreciate it.

god knows I couldn't do it; putting up with assholes like Pastor ****face.

Swanman 01-30-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 9364548)
If you have to afford being tipped to make a living, you can't afford working as a waiter. Is 20% the new 10%? I always tip around 15% and I thought it was higher than most. Still, I think tipping is stupid. I think of all the times I have tipped in my life and think back on if I never tipped in my entire life how much better it would be and how much more money I would have.

You can stop tipping when waiters get paid a living wage instead of $3 an hour.

loochy 01-30-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman (Post 9364577)

No, you can stop tipping whenever you want.

Just like the waiters can work somewhere that pays a steady normal wage.

Disclaimer: I don't support not tipping, but I support one's right to not tip.

FlaChief58 01-30-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Of course that wage will be reflected in the bill. It's a wash so, just tip the people

Swanman 01-30-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9364582)

Then you can serve yourself next time you go to a restaurant. See how that works?

mr. tegu 01-30-2013 11:49 AM

Often times when I go out to eat I think about how that person serving us may be having a bad day, they got yelled at, relationship trouble, etc. yet they still have to put on a smile and be friendly with a bunch of strangers he/she may never see again. I could not do that.

I tip good and even with bad service I don't tip bad, especially if I have reason to believe something may not be the server's fault. The lowest I will usually go is near 10%.

loochy 01-30-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman (Post 9364587)
Then you can serve yourself next time you go to a restaurant. See how that works?

Ok, I wouldn't mind that. Then I can get food and water when I want it instead of waiting or flagging someone down.

Swanman 01-30-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 9364586)
Of course that wage will be reflected in the bill. It's a wash so, just tip the people

Yes, you pay one way or the other. If you refuse to tip a normal amount, you are just screwing over the help financially.

htismaqe 01-30-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 9364514)
It is amazing to me how many people old and young that do not know that the wait staff normally doesn't make but 3 to 5 dollars an hour and tips are suppose to make up the difference plus some. A lot of people also don't know that if a person is paid in this manner and it doesn't come out to minimum wage the employer has to pay the difference at the end of the year.

This isn't about making sure they make minimum wage.

This is about incenting behavior.

I work in sales and get paid on commission. The conditions under which I get paid reinforce the work my company wants me to do.

Good tipping encourages better service.

Bad tipping is why they never come back to your table and refill your drinks.

Dayze 01-30-2013 11:50 AM

however, what DOES drive me insane is when the waitress/waiter takes our order; someone ELSE brings it out; and we don't see the waiter/waitress until we're nearly finished.

that drives me nuts.

BWillie 01-30-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 9364559)
So you want waiters to make less than minimum wage?

I want there to not be a "cultural" expectation built into their wages. Pay the waiter a fair and decent wage, and do not allow tips. Ppl will say ohh well ppl will tip anyway. Well retail stores don't allow ppl for the most part to tip, and make it if you accept a tip you are fired. This is one thing I think is BS.

Rain Man 01-30-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

When I'm elected president, this is the first thing that I'm changing. Bring them up to a livable wage and stop this whole tipping insanity.

And it would also mean more tax money for my administration since I bet that servers never report their full tips.

ILChief 01-30-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9364401)
A group of 8 or more ate in this restaurant for less than $35?

8 people can't even eat at McDonald's hardly for that amount

htismaqe 01-30-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9364573)
Maybe he should tip god more, instead of tipping servers less.

Exactly what I was thinking.

htismaqe 01-30-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 9364595)
I want there to not be a "cultural" expectation built into their wages. Pay the waiter a fair and decent wage, and do not allow tips. Ppl will say ohh well ppl will tip anyway. Well retail stores don't allow ppl for the most part to tip, and make it if you accept a tip you are fired. This is one thing I think is BS.

Retail stores don't provide a service.

Swanman 01-30-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9364589)
Often times when I go out to eat I think about how that person serving us may be having a bad day, they got yelled at, relationship trouble, etc. yet they still have to put on a smile and be friendly with a bunch of strangers he/she may never see again. I could not do that.

I tip good and even with bad service I don't tip bad, especially if I have reason to believe something may not be the server's fault. The lowest I will usually go is near 10%.

