ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Watch Brick... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=170345)

pikesome 09-18-2007 03:21 PM

Watch Brick...

Wow. I had heard about it but never got around to bothering till today. One of the better Film Noir movies I've seen and that's not an easy genre to do well. The concept (a murder mystery in a high school) sounds eh but it was very well done IMHO. :thumb: :thumb:

IMDB Brick

Quote:

In a modern-day Southern California neighborhood and high school, student Brendan Frye's piercing intelligence spares no one. He's not afraid to back up his words with actions, and knows all the angles; yet he prefers to stay an outsider, and does - until the day that his ex-girlfriend, Emily, reaches out to him unexpectedly and then vanishes. His feelings for her still run deep; so much so, that he becomes consumed with finding his troubled inamorata. To find her, he enlists the aid of his only true peer, the Brain, while keeping the assistant vice principal only occasionally informed of what quickly becomes a dangerous investigation. Brendan's single-minded unearthing of students' secrets thrusts him headlong into the colliding social orbits of rich-girl sophisticate Laura, intimidating Tugger, substance-abusing Dode, seductive Kara, jock Brad and - most ominously - non-student the Pin. Only by gaining acceptance into the Pin's closely guarded inner circle of crime and punishment that Brendan will be able to uncover hard truths about himself, Emily and the suspects that he is getting closer to.

NewChief 09-18-2007 07:15 PM

I don't know why my previous post didn't go in, but yeah: this movie rocks. A "good" DVD has me sticking around to watch bonus features out of curiosity, kind of like a good book begs to be discussed. I watched every bonus feature and quite a bit of the director's comments on this one.

mikeyis4dcats. 09-18-2007 07:28 PM

this movie bored me out of my mind despite the high praise.

Simply Red 09-18-2007 08:18 PM

I'll wait.

for it to come over IFC or Sundance. But I'll check it out. You know me.

DJJasonp 09-18-2007 10:11 PM

I loved it.

This was one of those flicks that as soon as it was over...watched all of the special features.

If you can understand that the "speak-easy" slang is part of the shtick...and it doesnt bother you....you'll really enjoy a great little indie flick.

pikesome 09-18-2007 10:13 PM

I think the reason I really dug this movie was I had caught The Maltese Falcon on AMC some nights ago. It's probably my favorite Bogart film and one of my favorites period. I thought Brick did a good job channeling it. Like I said, it's hard to do Noir that doesn't seem dumb or far-fetched.

Otter 09-19-2007 02:54 PM

Not a bad movie but I couldn't buy these characters being high school students and the ending was a little 'didn't see that coming' obvious.

Rated 6/10

One of the best noir films you may have never heard of is "Way of the Gun". I'd love to hear what anyone who watched that may have thought.

pikesome 09-19-2007 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter
Not a bad movie but I couldn't buy these characters being high school students and the ending was a little 'didn't see that coming' obvious.

Rated 6/10

One of the best noir films you may have never heard of is "Way of the Gun". I'd love to hear what anyone who watched that may have thought.

My brother likes it quite a bit but I have a tough time getting in to it. I've never been able to finish. It's hard to watch a Ryan Phillippe movie for me. Benicio Del Toro isn't enough for me to get over that.

007 04-20-2013 10:49 PM

99 cent movie of the day on Vudu