ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News My father the Vet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=187644)

KC2004 07-22-2008 10:38 PM

My father the Vet

My dad is a Vietnam vet. Nothing strange about that a lot of us are kids of vets of WWII, Korea, or Vietnam. What i find strange is that most Vietnam Vets are quiet about their service. I don't talk to my Dad much about the war or what happened. He offers bits and pieces of the war thats amusing but lays off when it goes to the sad side of war. He did two voluntery tours and won a bronze star. If ya asked him he deserved none of the awards and was just lucky. To me my Dad is a hero! No matter what he did in Nam he will always be the man to me. He took alot of shit when he got home. Thoughts may have changed since then but you got to realize that that's whats sticks out in my fathers mind most about the war. I'm not preaching about Vietnam or what happen 30 years ago and don't think my Dad would want me to. I Just want to make sure we thank our Vets this time cause they didn't ask to go.....we sent them. To all the guys and gals out there protecting my freedom THANK YOU!!!!!:clap:

Skip Towne 07-22-2008 10:43 PM

I did my part '68 - '73.

KC2004 07-22-2008 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne (Post 4862429)
I did my part '68 - '73.

Thank you!!!!!!

Mr. Flopnuts 07-22-2008 10:47 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

Vietnam is the reason soldiers aren't dealing with that bullshit today. We learned from our mistakes, we realize that these kids don't ask for this life. It's a shame your dad had to endure those trials, but being a true American hero is never easy. Give your pops a manly clap on the shoulder for Mr. Flopnuts the next time you see him.

KC2004 07-22-2008 10:51 PM

I offered once to take my dad's medals and put them in a display case but he told me they needed to stay where they were. I was young and didn't understand that they may have brought him bad memories. I'm proud of him and my bro-inlaw that served a year in IRAQ.

Phobia 07-22-2008 10:51 PM

Yeah - Vietnam guys had it bad. I came home from Desert Storm with a chest full of medals and ribbons - 10 or 11 of them - some deserved, some just right (or wrong) place. I don't think the 'nam guys got that many for multiple tours so I feel kinda guilty about them. I even got a shadow box a couple Christmases ago and still haven't put anything in it. Maybe one day.

FAX 07-22-2008 10:54 PM

Kudos to your dad, Mr. KC2004. Nam was a hell hole. I'm glad he made it back and he deserves our praise and respect. My older brother's name is on the wall and I, for one, will never forgive the bastards in Washington who saw to it we lost those lives.

FAX

KC2004 07-22-2008 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 4862444)
Yeah - Vietnam guys had it bad. I came home from Desert Storm with a chest full of medals and ribbons - 10 or 11 of them - some deserved, some just right (or wrong) place. I don't think the 'nam guys got that many for multiple tours so I feel kinda guilty about them. I even got a shadow box a couple Christmases ago and still haven't put anything in it. Maybe one day.

It amazes me that most people forget about you guys. Maybe it's cause you guys kicked ass so quick. None the less thank you Phobia for your service.

KC2004 07-22-2008 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 4862451)
Kudos to your dad, Mr. KC2004. Nam was a hell hole. I'm glad he made it back and he deserves our praise and respect. My older brother's name is on the wall and I, for one, will never forgive the bastards in Washington who saw to it we lost those lives.

FAX

Sorry to hear that bro. Don't know what to say. Your brother gave the ultimate sacrifice for his country and I wanna say thank you. Home of the free and the land of the brave. Had to be tough.

Phobia 07-22-2008 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC2004 (Post 4862454)
It amazes me that most people forget about you guys. Maybe it's cause you guys kicked ass so quick. None the less thank you Phobia for your service.

It was rough over there but nothing like the 'nam guys and the current Iraq guys are going through. I don't deserve too much credit. I was a lowly boot over there. Some of my greatest achievements were burning crappers. Heh.

Phobia 07-22-2008 11:20 PM

Quote:

FAX

I did not know that. Sorry for your loss. You don't give out too much of yourself out here. Thanks for sharing.

DaneMcCloud 07-22-2008 11:34 PM

Quote:

FAX

Mr. Fax,

Out of your 17,000+ posts filled with quirky advice, humor and disdain, this has to be the most disheartening and honest of them all.

I feel for your loss. Even after all these years.

Best to you and your family.

DaneMcCloud 07-22-2008 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 4862444)

As a guy who never considered joining the military, whenever we get together (hopefully before we both kick it!), I'd really like to hear your stories of service.

And even though you may not feel like you earned those medals and commendations, I pretty damn sure that you did.

mauifan 07-22-2008 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 4862486)
It was rough over there but nothing like the 'nam guys and the current Iraq guys are going through. I don't deserve too much credit. I was a lowly boot over there. Some of my greatest achievements were burning crappers. Heh.

Hey Phobes.., Long time no see..,

MadMax 07-23-2008 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne (Post 4862429)
I did my part '68 - '73.

And God bless you Skip... 84-90 here old man :) I have nothing but total respect for all that have served. And I mourn the loss of all that gave ALL!! The Big Red One rolls on and kicks ass and takes names...And to Phobia, if you got medals, you earned them IMHO... Take care everyone here I am in a state of " Pissed at the world " because of my illnesses...I wanna thank everyone and I mean everyone for allowing me to express my emotions lol