ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Installing a passenger side mirror? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270970)

Saul Good 03-11-2013 12:50 PM

Exoter: Let us know the name of your shop if you're so proud of your business practices.

Exoter175 03-11-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9485379)
They can raise their rates up to whatever they want. Rounding up hours is borderline unethical. At the very least, it should be disclosed that they bill based on full hours, minimum labor charges, book times, etc. Simply fabricating hours that were never worked and never should have been worked is theft. (It's also illegal.)

Source: I used to work as an insurance adjuster.

So, which am I? Because according to your post here, I'm an honest businessman, but a few posts back I am a crook.

Exoter175 03-11-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9485383)
Mechanics don't punch a clock in and out on a job. From my understanding, most repairs have a "set time" in the books for how long they should take. If the mechanics finish early, customers aren't catching a break on cost.

Bingo.

King_Chief_Fan 03-11-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exoter175 (Post 9485362)
Explain to me how I am a thief, I'd love to hear that.

Not a single business in this country charges their labor hour based on the actual time spent. Not even ol' buddy Sauto can claim that with a straight face.

:banghead:

so, are you up front with the customer and tell them that it takes 45 minutes to fix but I am charging you for two hours?
Are you going to pay the plumber for two hours work when he does 1 hour worth? YOu would raise all kinds of hillbilly hell if a plumber did that to you.

Saul Good 03-11-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Mechanics don't punch a clock in and out on a job. From my understanding, most repairs have a "set time" in the books for how long they should take. If the mechanics finish early, customers aren't catching a break on cost.

Right, but you don't get to bill for the book hours times 120% just because you feel like it.

King_Chief_Fan 03-11-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

then the book should be updated and allow the business to get a few more suckers...er I mean customers in the repair shop

Exoter175 03-11-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9485387)
Exoter: Let us know the name of your shop if you're so proud of your business practices.

I don't own or run a shop anymore, as you know full well before asking the question. My partner and I both sold out of that shop to take higher paying jobs at dealerships, spending way less hours for more money.

You knew that before you asked the question, but you believe that since I no longer own a business, that I am somehow discredited from discussion, right?

Or you attempt to use the fact that I no longer own the business, as a reason to attack me, slandering me along the way.

right? Thought so. As predictable as ever.

Hootie 03-11-2013 12:53 PM

in conclusion;

no one knows how business works, you know, other than exoter

Saul Good 03-11-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exoter175 (Post 9485389)
So, which am I? Because according to your post here, I'm an honest businessman, but a few posts back I am a crook.

The ****? You aren't honest. You fabricate hours out of whole cloth and bill your clients for time you never spent working on their vehicle.

DeezNutz 03-11-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9485394)
Right, but you don't get to bill for the book hours times 120% just because you feel like it.

Yeah, that would be unethical. Rates shouldn't be set capriciously.

King_Chief_Fan 03-11-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9485400)
in conclusion;

no one knows how business works, you know, other than exoter

we all know now!

notorious 03-11-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steron (Post 9485384)
Even if both are working at the same shop? I would guess that the more experienced tech gets the more difficult jobs.

Just for argument's sake.

Hootie's mirror is a 2 hour job. A newer guy gets this assignment. Is there still the 2.4 hour quote or based on simplicity, does it get a 2 hour quote?

Say my transmission is an 8 hour job. An experienced guy gets that assignment. Does the labor hour quote get the added .4 based on having to pay that tech more?

I will let the mechanics answer the question about labor.

On flooring, I charge by the foot, just as a mechanic charges for "labor hour". I get the work done 2-3 times faster than a normal person because I have experience and great equipment.

A professional shouldn't get paid less because they are more efficient at doing the job.

Simply put, not all hours are equal.

Old Dog 03-11-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exoter175 (Post 9485362)
Explain to me how I am a thief, I'd love to hear that.
Not a single business in this country charges their labor hour based on the actual time spent. Not even ol' buddy Sauto can claim that with a straight face.

For ****s sake, why should I explain it. You explained it in the post I quoted below. You and I both know that most book times are not an accurate representation of how long it normally takes to do a job and to claim otherwise is asinine. Inflating an already inflated number is thievery.

As for the second part of your post, you're moving the goal posts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exoter175 (Post 9485174)
Simply put, Labor Hour is what I'm going to charge you PER HOUR to fix your car. IT doesn't stop there though, because I'm probably going to pull up something like Mitchell or Alldata to find out how long it is going to take me to fix it, when you come in and ask for a quote, and I'm probably going to mark up the base labor hour by 10-25% on top of that.

Steron 03-11-2013 12:56 PM

Please find the dude who ripped off your mirror and buy him a beer for me. This thread made my day.

Exoter175 03-11-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King_Chief_Fan (Post 9485391)
:banghead:

so, are you up front with the customer and tell them that it takes 45 minutes to fix but I am charging you for two hours?
Are you going to pay the plumber for two hours work when he does 1 hour worth? YOu would raise all kinds of hillbilly hell if a plumber did that to you.

I would thank the plumber for doing a fast job, I wouldn't ask him to charge me less.

I show the customer exactly what they are paying for from every step of the job long before I even ask for a signature to grant me the permission to work and bill them.

I explain to them how long the job books for, that is it. I don't charge them less if it is done faster, and I don't charge them more if it takes longer. I charge them book.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9485394)

Yeah, you can. Book Hours are not uniform nor standard, they are not a universal guideline for getting work done. They are just a suggestion for how long a certified mechanic should take. Every place I've ever worked for, ever business I've started, has a book markup to maximize profits.

It is simply business and how it works.