I went below 10% once and it was because we had god awful service and most of the time I saw our waitress sitting at a table with her friends during the meal instead of doing her job. That was a pretty extreme circumstance. Usually I am at a bare minimum 15%, usually over 20%.

saphojunkie 01-30-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 9364341)
Tips are excuse for Restaurants to underpay their help and add hidden cost to customers.

You're an idiot.

htismaqe 01-30-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9364594)
however, what DOES drive me insane is when the waitress/waiter takes our order; someone ELSE brings it out; and we don't see the waiter/waitress until we're nearly finished.

that drives me nuts.

Simple solution.

Don't leave a tip.

QuikSsurfer 01-30-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9364590)
Ok, I wouldn't mind that. Then I can get food and water when I want it instead of waiting or flagging someone down.

You should try eating at other places aside from Denny's.

I take a lot of pride in being a good tipper. People take notice and will go the extra mile for you afterwards.

BWillie 01-30-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 9364569)
If it were not for servers, you would'nt be able to take your spouse out to a fancy restaurant to wine & dine her. You'd be in line at McDonalds

Not true. Places like Pei Wei etc are awesome to me. I wish fancy restaurants worked that way. I don't give two shits if there is someone there to suck up to me. I like places where I order, I sit down, and they clean up my table when I'm done. No tips, and still a pleasant experience. Waiters and waitresses is really a pointless occupation IMO. I'm sure many think it's cool to have a waiter, but I do not care either way.

Dayze 01-30-2013 11:52 AM

"10%?....****ing cheap mother****er" / God

saphojunkie 01-30-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

You're an idiot, too.

Dayze 01-30-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9364604)
Simple solution.

Don't leave a tip.

yeah; at that point we basically leave 10% if that. hate doing it, but dang....

mr. tegu 01-30-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

That is the sound of the price of the food you are getting going up. Either way you will pay the price, whether by tip or by base price.

loochy 01-30-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9364603)
You're an idiot.

That statement was actually kind of true. If they paid their waitstaff (as they should), that cost would definitely be reflected in the bill. Cutting out that cost gives the illusion of a cheaper dining experience.

What other reason is there for the restaurant only paying a tiny wage?

FlaChief58 01-30-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Of course it's your choice but, if you don't tip, restaurant owners wont be able to hire good servers unless they pay a living wage. The only way they can make up the extra payroll it to raise their prices, which means you wont have a choice, you pay more.

QuikSsurfer 01-30-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

that drives me nuts.

That's common in a two-server role.. One is the "voice" while the other is the "hands".
I'm not a big fan of it either.

saphojunkie 01-30-2013 11:54 AM

All of you "I don't tip" people should bend over, put your lips on your asshole, and suck your own shit out.

HayWire 01-30-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 9364586)

Or just pay the staff appropriately, I know what my bill will be, and get rid of all this talk......just a thought.

My waiter makes 10 bucks and hour, I know exactly what me bill will be, and if he/she does great...I leave some extra money on the table, if they suck then I don't.

Johnny Vegas 01-30-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

I'm sorry, but where? where else can they find a job? can they afford to lose the job they currently have and find one in time before they run out of money they saved? Whats the current unemployment %? Easier said than done. You make it sound like people have other options that can be easily achieved.

QuikSsurfer 01-30-2013 11:54 AM

And in order to pay their employees more, all menu prices will be raised 20%...

Chief Roundup 01-30-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9364592)
This isn't about making sure they make minimum wage.

This is about incenting behavior.

I work in sales and get paid on commission. The conditions under which I get paid reinforce the work my company wants me to do.

Good tipping encourages better service.

Bad tipping is why they never come back to your table and refill your drinks.

Absolutely. I just wonder if this pastor knew that the server relies on tips.
I have noticed at several restaurants the service is far worse when in a large group. When a person receives bad service they should not be required to tip either. Of course that is what managers are for.

Swanman 01-30-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9364612)
yeah; at that point we basically leave 10% if that. hate doing it, but dang....

I imagine in those situations the tips are shared more amongst the entire team of waiters/servers/busboys instead of a huge percentage going to the waiter.

Dayze 01-30-2013 11:55 AM

LMAO
Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9364619)
All of you "I don't tip" people should bend over, put your lips on your asshole, and suck your own shit out.

