ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Say what you will but when the chips are down (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276464)

Garcia Bronco 09-20-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Faithful (Post 10001654)
I expect both teams punters will be able to skip that game.

No way. There will be punts. I said it on the Mane the other day, the Chiefs Dline and LB play is exceptional at worst. It should be good. Lotta high draft picks. :)

Garcia Bronco 09-20-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 10001791)
That may be the case.

But as has been the case from the jump - he's the best that was available to us. And I still believe that he'll look more and more like the Alex Smith that played under Harbaugh as he gets more comfortable.

Urban Meyer's criticisms of him were the most fascinating I've read to date by far. He flat out said that Alex Smith does not like being uncomfortable within an offense. He's a programmed QB that won't improvise and as a result, he needs to know an offense backwards and forwards before he becomes a plus passer. He noted that Smith's great when he knows the offense, but that he's too conservative in getting to that point.

Guess what - your boy Manning's the same way. Smith's not Manning, don't get me wrong, but Manning's played in the same offense for a decade and doesn't improvise ever. He's a quarterbacking robot. Well that's the kind of game that Smith wants to play. But he needs to be confident in his weapons and comfortable in the offense before he provides even a reasonable facsimile of that.

He's not great. He'll never be great. But by the end of the season he'll be a hell of a lot better than he is now and right now he's smart enough to have us at 3-0.

It's funny that you say that because I heard people calling Smith a "Game Manager" as some kind of negative. WTF is Manning then? He's certainly a game manager. An exceptional one to be sure, but he's still manging the game and taking what the defense gives him. The difference is Manning knows how to attack a defense, where Smith is too timid to do so. It's almost like he doesn't have the mean streak required to be the absolute best.

Nightfyre 09-20-2013 02:00 PM

I think Andy Reid needs to be willing to run the ball early in the game as well as late in the game. I was cussing out the playcalling the whole first half it felt like. That drive in the third quarter that ate over eight minutes - that is how we should be running our offense.

Also, the offensive line really needs to step it up in both running and pass protection. I mean, we couldn't convert on 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1? With Jamaal ****ing Charles?

petegz28 09-20-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike in SW-MO (Post 10002427)
I think our fear &I loathing comes from watching Chiefs go 13-3 built on massive dominance in 2 of 3 phases of the game compensating for sheer ineptitude in the third.

Through the regular season.

Then one & done in playoffs. We just hope it' s not where we are headed. Most people I know figured the D would be fine but afraid the O could not keep up.

Sounds tired but I have to say, let's get to the playoffs before we start worrying about how far we go.

petegz28 09-20-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 10002461)
I think Andy Reid needs to be willing to run the ball early in the game as well as late in the game. I was cussing out the playcalling the whole first half it felt like. That drive in the third quarter that ate over eight minutes - that is how we should be running our offense.

Also, the offensive line really needs to step it up in both running and pass protection. I mean, we couldn't convert on 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1? With Jamaal ****ing Charles?

The bright side of not running it early is JC has fresh legs in the 4th. We've seen that and needed that 2 games in a row now.

Mav 09-20-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craneref (Post 10001439)
Does this offense have a slant play? I know they do but why don't they throw it and take more advantage of the screen. I think Smith is best when he isn't hanging on to the ball. That said, the last two weeks the O has had HUGE drives to secure the W. I love the resiliency of this team. Go CHIEFS!!!

They do. And they ran it on third down, and Alex Smith threw a STRIKE to Aj Jenkins, and he dropped it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 10001528)
He is an average QB at best and because he doesn't test himself will most likely come up short. Take heart, if Trent Dilfer can win a championship then any pro can.

Yeah, Great analogy. I know you aren't trolling, but do you understand what you are saying? Trent Dilfer and Alex Smith are on such different planets of qbing. Doesn't Test himself? Im sorry, but 3rd and 10 from your own end zone, and you BACK SHOULDER your receiver. If that isn't TESTING yourself, im not sure what is.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 10002461)

All of THIS.

29 pass calls in the first half, with most of them coming from the shot gun. yet, when they put alex under center, lined up Anthony Sherman in front of Jamaal, they DESTROYED the line of scrimmage, and moved the ball at will.

The plays that stood out to me.

The one where they motioned mccluster, and had him run the option with Alex Smith. BURN THAT PLAY FROM THE UNIVERSE.

