ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Gearheads: 4/AWD or snow tires? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=327410)

Discuss Thrower 12-17-2019 04:55 PM

Gearheads: 4/AWD or snow tires?

What's the more cost effective solution to driving in the winter?

TribalElder 12-17-2019 04:57 PM

snow tires + awd

Bugeater 12-17-2019 04:58 PM

4WD is worth every penny it costs.

frozenchief 12-17-2019 05:12 PM

There's a difference between 4WD and AWD systems. AWD systems are run via computer and there's generally power going to all 4 wheels, but the amount of power can vary based upon road conditions. it also helps with cornering and other matters. So AWD is generally better than 4WD if your primary driving is on the street.

4WD, though, is great for snow and I would get 4WD on my vehicle as opposed to keeping a 2WD vehicle. I certainly would get a 4WD truck. I do not understand why someone would buy a 2WD truck.

Snow tires offer some benefits over rain tires but snow tires by themselves would not be my first choice. A few years ago, we were going to visit family in eastern Washington over holidays. A 4WD cost $2K for a week, which I really did not want to spend. So I got front wheel drive. We ran into some snow and had a really hard time going. I found a different rental company that had a 4WD for a lot less than I could otherwise find. Made all the difference in the world.

Buehler445 12-17-2019 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenchief (Post 14662642)
There's a difference between 4WD and AWD systems. AWD systems are run via computer and there's generally power going to all 4 wheels, but the amount of power can vary based upon road conditions. it also helps with cornering and other matters. So AWD is generally better than 4WD if your primary driving is on the street.

4WD, though, is great for snow and I would get 4WD on my vehicle as opposed to keeping a 2WD vehicle. I certainly would get a 4WD truck. I do not understand why someone would buy a 2WD truck.

Snow tires offer some benefits over rain tires but snow tires by themselves would not be my first choice. A few years ago, we were going to visit family in eastern Washington over holidays. A 4WD cost $2K for a week, which I really did not want to spend. So I got front wheel drive. We ran into some snow and had a really hard time going. I found a different rental company that had a 4WD for a lot less than I could otherwise find. Made all the difference in the world.

We only had 1 4X4 on the farm when I was growing up and the rest were 2X4.

2x4 isn't bad in most instances,snow/ice would be the time it is, but the ass end can't be empty and you have to have some pretty good tires. But overall we didn't have much trouble with 2X4 pickups. That and back when, the 4X4 ones turned all the time and really bled a lot of power, even when they weren't locked in.

That being said, they're all 4X4 now.

But yeah 2X4 on slick is a cluster**** from ****ing ****.

notorious 12-17-2019 05:18 PM

4WD

Disable traction control if you know how to drive. That bullshit has nearly gotten me stuck dozens of times.

limested 12-17-2019 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenchief (Post 14662642)

not quite accurate but close.

suzzer99 12-17-2019 05:21 PM

4WD with all terrain tires ftw.

https://www.tirerack.com/images/tire...o2_pdpcrop.jpg

Buehler445 12-17-2019 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 14662655)
4WD

Disable traction control if you know how to drive. That bullshit has nearly gotten me stuck dozens of times.

LOL Yeah, that's a joke. Dad had a pickup that you could shut it off, and it would flash up that it's off, and then it would continue to not send power anywhere.

neech 12-17-2019 05:23 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ei-EeDQyDS0?controls=0&amp;start=2" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

notorious 12-17-2019 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14662666)
LOL Yeah, that's a joke. Dad had a pickup that you could shut it off, and it would flash up that it's off, and then it would continue to not send power anywhere.

LMAO

I've damn near ripped the button out of the dash when traction control decides to **** me while driving through deep mud.

Starting checklist for Notorious:

1. Turn key to start
2. Turn off traction control
3. Everything else

Megatron96 12-17-2019 05:44 PM

Where are you driving? In relatively flat country, snow tires alone will probably do it.

If you're driving in the mountains or hilly country, 4WD with snow tires are the way to go.

Shiver Me Timbers 12-17-2019 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 14662610)
snow tires + awd

^ this

T-post Tom 12-17-2019 06:16 PM

Team of Alaskan Malamutes. :)

Bearcat 12-17-2019 06:18 PM

I could be completely wrong, but I think of AWS as more of a performance option than safety option. Great for getting started and accelerating out of turns when in the snow, but not sure it's really going to help otherwise.

Snow tires will help with braking as well... they're more of a safety thing.

My last two cars....
Summer tires + FWD... terrible getting traction in the snow.

All season tires + AWD... love it, but haven't had any 'oh shit' moments where I could say snow tires may or may not have been any better.