ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   KU **** OFFICIAL 2013-2014 Kansas Basketball Repository Thread **** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271595)

DJay23 03-30-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9540972)
I know Embiid is a little raw. But he's a legit 7 ft right?

Right now is he more of a polished defender or offensive post presence?

What I've read puts him as having lotto potential. He hasn't been playing basketball for long but apparently he's coming along. I think he started as a defensive monster but has been developing pretty rapidly on the offensive end. My guess is he doesn't see many minutes next year but if the rumors of his potential are true, he'll start as a sophomore.

Pants 03-30-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9540699)
The loss of Withey will be felt massively. He pretty much singlehandedly made KU a national title contender over the last two years. Self's teams are known for their defense, of course, so I'm sure they'll still be fine in that area. But having a dependable defensive center that is able to cover up for everyone else's mistakes like they've had with Withey for 2 years (and Aldrich before him for 2 years) is invaluable. Everybody else is going to have to just pick up the defensive intensity even more to make up for it.

Joel Embiid's length and athleticism is going to make him a devastating defensive presence in the paint from day 1, IMO. That should help offset the loss of Withey somewhat.

I'm a little scared of our perimeter D with Tharpe being our PG1.

Ceej 03-30-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJay23 (Post 9541124)
What I've read puts him as having lotto potential. He hasn't been playing basketball for long but apparently he's coming along. I think he started as a defensive monster but has been developing pretty rapidly on the offensive end. My guess is he doesn't see many minutes next year but if the rumors of his potential are true, he'll start as a sophomore.

I think I would rather have him be more gifted defensively, rather offensively at this point. I like having a big guy down low who can block and/or alter shots.

I think I would disagree about his minutes though. I bet he plays plenty. Our frontcourt depth next year isn't the greatest - Ellis, Lucas, Greene, Wesley, Embiid, Traylor.

Is there anyone else I am missing?

DJay23 03-30-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9541173)
I think I would rather have him be more gifted defensively, rather offensively at this point. I like having a big guy down low who can block and/or alter shots.

I think I would disagree about his minutes though. I bet he plays plenty. Our frontcourt depth next year isn't the greatest - Ellis, Lucas, Greene, Wesley, Embiid, Traylor.

Is there anyone else I am missing?

I always temper my enthusiasm about incoming freshman. The college game can be hard to adjust to. Some take a while (Ellis) some not so much (Marcus Smart).

Prison Bitch 03-30-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 9540192)
I do too, but it could be a lot better. Travis, while a great defender, was just that. It short handed us at times because of his limited offensive skill set. Jeff definitely yes, but sure it could get better there as well. More athletic and more well rounded offensively. It's not the end of the world. Shout out to Self for getting what he could out of all the seniors.

What on earth are you talking about? Releford had one of the highest offensive efficiency years in Kansas history this season. That's not good? He is the perfect player: incredible defender, handles the ball, and only takes open shots/transition shots. He's a huge critical loss and we cannot overcome him or Withey or Ben being gone.

The good news is we gain something by ridding ourselves of that human head lice EJ.

Ceej 03-30-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJay23 (Post 9541186)
I always temper my enthusiasm about incoming freshman. The college game can be hard to adjust to. Some take a while (Ellis) some not so much (Marcus Smart).

I don't have any expectations.

But, my assumption would be he would play because our lack of front court depth.

TLO 03-30-2013 10:57 AM

I couldn't hardly stomach any social media or TV last night. I come back today and we've already got a thread up for next season. I love this place.

CoMoChief 03-30-2013 11:00 AM

I'm still shocked as to what happened last night.

Silock 03-30-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 9541170)
Joel Embiid's length and athleticism is going to make him a devastating defensive presence in the paint from day 1, IMO. That should help offset the loss of Withey somewhat.

I'm a little scared of our perimeter D with Tharpe being our PG1.

I'm a little worried about the D, but our offense is going to be 1000% better.

Thig Lyfe 03-30-2013 11:06 AM

So when are we gonna have a PG who isn't a total dipshit?

Mr_Tomahawk 03-30-2013 11:25 AM

I think Joel is going to shock some people on this board. He is so naturally gifted that the summer camps will be enough to mold him to compete with Lucas for a starting spot.

This team will be young... But much more talented than last years team. There is was some talent on our bench that would have started on just about any other big 12 team.

Braincase 03-30-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thig Lyfe (Post 9541228)

Naadir has grown a lot this year. Adding Frankamp and Mason next year.

5 PG's on the radar for 2014, 3 of 'em 5 stars. We oughta land one or two.

Braincase 03-30-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Smoke (Post 9541209)
I couldn't hardly stomach any social media or TV last night. I come back today and we've already got a thread up for next season. I love this place.

We are a lovable collection of obnoxious, dedicated assholes. Screw the haters.

Prison Bitch 03-30-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thig Lyfe (Post 9541228)

No, we still have Tharpe who farted out a nice 1-8 last night in a tight loss. He's the latest dumb guard in the Self horse stable. The days of Russell and Mario loom further in the rear view mirror with each passing day .....

Thig Lyfe 03-30-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9541270)
No, we still have Tharpe who farted out a nice 1-8 last night in a tight loss. He's the latest dumb guard in the Self horse stable. The days of Russell and Mario loom further in the rear view mirror with each passing day .....

Sherron-Tyshawn-Elijah has been one heckuva sequence. I hope Tharpe continues to improve; we was more reliable than Elijah most of the year. What's the word on that Conner kid?