LMAOLMAOLMAO

loochy 01-30-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 9364616)
Of course it's your choice but, if you don't tip, restaurant owners wont be able to hire good servers unless they pay a living wage. The only way they can make up the extra payroll it to raise their prices, which means you wont have a choice, you pay more.

Hey man, I TIP, usually 25%.

I just get really perturbed at the people that say I HAVE to tip. No, I dont.

mr. tegu 01-30-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9364604)
Simple solution.

Don't leave a tip.

Some restaraunts ask that of the employees though. So it isn't the server's fault.

loochy 01-30-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Vegas (Post 9364622)
I'm sorry, but where? where else can they find a job? can they afford to lose the job they currently have and find one in time before they run out of money they saved? Whats the current unemployment %? Easier said than done. You make it sound like people have other options that can be easily achieved.

I don't know, ask them. It's not part of the bill so it's not mandatory.

Like I said earlier, I DO TIP, and I tip well for good service.

ThaVirus 01-30-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILChief (Post 9364597)
8 people can't even eat at McDonald's hardly for that amount

I went to Burger King the other night and ordered a Double Whopper meal (medium) and it came out to $9.04 !!! True ****ing story!

I'll never eat at BK again without a coupon or some shit. For that, I'd rather shovel out another $6 or so to get a full dine-in experience.

Dayze 01-30-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9364628)

I just get really perverted at the people that say I HAVE to tip. No, I dont.

:eek:
whatever you say sicko.

loochy 01-30-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 9364631)
I went to Burger King the other night and ordered a Double Whopper meal (medium) and it came out to $9.04 !!! True ****ing story!

I'll never eat at BK again without a coupon or some shit. For that, I'd rather shovel out another $6 or so to get a full dine-in experience.

ding fries are done.

loochy 01-30-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9364634)
:eek:
whatever you say sicko.

LOL I clicked on teh wrong auto correct.

Dayze 01-30-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9364638)
LOL I clicked on teh wrong auto correct.

:evil:
I figured; but I couldn't pass it up.

mikeyis4dcats. 01-30-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9364554)
That makes about as much sense as a screen door on a battleship.

it IS BWillie07.

Hootie 01-30-2013 11:58 AM

I used to make a ton of extra money in Chicago when I waited tables by splitting checks for large parties. For some reason, in Chicago and Chicago only, restaurants basically refuse to split checks. My friends and I just got to the point where we'd always have cash on us and just throw in on the bill at the end to cover anything because every restaurant we went to there pretty much wasn't even the option to split checks. Working in Central Illinois I was so used to splitting checks (EVERYONE SPLITS CHECKS) that I'd do it no problem.

The problem is...the double grat. A lot of times auto grat is put on the bills for parties over say...8 (like this one) and some restaurants I worked at it was almost hidden underneath all of the taxes...so when you'd split these checks up sometimes the auto-grat would be less than $2 and no one would see it so you'd end up getting double tipped and beyond. We used to laugh at that as a waitstaff but it was pretty shady and I never felt SUPER good about myself.

Now in Dallas...as a manager I ran into this stuff all of the time. Where I worked it was LARGE GROUP after LARGE GROUP and every table expected split checks...well you have to know most of my waitstaff were complete morons so it was quite the treat trying to help them figure out such easy things (waiting tables is easy, I don't care what anyone says...if you used to wait tables and you struggled at it I have little respect for the amount of common sense you have as a person)...

but the #1 complain I dealt with (and you can imagine the type of person these complaints came from) was auto gratuity for large groups with split checks.

"Well I'm just paying for myself! That's not more than 8!" I'm sorry, if you have a group of 30+ freaking people that takes up two entire servers sections and then don't feel like you need to tip even though they make $2.13 an hour and you take up their sections for 2+ hours of their time...

JFC

NOW, I am totally with Rain Man about tipping. Just freaking bump the waiters at Chili's up to $11 an hour, bump the fancy servers up to $13-$15 an hour, and get rid of tipping in general. The only problem with this is motivation. I was always paranoid about people hating me so I always gave 100% regardless of whether or not I was serving Bill Gates or a homeless man...I made enough money and didn't judge people by whether or not I believed I'd be getting a tip.

