ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life So Im (finally) having knee surgery tomorrow. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270219)

Carlota69 02-20-2013 01:08 PM

So Im (finally) having knee surgery tomorrow.

I tore my ACL and Miniscus on Oct 4th. I was suppose to have surgery Dec 20th but sickness interfered. Then it got cancelled 2 more times due to illness (This cold and flu season have been brutal). Its now upon me, and Im still dodging sick people and totally stressed. Scared as hell too. Not so much of the surgery (altho, thats scary too), but the aftermath. Im not big on pain pills, and I never taken one. Hoping I can power thru it without taking drugs of the narcotic type.

I have an ice machine ready, and lots of PT schyeduled. Any other tips for recovery and pain management?

seclark 02-20-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlota69 (Post 9419157)
I tore my ACL and Miniscus on Oct 4th. I was suppose to have surgery Dec 20th but sickness interfered. Then it got cancelled 2 more times due to illness (This cold and flu season have been brutal). Its now upon me, and Im still dodging sick people and totally stressed. Scared as hell too. Not so much of the surgery (altho, thats scary too), but the aftermath. Im not big on pain pills, and I never taken one. Hoping I can power thru it without taking drugs of the narcotic type.

I have an ice machine ready, and lots of PT schyeduled. Any other tips for recovery and pain management?

I think your therapy will go a lot smoother if you take the pain pills they give you
Sec

Carlota69 02-20-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seclark (Post 9419196)
I think your therapy will go a lot smoother if you take the pain pills they give you
Sec

Theyve given me Tylenol 3, cuz thats what I asked for, hoping that will do.

seclark 02-20-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlota69 (Post 9419199)
Theyve given me Tylenol 3, cuz thats what I asked for, hoping that will do.

My grndma couldn't get off on ty3
Eat em with a cracker.
Section

Carlota69 02-20-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seclark (Post 9419204)
My grndma couldn't get off on ty3
Eat em with a cracker.
Section

Lots of crackers..lol
I met a woman who had the same surgery. She did well with TY3, so Im hoping for the same.

Frosty 02-20-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlota69 (Post 9419157)
Hoping I can power thru it without taking drugs of the narcotic type.

Isn't codeine a narcotic? :shrug:

seclark 02-20-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlota69 (Post 9419213)
Lots of crackers..lol
I met a woman who had the same surgery. She did well with TY3, so Im hoping for the same.

best of luck. just saying, the less pain you have when you start bending it, the more flexibility you'll gain. helps in the long run.

as for me, i got a chunk about the size of the palm of my hand cut off my back last thursday. then, to top it off, they took 4 lymph nodes out from under my my right arm. slapped in a couple drains and stapled me up and sent me home w/a bottle of percs and a stool softener. i've ate the piss out of them. got the drain taken out yesterday and friday they pull the staples friday.

hell, i can't move anyway, and the wife won't let me have any beer w/that script in the house.
sec
sec

christ, i just read this...i'm ****ed up. later

Carlota69 02-20-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9419226)
Isn't codeine a narcotic? :shrug:

Its a mild form of a narcotic. at least in the form Im taking it.

Carlota69 02-20-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seclark (Post 9419246)
best of luck. just saying, the less pain you have when you start bending it, the more flexibility you'll gain. helps in the long run.

as for me, i got a chunk about the size of the palm of my hand cut off my back last thursday. then, to top it off, they took 4 lymph nodes out from under my my right arm. slapped in a couple drains and stapled me up and sent me home w/a bottle of percs and a stool softener. i've ate the piss out of them. got the drain taken out yesterday and friday they pull the staples friday.

hell, i can't move anyway, and the wife won't let me have any beer w/that script in the house.
sec
sec

christ, i just read this...i'm ****ed up. later

LOL
I hear ya. I understand that if the pain gets too bad, Im going to have to make something happen. Just hoping Im a tough ol bitch!!!:D

Iowanian 02-20-2013 02:10 PM

It'll be fine Carlota. Relax

I mean the worst that can happen is the doctor has a hangover and botches the surgery....or they use a dirty instrument or don't wash the table good enough and you get a staph infection that requires an entire leg and a labia and a half to be removed.

Other than that....not much to worry about.

My guts are bad enough I never have been able to take the pain pills. It would make the PT easier if you could, but I've proven a human can do it without them.

Frosty 02-20-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlota69 (Post 9419344)
LOL
I hear ya. I understand that if the pain gets too bad, Im going to have to make something happen. Just hoping Im a tough ol bitch!!!:D

Word of advice - trust Seclark about taking the stool softeners. :eek:

seclark 02-20-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9419355)
Word of advice - trust Seclark about taking the stool softeners. :eek:

no shit...when i was younger, after a few days i'd toss the stool softeners and save the pain meds for later. it's pretty much the opposite, now.
good luck carlota!
sec

FRCDFED 02-20-2013 02:40 PM

The most important thing is to push to achieve full range-of-motion (ROM) as soon as you can WITHOUT risking further injury. The best way to help with this is once the wounds heal to get in the bath tub and gradually increase the temp of the water. Soak for a while and then do ROM stretches. Do this EVERY night until you achieve full ROM.

Make no mistake about it you will be sore for a few weeks. Ice the knee to prevent swelling and sleep at night with an immobilizer on the knee to prevent inadvertant movement or putting your knee in a compromising position while you sleep. You will regret it if you don't.

Good luck!

Sorter 02-20-2013 02:55 PM

The best advice I can give is to stay consistent and positive with your rehab.

Titty Meat 02-20-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9419479)
The best advice I can give is to stay consistent and positive with your rehab.

Heh when I broke my ankle I only did rehab once. F THAT!