Then, they ran back to back playaction bootlegs, on BACK TO BACK PLAYS, despite not establishing the run at all.

I swear to god, its like Andy Reid was having a heart attack, and was just randomly calling out plays. it was RIDICULOUS.

Mav 09-20-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike in SW-MO (Post 10002427)
I think our fear &I loathing comes from watching Chiefs go 13-3 built on massive dominance in 2 of 3 phases of the game compensating for sheer ineptitude in the third.

Through the regular season.

Then one & done in playoffs. We just hope it' s not where we are headed. Most people I know figured the D would be fine but afraid the O could not keep up.

In the recent NFL, it has been proven that if you are going to have two of the three, and go into the playoffs, you want your defense to be stronger than your offense.

The giants proved it two years ago, the Saints defense was hellacious, and it was ultimately their defense that beat Neckbone.

The Steelers defense beat the cardinals.

Teams that offensive first, like the 2011 packers, the 2007 patriots, the 2011 patriots, tend to lose in the playoffs when they cant run the ball, and cant get stops........

ChiefsFanatic 09-21-2013 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 10002269)
What about the 5 previous trips that all ended in TD's????/

Exactly. What was it about the bad Eagles defense that made it impossible for us to score, or even make an attempt to throw it into the endzone? Dallas has a much better defense, and Jacksonville's might be better than Philly too.

Simply Red 09-21-2013 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic (Post 10006329)
Exactly. What was it about the bad Eagles defense that made it impossible for us to score, or even make an attempt to throw it into the endzone? Dallas has a much better defense, and Jacksonville's might be better than Philly too.

Hope you're well - haven't noticed you post in a bit.

mikey23545 09-22-2013 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 10002183)
When you have a defense that can play at a good level then it is not bad to be risk adverse as a QB. Not saying Smith is Montana but I can remember him saying that if the play isn't there then live to fight the next series.

In the middle of the game last night I had to leave the game thread because the negativity was just overflowing at epic levels. The chat room was much more composed. I turned to my wife and said people have short memories because I can remember a Monday night game at Arrowhead with Montana that we beat Elway and the Broncos with 5 FG's and the score was like 15-7.

I just want to win and I don't care if it's defense, offense, special teams, whatever. You don't get an extra win for being pretty on offense and you don't get less of a win because you only threw for 200 yards in a dink-dunk fashion.

I felt the same way...It used to be very enjoyable to follow the game on Chiefsplanet, but now it is almost sickening in here during the game.

These ****ing chocolate-cum swallowing jackasses that can't get over the Chiefs not drafting their fantasy lover-man will never get over their bitter disappointment, I guess...

threebag 09-22-2013 04:35 AM

I never wanted Geno. I like Alex and wouldn't mind having Josh Freeman.

GOB 09-22-2013 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 10002583)
In the recent NFL, it has been proven that if you are going to have two of the three, and go into the playoffs, you want your defense to be stronger than your offense.

The giants proved it two years ago, the Saints defense was hellacious, and it was ultimately their defense that beat Neckbone.

The Steelers defense beat the cardinals.

Teams that offensive first, like the 2011 packers, the 2007 patriots, the 2011 patriots, tend to lose in the playoffs when they cant run the ball, and cant get stops........

You are spot on.

I really think the best analogue to the 2013 chiefs are the 2011-2012 niners. Same quarterback, similar team strengths.

Look at the kind of teams they lost to:
- lost to the cowboys in Week 2 of 2011
- lost to the Ravens
- lost to the Giants
- lost to the Cardinals
- lost to the Vikings
- lost to the Giants

None of them were high-flying passing attack teams. All of them were against teams with defenses that were playing well at the time.

On the other hand, they beat the Dream Team Eagles, the packers twice, and the Saints.

I don't think these types of teams are what the Chiefs need to worry about. It is balanced teams that are tough

OrtonsPiercedTaint 09-22-2013 08:14 AM

Some threads you don't really need to open and read. You already know the score.

crossbow 09-22-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 10002444)
No way. There will be punts. I said it on the Mane the other day, the Chiefs Dline and LB play is exceptional at worst. It should be good. Lotta high draft picks. :)

I don't understand how people can be so eager to forget how good Denver's defense is. They propelled that team into the playoffs with Tim Tebow as their QB just a few years ago. Punting will be very important in these matchups. Denver is strong and scary.