However, the typical waiter/waitress isn't nearly as educated as me (I'm an underachiever) and if you just start paying them an hourly wage you're rarely ever going to get that "extra mile" you'll get with good service that is tipped on.

htismaqe 01-30-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJKid (Post 9364620)
Or just pay the staff appropriately, I know what my bill will be, and get rid of all this talk......just a thought.

My waiter makes 10 bucks and hour, I know exactly what me bill will be, and if he/she does great...I leave some extra money on the table, if they suck then I don't.

If all of the waiters in the place are making $10 an hour, you're $10 meal became a $20 meal.

That 20% tip is chump change compared to that.

FlaChief58 01-30-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJKid (Post 9364620)

Yup, your $8 hamburger just went to $18. Sounds great :facepalm:

saphojunkie 01-30-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9364614)
That statement was actually kind of true. If they paid their waitstaff (as they should), that cost would definitely be reflected in the bill. Cutting out that cost gives the illusion of a cheaper dining experience.

What other reason is there for the restaurant only paying a tiny wage?

It is impossible to negate that payment from the customer without ****ing over the server.

The idiotic thing are these cheap assholes who want the restaurant to cover the service charge in the total cost of the meal. Guess what? Then you cease to decide if the server gets 15% or 18% or 25% or 10%. It will just be a flat 20%, invisible service charge. Or maybe 30%. You'll never know. It will just be hidden within the cost on the menu.

So now you have ****ed yourself because you were too cheap. Congrats.

Additionally, most of these assholes are hiding behind "Derp the serviss wasnt good enuff!" to justify their asshattery. As if tipping 8.00 is SOOOOOOOOO much harder than tipping $5.00.

Well, guess what? When you cease to make server's pay merit-based, what do you think you will get? Better service?

Try eating in Europe and tell me who gives better service. And I'm not slamming Europe. I spend a great deal of my time there, and I personally love that the servers don't work for tips and get health insurance and vacation. You get better service, just not as attentive (I think).

But all of this is just assholes trying to find some sliver of a justification for ****ing over somebody who is trying to serve them.

**** them.

FlaChief58 01-30-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

If it's a table of 4, I agree. We're talking about a party of 20 though.

Swanman 01-30-2013 12:02 PM

The funny thing is even if the asshat crossed out the automatic gratuity, I think it will still be charged.

loochy 01-30-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9364648)
It is impossible to negate that payment from the customer without ****ing over the server.

The idiotic thing are these cheap assholes who want the restaurant to cover the service charge in the total cost of the meal. Guess what? Then you cease to decide if the server gets 15% or 18% or 25% or 10%. It will just be a flat 20%, invisible service charge. Or maybe 30%. You'll never know. It will just be hidden within the cost on the menu.

So now you have ****ed yourself because you were too cheap. Congrats.

Additionally, most of these assholes are hiding behind "Derp the serviss wasnt good enuff!" to justify their asshattery. As if tipping 8.00 is SOOOOOOOOO much harder than tipping $5.00.

Well, guess what? When you cease to make server's pay merit-based, what do you think you will get? Better service?

Try eating in Europe and tell me who gives better service. And I'm not slamming Europe. I spend a great deal of my time there, and I personally love that the servers don't work for tips and get health insurance and vacation. You get better service, just not as attentive (I think).

But all of this is just assholes trying to find some sliver of a justification for ****ing over somebody who is trying to serve them.

**** them.

LOL @ beggars

loochy 01-30-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman (Post 9364655)
The funny thing is even if the asshat crossed out the automatic gratuity, I think it will still be charged.

as it should be...and it will be, right?

saphojunkie 01-30-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

You don't HAVE to be faithful to your wife.
You don't HAVE to give up your seat to an elderly woman with a respirator.
You don't HAVE to help a lost child find his mom.
You don't HAVE to tell someone they just dropped their wallet.
You don't HAVE to take responsibility for your actions.
You don't HAVE to tell the truth.
You don't HAVE to do any number of things that the social contract expects of you, even though it cannot demand them.

You don't have to...

But you're an asshole if you don't.

Hootie 01-30-2013 12:06 PM

now I have worked with plenty of people over the years that probably never deserve a tip

9 times out of 10 though...you're either dealing with someone completely incompetent who is trying but is just not able to handle it (which is totally perplexing to me) or someone who has such horrible personal issues going on that they just cannot concentrate on doing their jobs. Or you get good service.

