ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports MLB Hall of Fame class 2013. Will no one get in? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268665)

Mama Hip Rockets 01-09-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9301230)
I'd put Rafael Palmero at 8.

And you agree with the rest of the list?

duncan_idaho 01-09-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurman merman (Post 9301705)
I just don't get all the Biggio love. He was a good player, but nowhere near Hall of Fame material if you look at his numbers. .281 AVG, .363 OBP, 291 HR, 414 SB...solid, but definitely not HOF.

Yeah. Without his selfish quest for 3000 hits, Biggio isn't close to HoF worthy.

Biggio was WORSE THAN JEFF FRANCOEUR in each of his last two years (going by OPS)

Chief Roundup 01-09-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuckdaddy (Post 9301711)
Shut the hell up. A shrine my ass. Ruth and Cobb were known hooligans and countless others in the hall are not perfect choir boys. Its a type of sport reward not the Nobel peace prize.

WTF? I don't think it should be a shrine. But that seems to be what they are trying to treat it like considering this year was the best hitter in the history of baseball and one of the winningest cy young winner and neither can get it. And may never.
Since they call the place in Cooperstown The Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum. They should treat it like a Museum.

Deberg_1990 01-09-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Shut the hell up. A shrine my ass. Ruth and Cobb were known hooligans and countless others in the hall are not perfect choir boys. Its a type of sport reward not the Nobel peace prize.

It doesnt matter what you do or did off the field. The Roid Boys and Rose dont get in because what they did affected the integrity of the game.

DaneMcCloud 01-09-2013 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuckdaddy (Post 9301698)
Bonds and Clemons are first ballot. Baseball had a problem as a whole and now we are going to punish players with HOF denials. Its stupid and a worthless thing to do. Like still keeping Rose out. Baseball voters are so snotty.

Without the steroid scandal, I'd absolutely agree. But there's no way the Baseball Writers of America were going to make Bonds and Clemons first ballot Hall of Famers. I think they'll both get in someday but first ballot? No way.

Rose admitted to betting on baseball. Eight men were suspended for life back in the early 1920's, so Rose knew the consequences. If Rose hadn't been a Major League manager while betting on baseball, no one would care. But how can you justify a guy putting a guy in the Hall that bet on games, and possibly affecting their outcome, for his own personal (and financial) gain?

KChiefs1 01-09-2013 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurman merman (Post 9301705)
I just don't get all the Biggio love. He was a good player, but nowhere near Hall of Fame material if you look at his numbers. .281 AVG, .363 OBP, 291 HR, 414 SB...solid, but definitely not HOF.

3000+ hits.

Psyko Tek 01-09-2013 11:46 PM

simple rule no cheerleaders not a sport

so ****s given equals zero

KC_Connection 01-10-2013 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9301275)
Clemons, Bonds, McGwire, etc should never be voted in. The rules are the rules, it is clear they lack character, integrity, and sportsmanship, and you can take all your arguments about greenies, uppers, and spitballs, and you can go stuff it. You know whats like steroids? Steroids. Thats it, there is nothing comparable. None of that other stuff dramatically changes your body, damages your health, and forces other players who otherwise wouldn't have doped, to dope to keep their jobs. Many players extended careers because of it, and that means some honest clean ballplayers somewhere toiled away in the minors and never got called up because of it. Why not think about them? I don't care if baseball was complicit, those players knew they were cheating, and they did it anyway.

What an absolute load of hypocritical, sanctimonious horse shit based on no evidence this paragraph was.

I'll never get those who are perfectly fine with other forms of cheating in baseball (amphetamines, greenie use, spitballs, corked bats, etc.), but believe steroids somehow cross the line and that there is "nothing comparable" to them. Taking that opinion both a complete lack of perspective about baseball's drug culture and baseball history.

KC_Connection 01-10-2013 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9301788)
It doesnt matter what you do or did off the field. The Roid Boys and Rose dont get in because what they did affected the integrity of the game.

But how do you know which players used steroids and which players didn't use steroids in this HOF vote? For that matter, how do you know which players used them throughout baseball history? And why is one performance enhancer (steroids) considered differently than other performance enhancers (like say amphetamines)? And if you believe that all steroid users shouldn't make it in, should the HOF investigate and remove every player in the Hall that they find to have used any kind of steroid (or any kind of performance enhancer)?

blaise 01-10-2013 06:02 AM

Quote:

It says right in the voting requirements that character should be considered. They don't normally consider off the field issues as character issues, but it's reasonable to say that steroid use is a character issue.

blaise 01-10-2013 06:05 AM

As far as blaming the writers for not electing Bonds or Clemens - no one said they had to do steroids. They would have been hall of famers if they hadn't done steroids. Especially Bonds. He was already going to the Hall of Fame. Nobody made him do steroids. The person most to blame about Bonds not getting in is Bonds. He did it to himself.

And the writers aren't keeping Pete Rose out, and neither is the HOF. The writers and HOF don't have anything to do with Rose not being in the HOF, really.

Mama Hip Rockets 01-10-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 9301997)
3000+ hits.

Yeah, in 20 years. .281 AVG. Didn't even hit over .300 in any of his last nine seasons. Not impressed.

mnchiefsguy 01-10-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9301788)

So they will be kicking out Gaylord Perry here pretty soon right? He used spitballs, sandpaper, etc. to scuff the ball and cheat. That is cheating just like steroids.

The baseball writers knew this crap was going on the whole time, but they said nothing about it at the time. The whole lot of them are hypocrites.