ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics Plasma vs LCD? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=277198)

Mr. Laz 10-08-2013 11:14 AM

Plasma vs LCD?

looking at getting a new 50-60 inch t.v.

Plasma or LCD?

any spec that's critical for a quality t.v.?

don't care about getting a smart t.v.

petegz28 10-08-2013 11:41 AM

Plasma better for sports but if you have a lot of glare in the room it will show

LCD good if there is a lot of glare in the room

Mr. Laz 10-08-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 10063553)
Plasma better for sports but if you have a lot of glare in the room it will show

LCD good if there is a lot of glare in the room

it's going into a sunroom so i guess that makes the decision for me. lol

petegz28 10-08-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 10065178)
it's going into a sunroom so i guess that makes the decision for me. lol

Try to get a 240hz refresh if you can. The faster the refresh the better for fast moving action.

Nightfyre 10-08-2013 09:21 PM

Oh but plasma has much truer color.... but the glare off the glass screen can be a pain. but the picture quality is so hot....

DaneMcCloud 10-08-2013 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 10063437)
looking at getting a new 50-60 inch t.v.

Plasma or LCD?

any spec that's critical for a quality t.v.?

don't care about getting a smart t.v.

LED LCD and be sure to get a wireless equipped model because firmware updates are easy (and often automatic).

I have a 65 inch Sharp Aquos that's 120 and have zero issues with any sports. As I've recommended so many times, purchase from Costco because they double the manufacture's warranty. My parents had a 55" LCD Samsung that failed just after the warranty expired and Costco replaced the TV with a better model.

Bowser 10-08-2013 09:37 PM

What Dane said.

I have an older 50" Sony LCD which works fine, but I want an LED model soooo bad. The picture is just amazing.

Pants 10-08-2013 10:08 PM

Plasma has superior picture and color accuracy, not to mention the true blacks. Plasma screens are heavy, the glare can suck and they use up way more electricity. The picture quality trumps all those things, IMO.

DaneMcCloud 10-08-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 10065752)
What Dane said.

I have an older 50" Sony LCD which works fine, but I want an LED model soooo bad. The picture is just amazing.

I have three Vizio LED LCD's and they're great. They're super lightweight, extremely energy efficient and don't exude any heat (which was really important to me).

I'd highly recommend them and they have great prices at Costco.

That said, I don't exactly "miss" them when I'm watching my Sharp Aquos 65 and 47 or even the Vizio 47 LCD. At the end of the day, all of these TV's have great pictures.

Sound bars are required, however, at least for me.

Pants 10-08-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10065892)

Sound bars are required, however, at least for me.

Are those things actually worth getting?

KCwolf 10-08-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 10065201)
Try to get a 240hz refresh if you can. The faster the refresh the better for fast moving action.

This.

DaneMcCloud 10-08-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 10065912)
Are those things actually worth getting?

Oh, hells yeah!

The LCD's and especially the LED's are worthless when it comes to audio. There's no bass, whatsoever (and how could there be in a 2" thick box?).

I purchased a Vizio VSB200 sound bar for our playroom (47" LED) because my 5 year old could no longer hear the TV due to the 1 year old. I mounted it, wired it through the optical port and BAM! Killer sound with very nice bass. It can completely fill our 23x22 room with hardwoods.

I bought a Samsung unit with wireless subwoofer for my parents last Christmas because they have an "Open Floorplan" and my mom could never hear the TV because it faced my Dad's "chair". I hooked it up for them and it immediately filled the room as well. They're ecstatic.

I purchased the same one for a room in my house and it sounds just as good. But the family room (65") was always lacking in sound with the TV volume only. I had to turn it up to like 50-55 before I could hear anything and again, no bottom end. So, I purchased another Vizio VSB200 last week and plugged in my existing 10" sub and it's just flat out amazing. Completely fills the room and sounds awesome. I'm hooking up my rear's tomorrow via an optical splitter and I'll have a true home theater sound, finally.

Now all I need to do is get everyone out of the house so I can use it.

:D

Pants 10-08-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10065958)
Oh, hells yeah!

The LCD's and especially the LED's are worthless when it comes to audio. There's no bass, whatsoever (and how could there be in a 2" thick box?).

I purchased a Vizio VSB200 sound bar for our playroom (47" LED) because my 5 year old could no longer hear the TV due to the 1 year old. I mounted it, wired it through the optical port and BAM! Killer sound with very nice bass. It can completely fill our 23x22 room with hardwoods.

I bought a Samsung unit with wireless subwoofer for my parents last Christmas because they have an "Open Floorplan" and my mom could never hear the TV because it faced my Dad's "chair". I hooked it up for them and it immediately filled the room as well. They're ecstatic.

I purchased the same one for a room in my house and it sounds just as good. But the family room (65") was always lacking in sound with the TV volume only. I had to turn it up to like 50-55 before I could hear anything and again, no bottom end. So, I purchased another Vizio VSB200 last week and plugged in my existing 10" sub and it's just flat out amazing. Completely fills the room and sounds awesome. I'm hooking up my rear's tomorrow via an optical splitter and I'll have a true home theater sound, finally.

Now all I need to do is get everyone out of the house so I can use it.

:D

Cool, man. I always wondered about those. Thanks.

Silock 10-08-2013 10:44 PM

I hate soundbars. I'd rather build my own speakers for cheap.

DaneMcCloud 10-08-2013 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10065974)
I hate soundbars. I'd rather build my own speakers for cheap.

I can't get away with stuff like that because my wife wants things sleek in "living" rooms.

And as a someone who cares greatly and deeply about sound, if you purchase the "right" kit for your room, they can sound great.