1 time out of 10 you get that true asshole who is a shitty server just to be a shitty server and doesn't give a **** what you think.

So the next time you are rude to a server or call over management or are just pissed off...just realize you're probably...

A) Way better off than them
B) They probably aren't doing it on purpose and
C) Be appreciative for A

because no matter what issues you are facing, every time you get piss poor service from some moron who can't even handle waiting tables...just realize it could always be worse!

and I'm not bashing waiters/waitresses/bartenders...I respect the hell out of the good ones and you can make a shit ton of money doing it...

I am bashing the ones in society who can't even handle waiting freaking tables. Effort and a pinch of common sense is all it takes. You don't have those two things then you are truly ****ed.

saphojunkie 01-30-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9364658)
LOL @ beggars

This joke didn't work.

HayWire 01-30-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9364644)
If all of the waiters in the place are making $10 an hour, you're $10 meal became a $20 meal.

That 20% tip is chump change compared to that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 9364645)
Yup, your $8 hamburger just went to $18. Sounds great :facepalm:

Don't get my wrong, I tip and have no problem with it, I was just offering another solution instead of a douche nozzle not tipping and a waiter bitching about it.

Hootie 01-30-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman (Post 9364655)

Oh it will, lol. To be honest, the person who wrote that on the check probably wasn't even a pastor...it was probably just some lame attempt to get "famous" on reddit...if I were to guess.

Swanman 01-30-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9364670)
I am bashing the ones in society who can't even handle waiting freaking tables. Effort and a pinch of common sense is all it takes. You don't have those two things then you are truly ****ed.

Running around for hours at a time while dealing with assholes probably isn't as easy as you make it out to be.

loochy 01-30-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9364667)
You don't HAVE to do any number of things that the social contract expects of you, even though it cannot demand them.

You don't have to...

Ok so people don't have to tip.

Ok.

loochy 01-30-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman (Post 9364679)
Running around for hours at a time while dealing with assholes probably isn't as easy as you make it out to be.

And that's why I never wanted to be a waiter. I probably wouldn't make it 1 day.

My friend did it through college and loved it though.

The Franchise 01-30-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9364661)

Yeah....that shit is posted all over the restaurant, menus and receipts. Just because you cross it out.....doesn't mean you aren't going to pay for it.

ChiTown 01-30-2013 12:11 PM

I generally tip anywhere between 15 and 20%. I have only no-tipped a server one time, and it was last November on a trip to NYC. It took the waiter 30 minutes to get to our table. He didn't take our drink order, he barely spoke to us, ****ed our order up, the food sucked, and brought out the check with our food (which ****ING) pisses me off.

I wrote him a note and tipped him everything he deserved - $0

Hootie 01-30-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

that drives me nuts.

I wouldn't let other people touch my food...even if we had what is called a "food runner" on busy nights.

But for the record, a lot of restaurants have "food runners" so your food doesn't get cold while you're waiter is taking an order at a different table, you know, since they have more than just 1 table.

Me, I had an internal clock which was pretty much spot on that would tell me when my food should be close to up so I could be back there traying it up so I could deliver it in order to my table...because I ****ing hated ****ers who messed shit up for me and made my job more difficult (which happened from time to time with said food runners)...

but yeah, getting mad about someone else bringing your food to your table is ridiculous. I think everyone should work in a restaurant to realize how restaurants work.

SPOILER

every single one of your meals at any chain restaurant or 3 star or below restaurant is cooked by a mexican, probably not legal, and they don't wear gloves

ENJOY

saphojunkie 01-30-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

It's not. It also depends on how the restaurant is run.

Restaurants seem to be the simplest things in the world, and yet it's nearly impossible to run one perfectly from kitchen to table. You just are relying on too many individuals with no cohesive strategy.

In that regard, I do prefer the European style of service. It is less of an "every man for himself!" approach (cue the Commie backlash), where each server is just trying to get in, get his, and get out in time to get ****ed up before the bars close.

You don't have a "section." Everyone kind of is at work together.

I don't know. I'm just glad that I haven't waited tables for long enough that I no longer have nightmares about having a full section and no one has food and I'm in the weeds and I want to die.

