ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Misc iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, or Samsung S4 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276165)

luv 09-12-2013 04:00 PM

Oh...the better camera will probably win me over.

loochy 09-12-2013 04:01 PM

Luv, it seems like you are the type of user that won't really notice or appreciate the difference between Apple and Android. Unless you want the bigger screen, you should probably just stick with what you are used to. This is coming from the biggest Apple hater in the world, too.

DaFace 09-12-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9966605)
Your track record of predicting the failure of Apple products is awful, so I'll go with the opposite of whatever you say :)

"Death spiral" is definitely taking it a bit far, but it's pretty clear that Apple has lost its mojo since Steve left. Hell, the recent phone "upgrades" were boring enough that no one even started a thread about it.

DaFace 09-12-2013 04:03 PM

Oh, and I'd vote for the S4, though I'm admittedly an Android fan.

Silock 09-12-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9966610)
"Death spiral" is definitely taking it a bit far, but it's pretty clear that Apple has lost its mojo since Steve left. Hell, the recent phone "upgrades" were boring enough that no one even started a thread about it.

I was going to, but I know the kind of hate Apple gets around here, so there's no real reason to even post anything. Apple could cure cancer, and AustinChief would have the first post in the thread going "Stay away. Android's cancer cure is right around the corner and is going to blow away Apple's."

There's just no point.

AustinChief 09-12-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9966610)

Death spiral isn't taking it too far at all. I am not saying that they can't save themselves but RIGHT NOW they are bleeding market share and mind space at a record pace.

I have no problem with them losing market share but I am worried that they have simply stopped innovating. That doesn't bode well for anyone.

AustinChief 09-12-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Your track record of predicting the failure of Apple products is awful, so I'll go with the opposite of whatever you say :)

WHAT? My track record has been spot on. Are you on crack? I predicted that the iPhone would fall down to the sub 20% range of global market share and it did. I predicted the same for iPads... same result. I predicted that it would be YEARS not months for FLASH to get phased out.. I was spot on there as well. I predicted that despite Apple's push for HTML5 that we would be years away from anything remotely resembling standard adoption... and here we still sit.

I think my only big prediction to go bad was that h.264 would face problems with VP8 coming out. They did but not at all to the degree I hoped for.. so I'll take it on the chin on that one.

I think the problem is that you look at my predictions and fail to look at the timeframes involved... either that or you are delusional about what I am predicting.

AustinChief 09-12-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Not disagreeing with that. But the S4 has them, too. Eye tracking is ****ing dumb.

Totally agree here, the S4 has a ton of goofy shit on it... but the IR blaster is pretty damn cool.

Nothing better than changing the TVs at the bar with my phone.

BlackHelicopters 09-12-2013 04:32 PM

Samsung

AustinChief 09-12-2013 05:20 PM

To be evenhanded on my bashing... anyone look at the Samsung "smart"watch? BLECH. I really want a watch with a screen that you can't read in sunlight and the charge lasts less than a day. Qualcomm's Toq design actually looks the best so far. It's the only one that makes any real practical sense at least.

It's like the entire mobile industry went stupid recently. Everything lately has been pretty disappointing.

DaFace 09-12-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9966751)
To be evenhanded on my bashing... anyone look at the Samsung "smart"watch? BLECH. I really want a watch with a screen that you can't read in sunlight and the charge lasts less than a day. Qualcomm's Toq design actually looks the best so far. It's the only one that makes any real practical sense at least.

It's like the entire mobile industry went stupid recently. Everything lately has been pretty disappointing.

I'm not all that impressed with the "smart watch" concept as a whole. I'm much more of a fan of the Pebble model, where the watch is just an accessory for your phone rather than an independent, full-blown computer. That model seems like it will be much more sustainable and able to adapt to new capabilities by leaning on the phone to do the heavy lifting.

KCFalcon59 09-12-2013 05:33 PM

I'd wait and check out the next Nexus phone. Should be coming out soon. Pure android without all the excess bloat from the carriers. I have the iPhone 4S and the GS4 and think the GS4 blows it away. The Swype/Swiftkey/Google default keyboard is way better than the iPhone. Bigger better screen. Voice dictation is much more accurate on GS4 than my iPhone.

Though Cut/Copy/Paste on the iPhone is superior. Android irritates the shit out of me when I am copying something and it will not paste. WTF!!!

AustinChief 09-12-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9966776)
I'm not all that impressed with the "smart watch" concept as a whole. I'm much more of a fan of the Pebble model, where the watch is just an accessory for your phone rather than an independent, full-blown computer. That model seems like it will be much more sustainable and able to adapt to new capabilities by leaning on the phone to do the heavy lifting.

I agree 100%. The problem with Pebble is that it's a pretty crappy display. The Toq on the other hand is color and can handle video... so it's basically a Pebble with a badass display that can be read in daylight and uses a tiny amount of energy. Of course the Toq is really just a reference design that others will need to manufacture.

AustinChief 09-12-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCFalcon59 (Post 9966783)
I'd wait and check out the next Nexus phone. Should be coming out soon. Pure android without all the excess bloat from the carriers. I have the iPhone 4S and the GS4 and think the GS4 blows it away. The Swype/Swiftkey/Google default keyboard is way better than the iPhone. Bigger better screen. Voice dictation is much more accurate on GS4 than my iPhone.

Though Cut/Copy/Paste on the iPhone is superior. Android irritates the shit out of me when I am copying something and it will not paste. WTF!!!

Didn't think about this.. but yeah I'd wait to see what the next Nexus is like as well.

AustinChief 09-12-2013 05:44 PM

Completely the wrong thread for this.. but has anyone seen the new Paypal Beacon? I think they have a legit shot at making both Google Wallet and whatever the **** that silly iPhone payment mess is.. obsolete. It works with most POS systems and is a pretty damn neat implementation...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/g8h_i8qv1FY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We have a thing called "TabbedOut" here in Austin but I could see this even replacing that. (depending on what they end up charging)