Chief Roundup 01-30-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9364661)

Yes but if he paid with a credit card he can dispute the charge and get the gratuity removed.

saphojunkie 01-30-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9364680)
Ok so people don't have to tip.

Ok.

:rolleyes:

loochy 01-30-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 9364692)
Yes but if he paid with a credit card he can dispute the charge and get the gratuity removed.

Then couldn't the restaurant charge him with walking out on his bill?

Dayze 01-30-2013 12:15 PM

God's service sucked; so he only got 10%.
God should be a little more motivated. And, possibly add more pieces of flare.

Hootie 01-30-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

except for most people, 95% of them, aren't assholes unless you give them a reason to be...

I did this for almost 8 years...maybe I was just better than 99% of the people that did this...that's what I always figured at least.

ThaVirus 01-30-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

You don't have to...

This is a pretty good post, here.

Also, when I'm tipping, I like to throw in a couple more bucks than what I originally think would be a good tip. My reasoning is that I won't miss those extra couple bucks but it could make the server's night (been there before..).

You should really budget for that kind of shit. Honestly, have you EVER missed some money that you used to tip a service worker? If so, then you're probably a ****ing reerun when it comes to money..

Hootie 01-30-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9364691)
I don't know. I'm just glad that I haven't waited tables for long enough that I no longer have nightmares about having a full section and no one has food and I'm in the weeds and I want to die.

ROFL

Those dreams were the worst.

Hahahaha.

The Franchise 01-30-2013 12:17 PM

One thing that pisses me off.....

I order some take out food from a restaurant and when I go to pick it up the cashier hands me a receipt to sign with a "tip" section on it. Then when I don't put anything in.....I get this weird look like I was supposed to tip.

**** you. I drove here to pick up my food. Cooks don't make $2 an hour. Blow me.

BWillie 01-30-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9364619)

I tip. I just don't want to. The only time I don't tip as much as others is when I play poker, and even then. I tip every pot that goes to showdown regardless of how big the pot is and an occasional big pot that doesn't here and there. I just think it's time to change how restaurants operate. Ppl will still give service they deserve, their boss or manager just has to hold them accountable. My experience as a waiter, tipping was largely static anyway. It didn't make much of a difference how good my service was based on my tip. There was a much larger correlation to how large the bill is.

Hootie 01-30-2013 12:17 PM

the only reason I'm out of the industry was because I was worn out...I miss it. So easy to land hot co-workers.

Dayze 01-30-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

You don't have to...

screw that kid. bastard shouldn't have lost her in the first place.

The Franchise 01-30-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9364700)
except for most people, 95% of them, aren't assholes unless you give them a reason to be...

I did this for almost 8 years...maybe I was just better than 99% of the people that did this...that's what I always figured at least.

I've never once been an asshole to someone who is my waiter. They could be the dumbest mother****er on the planet....and I'd be nice to them.

scho63 01-30-2013 12:18 PM

I feel tipping has gotten so out of hand.

I normally do 20% but one of the things that bothers me is if I order an expensive meal and have expensive drinks with a bill of $80 just for me and some shithead orders 5 glasses of water, condiments, the special, sends his meal back once and his bill is $25 with the server doing 5x's more work, he gets away with a $4-5 tip and mine is $16.

I also eat at the bar 99% of the time but still tip 20%

I HATE all these tip jars at everyplace you buy something

BWillie 01-30-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 9364623)
And in order to pay their employees more, all menu prices will be raised 20%...

Exactly, so if you DO tip. You are subsidizing for those who refuse to do so. How does that make you feel? Basically, the moral of this story is, it is in your best interest to NEVER tip. You will get a service and your meal much cheaper, and others will pay your way.

Hootie 01-30-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9364706)
One thing that pisses me off.....

I order some take out food from a restaurant and when I go to pick it up the cashier hands me a receipt to sign with a "tip" section on it. Then when I don't put anything in.....I get this weird look like I was supposed to tip.

**** you. I drove here to pick up my food. Cooks don't make $2 an hour. Blow me.

That's super annoying, I do agree. I hate it. Makes me not want to order carry out. I don't like feeling awkward in tipping situations since I made a living on tips for so long. However, some restaurants put bartenders on "carry out" duty and when I worked at a restaurant for the first time and found out tipping on carry out was "expected" I was shocked. Ridiculous.